Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #521
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
But if the GM's vision was to be challenging for the division, or at least secure a top 3 seed, then his man is failing hard. Why hang onto him?

Even if they secure a WC spot, that should be considered disappointing.
Because there are no certainty's in hockey. Does anyone think the Golden Knights vision this season was to be the top team in the West? Or how about the Jets, everyone was calling for Maurice's head after last year and instead they stuck with him and look where they are. I am tired of the head coach merry go round, we have a young coach who needs to improve on his bench usage and lines but he has a strong understanding of the game and is only going to improve imo. I am not a fan of his assistants though and I think they have a lot to do with this teams struggles.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 04:49 PM   #522
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just want to see management show some balls and stop putting up with bubble seasons. That was okay the past couple years and in line with expectations but it's time to take a step. They should be firmly into the walking phase but they've still got wobbly knees and it could be argued the team outside of goaltending was better last season. I don't think any one will fault or criticize a moderate risk move from treliving at this point. It would be considered worth making even if it doesn't pan out brilliantly because of how the team has seemingly plateaued.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 04:56 PM   #523
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Man, I really hope the Flames go on a tear and make some of the posters here eat crow.

I'm as frustrated as the next fan who thinks his team should be performing better, but the narrative around here is so negative that it bottles the mind.

If you want to talk about the historical record, look at how many fan bases don't have even one Stanley cup to celebrate. Not that any Flames fans I know are waving 1989 in anyone's face like our northern friends are prone to do, but still.

It could be much worse, and the season isn't even half over. Let the boys play it out.
That's fine if the goal is to be a middle of the road bubble team forever, but at some point they need to take it to the next level. I really thought this might be the year of a step change. Instead it is more of the same, which gets frustrating. Can you really blame fans for that?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 05:25 PM   #524
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's fine if the goal is to be a middle of the road bubble team forever, but at some point they need to take it to the next level. I really thought this might be the year of a step change. Instead it is more of the same, which gets frustrating. Can you really blame fans for that?
I can blame fans who are calling the season at game 39.
I know anyone can trot out any number of stats or historical factors that show that there is no chance, but they actually have to play the games.

I'd prefer to see if this group can put it all together before writing them off as some are so eager to do. As Bingo and Darren Hayes have pointed out, The Flames are playing very solid defensive hockey right now.

I still see this team as the best chance for a successful season in a while, and I will continue to cheer and enjoy some hockey.
blender is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #526
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasn’t thinking coach change. More trade. I could see something like Letang to finally get someone to QB a power play without giving too much up given injury risk and salary burden.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #527
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I wasn’t thinking coach change. More trade. I could see something like Letang to finally get someone to QB a power play without giving too much up given injury risk and salary burden.
Good God please no! Letang makes Brodie look like Robyn Regehr defensively.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:55 PM   #528
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, IMO this is now a shakeup from Treliving. Not the “big one” yet, but inching closer to it.

IMO I think he sort of expected or even gave a wink to ARI to pick up Hamilton to aid in the log jam of young guys they want to give a chance to and remove a distraction.

I subscribe to the notion the F Hamilton was here sitting eating popcorn most nights the last couple seasons more for his brothers comfort the the teams’, so this solves that issue just like that for the organization too, and hopefully the remaining Hamilton steps up...and if he doesn’t then Treliving has a nice bargaining chip for a trade to Arizona or wherever else wants two Hamiltons.

Also, Jagr. My guess here too is that if he’s told he’s not 100% healthy, not to play. I don’t think he wants to just take up a spot himself either, but if he’s trying to play through something, Treliving may well have told him to get 100% before he gets on the ice. The “update tomorrow” does sound a bit ominous as well, as if the Flames have talked to Jagr about this/his role or he’s getting some tests to see how injured he is, or both, and are expecting a decision from him, or the results from the test back, today.

So I think Treliving is addressing some of those lingering issues where the team was being is bit more “nice” than they really should have been in these cases, and probably too in other situations behind closed doors that we don’t know about.(Lazar you’d think too, likely here on the reference from Cameron, who hasn’t turned out at all like a 12th or whatever it was, overall draft pick)

By putting his foot down, it gives less excuse for the rest of the players in the room that these situations may (or may not) have been festering, and give less excuse for the coaches too for (if this is an issue) being forced to treat some players differently then others day to day. And it sets up a clearer path and way of doing business for his potential next round of changes.

Last edited by browna; 01-04-2018 at 03:07 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #529
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I only caught part of the interview but Shannon was on Sportsnet Hockey Central half an hour ago and his comments seemed to indicate that these AHL moves are the shakeup he was referring to but I did miss the start of the discussion.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #530
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess that they'll have to lose a few more games before they have a real shakeup.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #531
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hmm so backfilling an injured Frolik from the farm rather f Hamilton, and bringing in hrivik who is likely going to rotate with lazar/Stajan is the 'shakeup'....

Can't be upset, it wasn't necessarily the flames who used that terminology.

Let's see, maybe this infusion of heat players adds some excitement and energy to the group.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:14 PM   #532
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I only caught part of the interview but Shannon was on Sportsnet Hockey Central half an hour ago and his comments seemed to indicate that these AHL moves are the shakeup he was referring to but I did miss the start of the discussion.

My guess is if the Flames lose these next two divisional games, I think we'll see more significant changes happening than simply calling up a couple of players from the farm.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:16 PM   #533
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Pittsburgh was 18-15-4 on January 1st 2016 - won Stanley Cup
Nashville was 16-14-6 on January 1st 2017 - lost in Finals

I agree the record is frustrating as it appears to be the same old Flames as usual. I think the difference is finally we are seeing prospects being promoted and the team is filling out nicely. This team is much deeper and younger then the last couple years. Results haven't been any better so far but potential for better results are there.

The Flames have lost 3-4 games this year when they had a chance to get to 5 games over .500. They also haven't slipped below a game over .500 in the last 20 games. Basically playing .500 hockey since the pretty good start to the season. But when the Flames were winning you had basically Gaudreau, Monahan, Giordano and Smith carrying the team and everyone else sucked. The last 20 games the rest of the team has stepped up dramatically but quietly Gaudreau, Monahan and Smith haven't been anywhere near what they were the first 15 or so. If the top line can heat up again I can see this team getting hot

Last edited by Macho0978; 01-04-2018 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 07:31 PM   #534
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
If that is his definition of a shakeup he loses any credibility as an NHL insider. That’s a shuffling of the deck not a shakeup.

Treliving has been trying to tinker with the defence as per the real insiders on TSN. I will take what comes out of TSN over sportsnet 9 times out of 10.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #535
Tailgator
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Should’ve shaken harder.....
Tailgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:19 PM   #536
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
Pittsburgh was 18-15-4 on January 1st 2016 - won Stanley Cup
Their season turned around after changing coaches, probably not the best example.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 10:10 PM   #537
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgator View Post
Should’ve shaken harder.....
Or not.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:16 AM   #538
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post

I'm as frustrated as the next fan who thinks his team should be performing better, but the narrative around here is so negative that it bottles the mind.

Ahem, I believe the saying is "blenders the mind"
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 09:26 AM   #539
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Stajan and Dave Cameron get put to sleep then I would be happy with this mini shake-up.

No justifying those two still being here though. I get upset with Glen every once in a while but that's mostly due to his insanely slow response time. There's clearly a problem and he does nothing to fix it for like 6 weeks but at the end of the day he eventually gets there. Very frustrating to watch the process though.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJones For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2018, 11:10 AM   #540
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the big shakeup was just giving roster spots to younger and hungrier players, then I love it. Sometimes, you don't need to make a big splash with a trade when you already have impactful players down on the farm.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post: