Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-06-2023, 05:25 PM   #4181
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

And even better they are charging to park at Lake Louise now. Next up Johnston Canyon and Lake Minniwanka

The challenge with the Moraine lake will be when they start shuttles running as you want to be off mount Temple by about 2pm at the latest and ideally before Lunch

Last edited by GGG; 01-06-2023 at 05:28 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:30 PM   #4182
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

To be honest, it was never the cars that scared me on Moraine. Those huge tour buses take a long time to pass you.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 09:18 PM   #4183
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if a fella was looking to ride his bike in lake Louise- where would he want to park in this new world?

In the past I parked by the train station, but I am thinking finding a spot there might be like finding a unicorn
Old 01-06-2023, 10:09 PM   #4184
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
So if a fella was looking to ride his bike in lake Louise- where would he want to park in this new world?

In the past I parked by the train station, but I am thinking finding a spot there might be like finding a unicorn
Ski Hill and bike over would be your longest option but would always have parking.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 10:39 AM   #4185
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Ski Hill and bike over would be your longest option but would always have parking.
That’s where Parks Canada shuttle runs from now is it not? Parking may still be available but may not be as abundant as in the past.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:11 PM   #4186
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Don't get me wrong I love this weather but I am dreading Monday commute after the melt today and tomorrow creating a bunch of new ice, just memorized where all the ice is recently.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:27 AM   #4187
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

eBikes are passé. I'm getting a steam bike.

Link
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #4188
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can you roll coal as you pass E bikers that are laughing as they pass spandex wearing roadies?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2023, 12:02 PM   #4189
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry all, wood bike or gtfo:

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #4190
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winter cycling comparison from Tom Babin here in Calgary and Pekka Tahkola in Oulu, Finland. Oulu is regarded as probably the best winter biking city in the world. Watch as Pekka scores each 10.5km ride to a hardware store in the +1, -2 style.

Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2023, 09:04 PM   #4191
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey folks hoping someone can help me.

I am sure I saw a post on social media about a mtn bike race in crowsnest. I recall reading the race had 30 and 60k options among others and the 60k option was two laps of the 30k which was made up of green and blue trails. I feel the race was in the crowsnest

I tried some googling and all I could find was the crowsnest100 which does not sound what I read about.

Anyone have any knowledge of such a race?
Old 01-23-2023, 09:51 PM   #4192
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hey folks hoping someone can help me.

I am sure I saw a post on social media about a mtn bike race in crowsnest. I recall reading the race had 30 and 60k options among others and the 60k option was two laps of the 30k which was made up of green and blue trails. I feel the race was in the crowsnest

I tried some googling and all I could find was the crowsnest100 which does not sound what I read about.

Anyone have any knowledge of such a race?
https://www.crowsnestpass100.com/

I saw the same link and think it is the crowsnest 100. The link I shared shows 30 and 50 km races as well.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwkayaker For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #4193
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ thanks wwkayaker - i looked at a brief description of the race on my phone last night and discounted it as being the one i read about; however, with the luxury of my regular PC and some time I dug a little deeper into the website and it would seem to be the race i read about.

i am sort of considering the 30k ride; however, that is traditionally when i take vacation and the wife was really hankering for a trip to vancouver island this year

as an aside, only one more week until registration for ride the range opens
Old 01-24-2023, 02:19 PM   #4194
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
^ thanks wwkayaker - i looked at a brief description of the race on my phone last night and discounted it as being the one i read about; however, with the luxury of my regular PC and some time I dug a little deeper into the website and it would seem to be the race i read about.

i am sort of considering the 30k ride; however, that is traditionally when i take vacation and the wife was really hankering for a trip to vancouver island this year

as an aside, only one more week until registration for ride the range opens
So... 11 days till it's sold out
Old 01-25-2023, 08:57 PM   #4195
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got to see a brand new bike-parking room at a downtown office building. Folks there all proud of themselves. Very nice (and pricey) gesture of goodwill. Fairly obvious to me they were sold something and didn't do their own consultation with "real" riders or all-season riders.

Issues:
- normal size entry/exit door to the room
- nice slick shiny floor... zero drainage
- entry/exit route goes through 4 normal size doors, and partially through a lobby. Makes for fun if you've got a mountain bike and panniers.

- No plans for a mat through above entry/exit route... should be fun with all that muddy water on marble-like flooring.
- hard steel upside-down-"U"-shape frames to lock ones bike to, all placed about 18" apart. That'll be fun playing bike-jenga getting bikes in/out, not to mention scratched. Bikes stay on their two wheels, instead of hanging by a wheel.

- no bike lock bar; no garbages
- single small change room, no drain, no hooks, no garbage bin.

It was an effort at least. whaddaya do?
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 01:50 PM   #4196
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
The worst you can do is ask for changes and nothing happens. I say this because at one point in my career the company I worked for moved to a brand new building. The bike storage was terrible and they got lots of comments. They didn't fix everything but to their credit they actually put some effort into addressing the issues.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 03:18 PM   #4197
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Got to see a brand new bike-parking room at a downtown office building. Folks there all proud of themselves. Very nice (and pricey) gesture of goodwill. Fairly obvious to me they were sold something and didn't do their own consultation with "real" riders or all-season riders.

Give feedback if you can, but probably not worth losing your job over ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 07:59 PM   #4198
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Give feedback if you can, but probably not worth losing your job over ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I provided pretty much this list (and a bit more) to the property manager in a better-phrased email and offered to have a conversation regarding these items. I’ve done this now at several buildings over the last 10+ years. Sometimes the ideas are adopted immediately as they are value and other times they fight the requests for years (and wonder why people leave their daily-use locks on the racks instead of taking to/from home each day).
Just another “great” example where the primary stakeholders aren’t invited to the table and instead some “design company” sells a bad idea for too much and has no consequences.
Old 01-31-2023, 01:45 PM   #4199
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

The last year or so the quality of cycling related magazines and online presence has really faded. Most recently so the CyclingTips. Excellent timing then finding this extensive article that reviews what’s happened in the cycling-reporting niche. Yeah it’s long, very long, but overall pretty solid. Enjoy…
https://pezcyclingnews.com/features/...opportunities/
Old 01-31-2023, 01:57 PM   #4200
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Issues:
- normal size entry/exit door to the room
- nice slick shiny floor... zero drainage
- entry/exit route goes through 4 normal size doors, and partially through a lobby. Makes for fun if you've got a mountain bike and panniers.

- No plans for a mat through above entry/exit route... should be fun with all that muddy water on marble-like flooring.
- hard steel upside-down-"U"-shape frames to lock ones bike to, all placed about 18" apart. That'll be fun playing bike-jenga getting bikes in/out, not to mention scratched. Bikes stay on their two wheels, instead of hanging by a wheel.

- no bike lock bar; no garbages
- single small change room, no drain, no hooks, no garbage bin.

Is this the new Calgary Place bike parking?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote