Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2024, 04:28 PM   #19041
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's kinda funny watching the typical Conservative voters trying to come up with reasons why Nenshi is bad, and the best they can muster is "arrogance" which is typically a feature of politicians in general, but an absolute requirement to be taken seriously as a leader of any new Conservative movement or government. Lol. Arrogance. Good stuff.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:36 PM   #19042
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

I personally don't think there is any type of consensus that could be gained between a Nenshi led NDP and a Parker led UCP.
How about all the voters who aren’t loyalists of either - the people you need to get onside in order to win elections?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:43 PM   #19043
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It's kinda funny watching the typical Conservative voters trying to come up with reasons why Nenshi is bad, and the best they can muster is "arrogance" which is typically a feature of politicians in general, but an absolute requirement to be taken seriously as a leader of any new Conservative movement or government. Lol. Arrogance. Good stuff.
It’s hilarious you think I’m a Conservative supporter.

You wouldn’t know it from threads like this, but most people aren’t fiercely partisan. I’ll likely vote for the NDP. Doesn’t mean I feel the need to ignore Nenshi’s less appealing traits and political vulnerabilities.

Anyone who thinks people like Slava and I are conservatives needs to get out of whatever social media bubble they live in and recognize that moderates actually exist.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:45 PM   #19044
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
But PP is praised for this schtick nowadays.

Somehow, if Nenshi does it, he is insufferable to all.
Have you heard me praise PP?
Old 04-23-2024, 04:46 PM   #19045
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

My post mentioned politicians and their arrogance, but also mentioned anybody who think's they are the smartest in the room. Nenshi, Trudeau, Doctors, whomever. There was a press conference back in 2021 in essence guaranteeing safety of Israel's Iron Wall. Clearly that didn't age well for the world.

When you think your #1, it bites you in the ass. Doctors usually make the worst investors in equity/fixed income markets because they are usually the smartest people in the room and make huge mistakes. Ask any pharmacist how many mistakes that can have serious consequences they catch regularly, a shocking amount.

Back the post, if you think you can walk on water, you usually can't. Not an anti Nenshi post but when your asking people to vote for you for your job, sometimes being humble helps.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 04:48 PM   #19046
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

You wouldn’t know it from threads like this, but most people aren’t fiercely partisan. I’ll likely vote for the NDP. Doesn’t mean I feel the need to ignore Nenshi’s less appealing traits and political vulnerabilities.

Anyone who thinks people like Slava and I are conservatives needs to get out of whatever social media bubble they live in and recognize that moderates actually exist.
I'm just trying to work out why intelligent arrogance is a problem for Nenshi while idiotic arrogance from Smith isn't. Being arrogant and wrong didn't stop her from getting elected, nor did it seem to turn off nearly enough moderate Calgary voters. Just seems to be grasping at flaws here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 04:54 PM   #19047
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

It’s nice when the way we’re perceived is always everyone else’s problem.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 05:03 PM   #19048
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

That's it, I've been convinced, I'm voting UCP for the next 50 years.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 09:29 PM   #19049
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

The different standards Albertans hold progressives to compared to their troglodyte counterparts is absurd.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 09:34 PM   #19050
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's kind of funny that you consider yourself a moderate.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:42 PM   #19051
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
I think it's kind of funny that you consider yourself a moderate.
I voted NDP the last two provincial elections, and Liberal the last two federal elections.

What opinions do I have that are not moderate?

Seriously, you people need to get out and meet more normal people offline. If you think I’m conservative, you have a comically warped political context.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2024 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:53 PM   #19052
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I voted NDP the last two provincial elections, and Liberal the last two federal elections.

What opinions do I have that are not moderate?

Seriously, you people need to get out and meet more normal people offline. If you think I’ve conservative, you have a comically warped political context.
You do continually appeal to traditional views as a tool for interpreting the modern world and appeal to the past as being better. I would say you are almost a textbook small ‘c’ conservative. The then current “Conservative” is grifto-libertarian doesn’t really change that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:54 PM   #19053
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
The different standards Albertans hold progressives to compared to their troglodyte counterparts is absurd.
It has nothing to do with standards. The person I quoted saying Nenshi is arrogant is his former campaign strategist. He and Nenshi’s campaign team identified it as a political weakness back when he was mayor.

The NDP lost the last election quite handily. If a Nenshi-led NDP is going to win the next one - which is presumably something you want to happen - they’ll have to convince tens of thousands of people who voted UCP in the last election to change their support. Denouncing them as troglodytes is unlikely to be an effective strategy.

This is what I mean by the online world being so different from electoral politics. Getting people who already agree with you all riled scores you lots of internet points. But it doesn’t change voter’s minds or win elections.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-23-2024 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2024, 10:55 PM   #19054
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You do continually appeal to traditional views as a tool for interpreting the modern world and appeal to the past as being better. I would say you are almost a textbook small ‘c’ conservative. The then current “Conservative” is grifto-libertarian doesn’t really change that.
Like what? Give me some examples.

I’m not a progressive on most issues, no. But that doesn’t mean I’m conservative. Moderate liberal is a pretty common political stance, just one that’s under-represented in online discourse.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:10 PM   #19055
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What was that about arrogance?
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2024, 11:27 PM   #19056
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
What was that about arrogance?
I’m not running for election.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:51 PM   #19057
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The real question is why the terminally online, intellectually challenged people who need to go outside have a warped opinion about me, a self-identified under-represented minority (moderate liberal) and my opinions on arrogance. It’s a mystery.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:56 PM   #19058
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not running for election.
Good thing.

And your blabbing on about how his arrogance is a problem or whatever, kind of loses punch when you make any kind of an effort to look at the various engagements, panels, praise he receives. I mean the guy he went head to head with, had many spats with, and disagrees with on many subjects, also says that Nenshi always had time for him, was a team player, etc.

But again, you sure do love your soap box. You've done similar finger wagging about Danielle Smith and her arrogance, belligerence, and such... right? Happy to be proven wrong if you have.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote