Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2018, 11:43 AM   #61
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I talked to a GI doctor about IF and he said that it's an old fad diet that has gotten popular again, but the medical consensus is that there is a proven link between IF and high level athletic performance, but everything else still needs research and is up in the air. He did say in certain cases IF can be harmful depending pre-existing conditions and other medical mumbo jumbo I don't really remember, but it's safe for most people.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #62
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the biggest benefits of IF that a lot of people don't acknowledge and is that it's a lot easier to control your calorie intake when you're only eating from say noon until 8 everyday compared to the person who wakes up and starts grazing at 6am until they go to bed.
Dan02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #63
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
One of the biggest benefits of IF that a lot of people don't acknowledge and is that it's a lot easier to control your calorie intake when you're only eating from say noon until 8 everyday compared to the person who wakes up and starts grazing at 6am until they go to bed.
Yeah, that's definitely a lot of why it's been really great for me. The occasional snacking through the day and even late at night was probably a huge chunk of my caloric intake, and a lot of that wasn't particularly healthy calories. Now I know I'm maintaining a caloric deficit without a lot of effort or tracking.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:16 AM   #64
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did a free orange theory class tonight. I enjoyed it. But the price was quite high if you wanted to sign up for a membership. I liked the treadmill part best but can’t justify paying that much for someone to tell me what speed and incline to run on a treadmill.

Tried a Crossfit session a couple months ago too. Loved that as well. My abs were sore the next day from a lot of the core work. Liked both Crossfit and Orange theory fitness about equally

But I think I’ll stick to paying $100/year for Beachbody on demand and doing the workouts during my lunch break at work. Makes the most financial sense and most efficient use of my time. Been doing these workouts (P90X, Insanity Max :30, Core de force, P90X3, etc) for the past two years and can say I’m in the best shape of my life at 39 years old.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #65
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Did a free orange theory class tonight. I enjoyed it. But the price was quite high if you wanted to sign up for a membership. I liked the treadmill part best but can’t justify paying that much for someone to tell me what speed and incline to run on a treadmill.

Tried a Crossfit session a couple months ago too. Loved that as well. My abs were sore the next day from a lot of the core work. Liked both Crossfit and Orange theory fitness about equally

But I think I’ll stick to paying $100/year for Beachbody on demand and doing the workouts during my lunch break at work. Makes the most financial sense and most efficient use of my time. Been doing these workouts (P90X, Insanity Max :30, Core de force, P90X3, etc) for the past two years and can say I’m in the best shape of my life at 39 years old.
I've been doing Orange Theory for a few months now and I've really seen a difference. I tried P90X but it was too easy for me to just skip it. I find having others around doing the same exercise is very motivating.

A colleague of mine was doing Orange Theory and then tried Crossfit. She said that Crossfit was much more intense and effective. There's been a noticeable difference in the speed of her weighloss since she switched. But you do have to put up with the whole Crossfit Cult thing. As you said, both are expensive but I find you generally get what you pay for with these things.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:09 AM   #66
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My trainer at work was let go a couple of weeks ago and now I’m struggling to find a strength and conditioning workout plan. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 08-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #67
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone here heard anything about (or tried) F45 Training? It appears to be high-intensity circuit training. They have a downtown location and one in Marda Loop is scheduled to open next month.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #68
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I started doing Freeletics about a month ago and I love it. I mixed in the bodyweight programs with a more casual free weight program and I have to say, my legs, hips and core feel great. I stopped focusing on getting upper body mass in my early 30's and instead focusing on my midsection and hips so that I can run, golf, and snowboard alot easier. $120/year for the app, and the "Coach" (AI program in the app) asks for constant feedback so that the next week it adjusts based on your performance. It's a really good system.

I don't like the cult-style advertisements on social media for it (much like Crossfit crap), so I just tune them out. It's my only knock on the program.

I also combined it with Whole30 dieting, which has been a pleasant surprise in taming the belly area.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #69
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have experience with reversing weight gain caused by antidepressants? Recently started some new meds and have ballooned up by about 10-15 lbs and gained two inches in my waistline over the past two months. I've generally been a keto or low-carb guy when trying to cut weight in the past but I've read that that's the exact opposite approach you should be taking when on antidepressants.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:36 PM   #70
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Anyone have experience with reversing weight gain caused by antidepressants? Recently started some new meds and have ballooned up by about 10-15 lbs and gained two inches in my waistline over the past two months. I've generally been a keto or low-carb guy when trying to cut weight in the past but I've read that that's the exact opposite approach you should be taking when on antidepressants.

I think there's something called the Serotonin Power Diet that's supposed to be good. I've also heard that carbs help with serotonin management and thus psychological well being. And consequently you actually eat less even though carbs are included. If you're doing the Keto diet you need to be really strict with it because even small deviations will knock your body out of that fat burning state. So likely a partial Keto diet would be the worst of both worlds for you. Check out that Serotonin Diet. Exercise too if you've got the time will help with both issues. Just short high intensity interval routines are better and you're done in 20 minutes.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #71
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I think there's something called the Serotonin Power Diet that's supposed to be good. I've also heard that carbs help with serotonin management and thus psychological well being. And consequently you actually eat less even though carbs are included. If you're doing the Keto diet you need to be really strict with it because even small deviations will knock your body out of that fat burning state. So likely a partial Keto diet would be the worst of both worlds for you. Check out that Serotonin Diet. Exercise too if you've got the time will help with both issues. Just short high intensity interval routines are better and you're done in 20 minutes.
Yeah, I was combining low-carb with intermittent fasting, which looks like just about the worst combination for what I'm dealing with, but I was just reading about that diet. Kindle version of the book is only $12 so I'll probably pick it up.

I have been exercising which has been the frustrating part. Unfortunately my gym is such a ####show that I can't really do interval training, supersets, etc., unless I go super early in the morning and I'm just not a morning person. That said, I'm happy with the routine I'm doing at the moment, so I'm going to stick with it and see where it takes me over the next 8-12 weeks.

Last edited by rubecube; 08-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:28 PM   #72
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Going to Mexico in mid February for a few weeks. Using the trip as fitness inspiration.

I've been regularly active my whole life (bike to work most days outside of winter and go to the gym 3 days a week) but as I'm about to turn 40, being active isn't enough for me to completely lose my gut anymore like when I was younger.

As a result, for the last month, I've been working out 5-6 days a week and eating super clean for a while now. No more coke-zero, no more eating crap all the time (1 cheat day a week). It's been a challenge, but I've been sticking with it.

I fell into the trap for a long time of - coke zero isn't bad for you, baked chips are fine, sandwiches with whole-wheat bread only etc etc, these kind of half measures which will never cut it with my below-average metabolism, if I want to completely lose my gut. It's stubborn. So now it's healthy breakfast, healthy lunch, water with every meal at lunch and supper etc

I've also been rehabbing my knee which has been hurting for years. I haven't been able to run for 3 years as a result. I've been going to physio every week and working hard on the rehab plan. I'm back to running on the treadmill (not running at 100%,) but far ahead of where I thought I'd be when I started the rehab in November.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 01-21-2023 at 12:33 PM.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 12:46 PM   #73
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good work to try and make a positive change.

One thought; while you're still doing rehab on your knee, have you thought of trying something lower impact for your cardio like a spin bike instead of going straight into treadmill running? Or is the physio recommending you introduce running / treadmill into your routine again?

I used my Mexico trip in November as motivation to cut down and it worked decently. Since returning, I've been focused on a bulk, and I'll be transitioning to a recomp next week; drop carbs, keep protein high but calories just below maintenance.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 12:58 PM   #74
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Been doing Orange Theory for about 3 years now. It has been life changing. The things I can do now at 50 far exceed what I could do at 45. Ti be fair, in response to a couple of earlier posts, OT can be as intense as you make it, it can be as intense as anything out there. You have to put in that effort though.

My biggest problem has always been my diet, trying to work on that much more now. You can exercise like crazy but weight management is something like 90% intake.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:10 PM   #75
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Good work to try and make a positive change.

One thought; while you're still doing rehab on your knee, have you thought of trying something lower impact for your cardio like a spin bike instead of going straight into treadmill running? Or is the physio recommending you introduce running / treadmill into your routine again?

I used my Mexico trip in November as motivation to cut down and it worked decently. Since returning, I've been focused on a bulk, and I'll be transitioning to a recomp next week; drop carbs, keep protein high but calories just below maintenance.
Thanks. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Physio recommended the running program. It's a gradual increase.

I've swam, biked and used the elliptical a lot in the last few years given I couldn't run. I'm looking forward to running again, especially on nice summer days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #76
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
Thanks. Sounds like you're well on your way.

Physio recommended the running program. It's a gradual increase.

I've swam, biked and used the elliptical a lot in the last few years given I couldn't run. I'm looking forward to running again, especially on nice summer days.
I've been doing it since 2015, at first it was just staying in "runner's build" shape but since then I've been enjoying getting into more athletic shape. I'm on the fence about possibly going through a 'contest prep' style routine (sans the dehydration). We'll see how the next few months go.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:06 PM   #77
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looking to buy a treadmill, any tips or advice? Thanks.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 01:19 PM   #78
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Try a few out before buying. Also figure out what you want it to do. With smart watches etc we didn't need the fancy head unit. We bought a plainer janer one and put a 24" Roku tv on a shelf in front of it so we could watch walking videos while using it. Also take into account how loud it is.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2023, 12:32 PM   #79
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I always buy exercise equipment used (kijiji, marketplace, etc). Lots of virtually-new equipment out there just gathering dust, and people are happy to free up the space at a fraction of the cost. Works best if you're not in a rush to buy as you can get real quality equipment for very cheap.

It's been a few years, but I relied on reviews from treadmill doctor. They repair exercise equipment, so have good insight on which brands/models cheap out on parts.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2023, 04:25 PM   #80
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I started eating healthy in mid-December, as well as refraining from eating after 7pm in addition to working out an extra 1-2 days more per week than my usual 3 days a week.

I've lost between 10-15 lbs. I'm not really in it for weight loss, I'm pretty muscular, so I'm just trying to flatten my stomach and I'm noticing progress.

It's all about diet. I can work out 7 days a week, but if I don't eat healthier, it won't result in noticeable improvement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post: