Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2023, 09:14 PM   #841
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished Peripheral - really enjoyed this one. Looking forward to season 2
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:24 PM   #842
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

With the news of Amazon dropping Jeremy Clarkson you do get a view into what content is coming up:

Clarkson's Farm:
Season 2 - Feb 10, 2023
Season 3 - expected 2024

Grand Tour:
Four more specials with the last one expected to come in end 2024 or beginning of 2025.

The way Amazon has dropped Clarkson seems a bit odd. It's not like they're dropping him...more like playing out the duration of the contract with no option for renewal. It makes sense given the health and age of the presenter trio, including Clarkson.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/j...ed-1235490701/
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:59 AM   #843
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched High School with my wife and 13yo. Right in the nostalgia wheelhouse for those of us in high school at that time. I felt they did a really good job with the story and characters, hoping they can do season 2 since they pretty much leave it wide open.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:02 AM   #844
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
With the news of Amazon dropping Jeremy Clarkson you do get a view into what content is coming up:

Clarkson's Farm:
Season 2 - Feb 10, 2023
Season 3 - expected 2024

Grand Tour:
Four more specials with the last one expected to come in end 2024 or beginning of 2025.

The way Amazon has dropped Clarkson seems a bit odd. It's not like they're dropping him...more like playing out the duration of the contract with no option for renewal. It makes sense given the health and age of the presenter trio, including Clarkson.

https://variety.com/2023/tv/global/j...ed-1235490701/
It may be a guaranteed contract. Depending on how this plays out in the future, they may just have to pay him and just cancel the show.

On a side note: what the F*** Jeremy???!!! I really enjoy his shows and this was the last thing I expected. Dammit…
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2023, 10:16 AM   #845
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnarpy View Post
It may be a guaranteed contract. Depending on how this plays out in the future, they may just have to pay him and just cancel the show.

On a side note: what the F*** Jeremy???!!! I really enjoy his shows and this was the last thing I expected. Dammit…
I think its more along the lines of: "We're going to do this right now and let this whole thing blow over and revisit in 2025."

That being said, I hadnt heard anything about this until a few days ago.

Clarkson is essentially a Professional Jackass but I dont know what would compel someone to write something like that.

I generally enjoy Clarkson's humour because I'm really not easily offended, but really it has only been a matter of time before one of these events really catches up with him.

He's really been giving Trump a run for his money for the title of 'Teflon King.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:25 PM   #846
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting sideways shuffle...

Quote:
According to the Daily Telegraph, while Amazon were 'incandescent' over Clarkson's column about Meghan Markle, the real reason they aren't keeping him on is because his shows are so expensive to make.

They cited a source at Amazon who claimed it was 'nonsense' that the streaming platform was ditching The Grand Tour and Clarkson's Farm host over his recent column.

Instead, it's because he's a very expensive hire and his shows just aren't drawing in the sorts of audiences Amazon wants to see from Prime subscribers.

Three quarters of Amazon Prime viewers are in the US where Clarkson is not a big enough star to draw in large audiences.

Demand for Clarkson's Farm is apparently 30 percent below the Amazon Prime average in the US, which does beg the question why you'd pay big money to someone who underperforms in your biggest market.
https://www.ladbible.com/entertainme...54542-20230119

If thats true then obviously it makes sense.

It also appears that he's not losing his 'Who Wants to be a Millionaire' gig either.

Its odd, they're going to obviously release 'Clarkson's Farm' season 2 because I think its essentially done, but they're not canceling Season 3 which I dont think has even started filming? It just seems like they're not going to commission a Season 4.

And The Grand Tour...I love it, but yeah, I bet that show is stupid expensive to make and I have no information about its US viewership other than this article.

We sort of all figured that the GT wasnt long for this world when they stopped doing regular shows and seasons and just straight to specials.

They're 62, 60 and 53 and all doing their own things.

Personally I hope that May keeps doing his 'Our Man in...' series as I really enjoy those.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-21-2023, 07:37 PM   #847
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I really enjoy Clarkson at face value, but he seems likely to be an absolute ass who was destined to have another "event", just as he did at BBC.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:47 PM   #848
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I really enjoy Clarkson at face value, but he seems likely to be an absolute ass who was destined to have another "event", just as he did at BBC.
Ditto. I think the guy is hilarious. But he's an ass.

I'd never say 'people should be more like Clarkson.' Hell no. Its funny because he does it with the certain panache of British buffoonery and for whatever reason he gets away with a lot.

Its great entertainment.

But Clarkson is such an odd duck. He travels in insane circles in his personal life, like, hell, he emailed Prince Harry to apologize, so he cant be a complete nightmare personally. Although...you'd think he would be.

I dont know. But I dont have to know, he's an entertainer. He's the last person on earth that I'd care about their politics or his opinion on the Royal family.

I largely dont care one iota about British politics or the Royal family as it is much less what Clarkson thinks of them.

Also he's a Chelsea fan so he is pretty clearly and objectively 'scum of the Earth' he just happens to be hilarious and I dont think there is any program that he's done that I havent found entertaining.

Old 01-21-2023, 07:48 PM   #849
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The impression I get is it's kinda like the Don Cherry firing. They were already looking to get rid of him because he's old and expensive, then he just gave them a good reason to do it now and get it over with
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:59 PM   #850
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
The impression I get is it's kinda like the Don Cherry firing. They were already looking to get rid of him because he's old and expensive, then he just gave them a good reason to do it now and get it over with
Thats as good a theory as any.

It ticks pretty much every box.

Old. Expensive. Controversy Prone. Lower Ratings than Targeted.

Yeah. Why not?

Old 01-21-2023, 08:15 PM   #851
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I don't mean to excuse it either, I'd still love Clarkson no matter what he says, but looking at it from Amazon's point of view; Yeah, fair enough
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 02:28 PM   #852
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't follow him enough to know whether this is true about him in the past but he sure comes across as a flaming misognyst in his article in the Sun about Meghan Markle. If that is representative of his work, I don't care how "entertaining" he is.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 04:51 PM   #853
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Clarkson has always been a giant knobhead, I seem to remember him making all kinds of non-PC comments back in the day.

Just look how long the controversies section is on his wikipedia page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy...#Controversies
Old 02-10-2023, 09:38 AM   #854
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well..in fortuitous timing, Clarkson's Farm Season 2 just dropped today.

Will the masses abstain in protest? We shall see.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2023, 03:47 PM   #855
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well..in fortuitous timing, Clarkson's Farm Season 2 just dropped today.

Will the masses abstain in protest? We shall see.
Clarkson is a knob but he's hardly the worst person in the world. I'm more offended that he collects (or tries to collect) government funding for his hobby farm while spending big bucks on new equipment and having customers lined up down the road because of his celebrity. That money should go to farmers who actually need it.

Having said that, after two episodes, season two has been great. I don't know who told him cattle would be easier than sheep but he finds out quickly how wrong that is.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2023, 03:57 PM   #856
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Clarkson is a knob but he's hardly the worst person in the world. I'm more offended that he collects (or tries to collect) government funding for his hobby farm while spending big bucks on new equipment and having customers lined up down the road because of his celebrity. That money should go to farmers who actually need it.

Having said that, after two episodes, season two has been great. I don't know who told him cattle would be easier than sheep but he finds out quickly how wrong that is.
Okay, fair enough, I see that somewhat differently.

Sure, Clarkson is a complete tool and for my entertainment thats fine.

But British Farm and Agricultural Subsidies are a very sore point for a lot of people, I'm not going to get into all of it, but I'll bullet the two main points:

1. Its not a limited pool. If real Farmers need it, they'll get it, its not as though Clarkson is taking anything away from anyone.

2. If you take issue with Clarkson, you should see how much the Queen (now King) and the Royal Family in general collect in Agricultural subsidies. It'll make you physically ill.

And its not just Clarkson and the Royal Family there are a lot of wealthy people in the UK collecting Government assistance money by simple virtue of owning land.

If anything I think Clarkson is (less than subtly) taking digs at a lot of the absurdity that surrounds the bureaucracy in the UK concerning Farming and trying to show that people in the UK running farms arent likely getting rich by doing it.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to season 2.

Old 02-11-2023, 07:16 PM   #857
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

Besides his fancy tractor, i don't believe he purchased any other new equipment. All purchased at auction. All his expenses were taken into consideration. The only thing he was really living on was his own money. Although his salary is insane.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:52 PM   #858
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This looks great!

Old 03-10-2023, 04:52 PM   #859
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone who is very familiar with the Okanagan, particularly Penticton, might have interest in checking this out.

Not just filmed in Penticton, but actually set in Penticton. It's a bit cheesy, but in a decently charming and humorous kind of way, and it does a really nice job of featuring the town.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 07:42 PM   #860
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got thru season 1 of Hunters. In my opinion the show really jumped the shark in the last episode of the first season

I will have to dig deep to watch season 2