Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #21
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think the latter jibes with my eye test. It's like they don't give him a chance to field some easy saves.

To me the whole question of "does the team play better in front of X" is kind of an indictment of the team more than the goalies, since, to my eye they are not playing that much differently.
Its the strangest thing ever.

When we had Kipper they couldn't play in front of the backup goalie and he ended up playing 70-72 games.

Now we can't seem to get it together in front of the starter but are fine with the backup.

Hockey is a strange sport sometimes.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:40 PM   #22
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Another angle is that the Flames offence struggles to adapt when other teams lock down and play with a lead. Not making excuses for Markstrom, but if our offence can't recover as easily as last season that is not all on Markstrom.
I think sometimes we forget how crazy good Markstrom and team defense was last season as well. How many shut outs did he have last year at this time compared to this year? Vladar had a few as well if I recall.

There really isn't a single area that the team hasn't taken steps back.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 01-26-2023 at 02:43 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 02:42 PM   #23
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I think sometimes we forget how crazy good Markstrom and team defense was last season as well. How many shut outs did he have last year at this time compared to this year? Vladar had a few as well if I recall.

There really isn't a single area that the teams hasn't taken steps back.
They had 11 combined but I think they all came in the first half of the season.

Edit we had 10 shutouts by February 9th. 7 shutouts in the first 3 months of the season.

Last edited by Paulie Walnuts; 01-26-2023 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Found the stat
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 03:04 PM   #24
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post

There really isn't a single area that the team hasn't taken steps back.
Agreed. If the guys recovered faster, more often maybe there wouldn't be a confidence issue. In that respect maybe Markstrom is better than some are giving him credit for. Lots of underlying factors for sure.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 06:53 PM   #25
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Interestingly, I started looking at this last night and noticed that we were not following this trend at all early in the season. In our first 10 or more games the team that scored first only won like 2-3 times. As the season progressed it definitely shifted back in favor of what you'd expect (there was something like 15 games in a row where the team that scored first won).

It's a good question -- I took a stats class in university about 100 years ago so I don't really recall; I thought Vladar's sample size of 16 starts wasn't unreasonable though. We'll see how things progress as the season continues on.

As for a year-to-year analysis, I suspect DGA is influenced by different factors, not just the goalie. For example, I recall last year's team frequently had good starts, and even if they got behind it early wasn't a big deal as our top line could often bail them out later in the game. That is definitely not the case this year. At least with this analysis you can start testing the theory of whether (or why) they seem to play better -- and score more -- when Vladar is in net versus Markstrom.
I was thinking about this a little more of what this stat means and essentially if a team plays tied or down 1 goal that goalie will have a higher DGA holding everything else equal.

Since Markstoms numbers overall are marginally better whereas the DGA is worse it means he lets in less goals when the team has a lead or is getting blown out. Since you have to have 2 DGAs to get blown out getting blown out more will not help you reduce DGAs

This means that when the flames have a lead Markstrom is less likely to give it up then Vlader. What’s also interesting is that after the first period their deficit goals against is equal roughly .20 per game.

So for whatever reason I think this stat just suggests that with Vlader in net the flames are more likely to score first but also more likely to blow the lead.

Not sure on the last part for sure but I think that’s what it implies.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote