Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 01:42 PM   #361
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Holy ####, Roiland is so much worse than I thought

https://www.reddit.com/r/h3h3product...minors_etc_on/
Him saying stupid #### on a podcast is worse than felony domestic abuse? How is that exactly?

Being a creep isn’t illegal. Beating up your partner is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:43 PM   #362
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Hulu has dropped him as well. Hopefully they can keep making Solar Opposites but I kinda doubt it.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/hulu-dr...es-1235240666/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:15 PM   #363
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Him saying stupid #### on a podcast is worse than felony domestic abuse? How is that exactly?

Being a creep isn’t illegal. Beating up your partner is.
It's not just saying stupid ####, he actively harassed underaged girls

https://www.reddit.com/r/adultswim/c...xts_to_minors/
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 04:10 PM   #364
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

And I don't think you were saying harassing underaged girls is 'worse' than domestic abuse, but rather "Roiland is so much worse than you thought" because not only is he accused of assaulting a woman he dated, but on top of that he also harasses teenaged girls and espouses pedophilic ideas.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 04:23 PM   #365
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
And I don't think you were saying harassing underaged girls is 'worse' than domestic abuse, but rather "Roiland is so much worse than you thought" because not only is he accused of assaulting a woman he dated, but on top of that he also harasses teenaged girls and espouses pedophilic ideas.
It sounds like Adult Swim was willing to let the initial case proceed further before taking any action.

Once these texts came out it was Game Over. There's some Jefferey Epstein-type roping underage girls into orgies type of stuff going on there. Plus reading through them, as he imitates the language of teen girls to groom them, is just beyond sickening. I'd describe the texts as more than just harassing, and more on the level of grooming and setting up sexual assaults.

I think the difference between the charges and the texts, is that with the confinement charge there's still some benefit of the doubt and a degree of innocent until proven guilty. How do you possibly explain sending texts like that to girls who tell you they are still in high school?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 05:11 PM   #366
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It sounds like Adult Swim was willing to let the initial case proceed further before taking any action.

Once these texts came out it was Game Over. There's some Jefferey Epstein-type roping underage girls into orgies type of stuff going on there. Plus reading through them, as he imitates the language of teen girls to groom them, is just beyond sickening. I'd describe the texts as more than just harassing, and more on the level of grooming and setting up sexual assaults.

I think the difference between the charges and the texts, is that with the confinement charge there's still some benefit of the doubt and a degree of innocent until proven guilty. How do you possibly explain sending texts like that to girls who tell you they are still in high school?
I didn't want to make any judgements against Roiland when the domestic violence story first broke because those situations can be very muddy, and everyone deserves the benefit of innocent until proven guilty. But the mountains of texts removes any doubt, he's a complete piece of #### and I just hope he was caught early enough before he could act on the serial grooming he was doing
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:17 PM   #367
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
It's not just saying stupid ####, he actively harassed underaged girls

https://www.reddit.com/r/adultswim/c...xts_to_minors/
I’m aware. But that’s not the link you shared originally. However, the felony domestic abuse is still much worse than some creepy DMs.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:23 PM   #368
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't want to make any judgements against Roiland when the domestic violence story first broke because those situations can be very muddy, and everyone deserves the benefit of innocent until proven guilty. But the mountains of texts removes any doubt, he's a complete piece of #### and I just hope he was caught early enough before he could act on the serial grooming he was doing
You always want to avoid any victim blaming, but you never know when it's going to be more of an Amber Heard type of situation. Anyone can make any accusation. But yeah, texts to high school girls like that are inexcusable.
Old 01-25-2023, 05:29 PM   #369
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
I’m aware. But that’s not the link you shared originally. However, the felony domestic abuse is still much worse than some creepy DMs.
I think the point was we really didn't know if the domestic abuse accusations were true or not, or even the extent of the abuse....given all the DMs about S&M, orgies, and controlling underage girls, most people are now a lot more inclined to believe the accuser.

This isn't a contest, it's all bad behaviour, but it also sounds like there was more than DMs going on. You've also got multiple women stating that he had an M.O. of luring young girls out for seemingly innocent purposes and then getting them wasted so that they would participate in very hardcore sex acts. All the texts so far seem to show the girls rebuffing him. Hopefully, no one actually fell victim to that.
Old 01-25-2023, 07:30 PM   #370
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

how dumb can you be to DM underage girls repeatedly (who he allegedly has his friend/girlfriend scout out for him fitting a description) for threesomes when that stuff can be traced back to you in an instant with the good old screenshot function

for a guy that helped write a pretty intelligent show he sure is dumb as rocks. should've sought help to sort out his attraction to youth, rather than impulsively acting on it using his personal twitter/Instagram like a pickup app, essentially mass soliciting himself to these kids hoping to get someone to bite

clearly the guy isn't very self aware, but it's also too bad that it looks like the people close to him also enabled those thoughts and that behaviour for quite some time, including that podcast (although they probably took it as part of his edgy/dark humor/persona)

Solar Opposites is one of my favorite things so this just sucks

damn you Justin

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-25-2023 at 07:33 PM.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #371
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is, but a verdict also hadn't been determined on that either

Being accused/charged doesn't equal being convicted

We've yet to find out whether he's an abuser & a creep or just a creep, but given the actions of the networks (who probably wouldn't come to that decision easily when it could sewer their hit shows) it doesn't look good
Old 01-25-2023, 10:47 PM   #372
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
how dumb can you be to DM underage girls repeatedly
There's a guy who posts shorts on YouTube that shows creeps making creepy comments on young girls' videos, and the profiles have full pictures of them like they don't think they're doing anything wrong at all.

Maybe they really don't think it's wrong so they don't see any reason to hide their behaviour.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:00 PM   #373
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Sounds like Justin Roiland was just a peach to work with. It seems like the writing process was, if anything, hampered by his presence, and Dan Harmon and Roiland haven't really spoken in YEARS.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv...ty-1235319366/

Quote:
More recently, multiple sources say that Roiland, other than voice work, has not had any meaningful creative presence on any of the series that bear his name. In fact, many of his former colleagues say they haven’t heard from him in years, and when they have, it’s been unpleasant. They note, too, that he hasn’t been on speaking terms with his Rick and Morty co-creator, Dan Harmon, for multiple seasons, and a substantial number of staffers on that show as well as Solar Opposites and Koala Man have never actually met Roiland, even over Zoom.
Quote:
During season two, Roiland began pulling away, increasingly uninterested in being in a room that had given him great joy only a season earlier. In fact, at one point, he was sitting so far away from the other writers that in order for him to read what was being written on the whiteboard, he had to grab the pair of binoculars that was in the room to scope out wildlife in the mountains overlooking Burbank. “It was like a visual representation of the problem forming,” says a source, who adds: “He also loved VR, and he kept being like, ‘Wouldn’t it be amazing if we could do this show in VR and never have to be near each other?’ And that was the thing: This is a guy who likes being home with his dogs, not in a room with writers, and he wasn’t afraid to say that.”
Quote:
At some point during the third season of Rick and Morty, multiple sources say Roiland simply stopped showing up — and when he did turn up in the Burbank offices, he’d typically avoid the writers room. In fact, Roiland’s colleagues often knew he was there only because they could hear his dogs. Or they’d hear his remote-control toy car, which had a microphone on top of it, zooming around the office. At least once, Roiland sent it into the writers room, says a source. “You wouldn’t have seen him in weeks, and then you’d see the car come in, which was insane.”
Yikes..
Old 02-07-2023, 04:33 PM   #374
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

When Roiland was on Harmontown he came across as pretty disturbed. It wasn't obvious that he was abusive but you could tell Dan was having trouble dealing with him.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:35 PM   #375
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This comes across as PR to me tbh.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:32 PM   #376
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This comes across as PR to me tbh.
I think there’s a lot of damage control going on here, but Dan and Justin not being on speaking terms for years is a massive, and specific, revelation.

Say what you want about Harmon but he’s no corporate stooge. If this wasn’t real he’d shoot it down in a second.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #377
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

With all the voice work he's required to do, I doubt he was as absent as they're making it sound. Maybe from the writers room specifically in later seasons. But the seasons simply would not get finished if he slacked off as much as they're claiming

Those comments sound like colleagues looking to throw him under the bus and distance themselves as much as possible, for the show's future. "He was barely a part of it for years anyways!"

Probably a narrative they were instructed to put out there.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:58 PM   #378
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
With all the voice work he's required to do, I doubt he was as absent as they're making it sound. Maybe from the writers room specifically in later seasons. But the seasons simply would not get finished if he slacked off as much as they're claiming

Those comments sound like colleagues looking to throw him under the bus and distance themselves as much as possible, mainly for the show's future. "He was barely a part of it for years anyways!"

Many voice actors never even meet their fellow actors. The amount of voice work he does isn’t indicative of time he spends around the office.

It also seems like something that would be quickly and easily debunked. If he was always there, it would be hard to pretend that he wasn’t.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:37 PM   #379
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Those comments sound like colleagues looking to throw him under the bus and distance themselves as much as possible, for the show's future. "He was barely a part of it for years anyways!"

I have no idea what was actually happening, but I'd imagine the voice acting can be pretty divorced from the writing process.

I also worked at a restaurant with an actress who did voice work for cartoons. She always said the actual recording was a very quick process. You don't have to set up stages, deal with wardrobe/makeup, worry about body positions, etc.... If someone makes a mistake, you just pick up a few lines earlier and keep going.

They film R&M in five episode blocks. Roiland could probably be in and out in a couple of days.
Old 02-09-2023, 07:43 PM   #380
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I have no idea what was actually happening, but I'd imagine the voice acting can be pretty divorced from the writing process.

I also worked at a restaurant with an actress who did voice work for cartoons. She always said the actual recording was a very quick process. You don't have to set up stages, deal with wardrobe/makeup, worry about body positions, etc.... If someone makes a mistake, you just pick up a few lines earlier and keep going.

They film R&M in five episode blocks. Roiland could probably be in and out in a couple of days.
Yeah, this is very true. I remember reading something about 'The Incredibles' where the primary cast banged out the entire thing rather quickly except for Craig T. Nelson who apparently took forever.

I've seen youtube videos of Roiland prank calling places as drunken Rick so I'm guessing he was pretty proficient at it and could probably crank out his parts in no time.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote