Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #9141
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

50% retention and a cap dump would be my guess if a first was offered for Anderson
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 06:52 PM   #9142
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

HNIC:

NHLPA down to 2 or 3 candidates for Executive Director
One of the finalists is Mike Gillis

Oilers believed to be one of many teams interested in Bjugstad

No talks between pending UFA Carson Soucy and Kraken

Teams looking for a goalie might look at Khoudobin
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 07:33 PM   #9143
C_of_Red28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think we need Anderson.. We need a goal scorer. Let's not waste our cap space on a guy like Anderson.
C_of_Red28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:16 PM   #9144
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
If Markstrom does want to move on, he better start playing better, or there won't be any takers.

I could see it though. One of the reasons he left Vancouver was because he wanted to go somewhere where he was the undisputed #1, and with Demko coming up at the time, it looked like he was going to have to share to goal more. Maybe he is seeing the same thing with Vladar pushing this year and Wolf coming down the line.
Markstrom is turning himself into a #2.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:36 PM   #9145
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Markstrom is turning himself into a #2.
That’s okay, Sutter will get him going.

MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 11:15 PM   #9146
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_of_Red28 View Post
I don't think we need Anderson.. We need a goal scorer. Let's not waste our cap space on a guy like Anderson.
I tend to agree, although if it did happen, he would instantly improve our size, speed, and physicality. Plus, if he got a chance to play with our centers, or opposite to a playmaker like Huberdeau, he might rediscover his scoring touch.

I still wouldn't move a first for him, and that cap-hit would be tough to swallow for the amount of risk there is.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 12:48 AM   #9147
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I tend to agree, although if it did happen, he would instantly improve our size, speed, and physicality. Plus, if he got a chance to play with our centers, or opposite to a playmaker like Huberdeau, he might rediscover his scoring touch.

I still wouldn't move a first for him, and that cap-hit would be tough to swallow for the amount of risk there is.

I don't know. I don't think had a scoring touch that can be re-discovered but maybe he has one that is still waiting to be discovered. He's a very overpaid 3rd liner and not something the Flames need.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:12 AM   #9148
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can we all please stop asking to trade for old vets, we have more than enough of those already, adding another is not going to move the needle a great deal in the positive direction.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 03:31 AM   #9149
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
Can we all please stop asking to trade for old vets, we have more than enough of those already, adding another is not going to move the needle a great deal in the positive direction.
Nobody asked to trade for an old vet.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 08:35 AM   #9150
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nobody asks but it’s a guarantee that’s what they’ll do.
Treliving will add a vet. The question is who?
Flamesfan05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 08:46 AM   #9151
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Although unpopular, I could see the Flames having interest in Anderson. Treliving has been said to have coveted the player while he was a BJ, i believe Pinder spoke of the Flames offering Monahan as part of a deal at one point in time. Could just have been his speculation l but there may have been something to it.

Anderson also seems to be a player right up Sutter’s alley. Place him with Kadri and Huberdeau, and that could be a formidable line. I could also see Anderson as a built in replacement for Lucic at years end. Rightly or wrongly, I think Treliving and Sutter see a place for an imposing physical presence in the line up. Anderson can do that.

Biggest hurdle I see is the contract. Too much for too long. Would Montreal retain? I doubt it. Like most other Canadian teams they probably intend to spend to the cap without dead weight. Especially if the much discussed PLD to Montreal comes to fruition. The appetite to put together a playoff team together is going to be as high as it has ever been. Therefore, the acquisition cost needs to be low for it to be palatable for the Flames. I would go as high as a second (preferably 2024) and Kevin Rooney. If some other team is offering a first, then it’s fine to look elsewhere.

For the record, I think the Flames should punt on the season. Way too inconsistent. Even when they win they don’t look good half the time or seem to put their A game on the ice or a full 60. Seattle was encouraging but so was the second game in St. Louis a few weeks back. I don’t think they’ve earned the trust from management to bolster the roster with way they’ve squandered points this season. Coupled with Kylington’s absence, which is looking more and more like it will be for the year, Tanev’s injury, and perhaps most importantly Markstrom’s hugely disappointing season l, I think the Flames play this one out and reassess in the offseason. If they trade their first, or second, it had better be worth it.

Last edited by TOfan; 01-29-2023 at 08:59 AM.
TOfan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 08:48 AM   #9152
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Nobody asks but it’s a guarantee that’s what they’ll do.
Treliving will add a vet. The question is who?
Dr.Seuss, is that you? Or maybe the reveal of the poster haiku? If that’s what they’ll do and the question is who, hopefully it’s for someone as good as Giroux!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 09:14 AM   #9153
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And why would Huberdeau sign an extension with the team where he's producing his worst totals in a long time.
So it would have resulted in them flipping him instead and at his lowest value.

It's in everyone's best interest (Huberdeau and the Flames) to find a way to get him going. Including at some point if he did want to be traded that only happens if he's producing.

But the notion that they should have waited and then he would have signed a lower contract is dumb. If they waited you are looking at having to trade him for sure, and at low value. Which maybe will still have been better than the deal they signed, but the scenario you are describing doesn't exist.
Huberdeau’s return at reduced value without an extension is still a situation I’d much rather be in vs the term and dollars owed to him. His contract is a boat anchor. I’d sooner the cap flexibility plus whatever he’d have returned, even at a diminished value.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #9154
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Huberdeau’s return at reduced value without an extension is still a situation I’d much rather be in vs the term and dollars owed to him. His contract is a boat anchor. I’d sooner the cap flexibility plus whatever he’d have returned, even at a diminished value.
The cap will be in 90s soon the contract will be fine.

Guys like Marner and Matthews will command 15 plus.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:14 AM   #9155
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Far too premature to be calling Huberdeau’s contract a boat anchor.

It was only, What, two years ago Gaudreau was coming off two disappointing years At under point per game production. Fast forward to the end of last year and the Flames basically handed him on open cheque.

Not saying these two situations are exactly alike but it shouldn’t surprise many if Huberdeau returns to + ppg production next year

Last edited by TOfan; 01-29-2023 at 10:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TOfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #9156
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
The cap will be in 90s soon the contract will be fine.

Guys like Marner and Matthews will command 15 plus.
His contract won't look nearly as bad once Draisaitl, Marner, Matthews, McDavid get their next deals. I think he's going to be better under a new head coach so I'm not as worried about this contract as some others.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:29 AM   #9157
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
His contract won't look nearly as bad once Draisaitl, Marner, Matthews, McDavid get their next deals. I think he's going to be better under a new head coach so I'm not as worried about this contract as some others.
So the coach with one of the best offensive lines in the league last season, is going to get replaced for not doing as well with a disparate group with no matching chemistry, this season? Then a new coach will come in and somehow do magically better with the same cast of characters?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:31 AM   #9158
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Let’s say Pelletier continues to impress which also gets going Huderdeau and the Habs win the Connor Bedard lottery, do you think a trade would be possible?

2 Quebecois under Marty St-Louis in Montreal and finally a # 1 center for the Flames!

Of course Habs would have sold at trading deadline so they would have cap to fit Huby’a contract.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 10:32 AM   #9159
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think he will be better as soon as he has a legitimate top 6 wing on the other side. That could be in 5 weeks or less.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:34 AM   #9160
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
Let’s say Pelletier continues to impress which also gets going Huderdeau and the Habs win the Connor Bedard lottery, do you think a trade would be possible?

2 Quebecois under Marty St-Louis in Montreal and finally a # 1 center for the Flames!

Of course Habs would have sold at trading deadline so they would have cap to fit Huby’a contract.
What are you proposing here? Huberdeau+Pelletier for the 1st overall pick? (No chance)
Or are you suggesting we make the deal for the Habs 1st at the deadline and hope it wins the lottery?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote