Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Francis with Kerr: Who is going?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big...ames-mattered/

This seemed like a pretty ominous discussion to me but I haven't seen it anywhere on the site. If I'm wrong I'll just delete this topic and move on.

Francis saying some "players" didn't care if they won or lost, it was all about their stats ... he seemed to imply more than just goals and assists ... possession?

Thoughts?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:35 AM   #2
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Bingo, should that say "didn't care"?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #3
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Hey Bingo, should that say "didn't care"?
Fixed!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #4
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I posted in the game take thread;

I think management probably doesn't have a specific list, but rather, just looks at the roster and sees too many passive and one dimensional players. I think selling high on Ferland would be prudent. But within the group that includes the likes of Johnny, Monahan, Hamilton, Brodie and Sam- I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of those dealt. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunner involving Hamiltion or Johnny.

I know people don't like the notion of trading Johnny. And he is HIGHLY entertaining. But I see him as an opportunity to really address the overall asset void in the organization if you can get someone to really pay up to get him. And I'm not convinced he's a guy you win with.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Francis with Kerr: Who is going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

I think management probably doesn't have a specific list, but rather, just looks at the roster and sees too many passive and one dimensional players. I think selling high on Ferland would be prudent. But within the group that includes the likes of Johnny, Monahan, Hamilton, Brodie and Sam- I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two of those dealt. And I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stunner involving Hamiltion or Johnny.

I know people don't like the notion of trading Johnny. And he is HIGHLY entertaining. But I see him as an opportunity to really address the overall asset void in the organization if you can get someone to really pay up to get him. And I'm not convinced he's a guy you win with.

Definitely don’t want to see Johnny traded, but it would be a whopper of a return. I think the Sabres, tired of rebuilding, could put together an absolute beast of a deal to land someone like Johnny.

Not to exaggerate but something Tree needs to be very careful about is managing the culture of the team. He can’t allow what set in up in Edmonton to set in here. You can’t fall in love with your own players, and you can’t make trades out of emotion.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #6
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
https://www.sportsnet.ca/960/the-big...ames-mattered/

This seemed like a pretty ominous discussion to me but I haven't seen it anywhere on the site. If I'm wrong I'll just delete this topic and move on.

Francis saying some "players" did care if they won or lost, it was all about their stats ... he seemed to imply more than just goals and assists ... possession?

Thoughts?
Everyone reacts to failure differently, as well as the person attempting interpretig said players, so it's a pretty vauge statement and generalization.

But I'll take a shot at it; I think he's getting at some players, besides goals and assists, wanted to make sure their status on the team, as a 1st line player (rw) or 2nd line player, or 1st pp unit player etc was very significant to some, even as the ship started to sink. Players trying to protect thier place in the hierarchy, for next year, for stats, for the next contract (so again, stats) or simply for ego and entitlement as to where they think they fit.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like the Phillie offer from the other thread.

Maybe with some tweaks.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If this is the same radio bit I heard yesterday Francis seems to suggest he knew who the poor locker room guys were or the guys with no heart.

Said we’d all know when that player or players were traded but said he was considering outing the player(s) in a column.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #9
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If they trade Gaudreau, it better be an AAA asset coming back. Trading pure talent for depth never works. If they trade him for a pile of "depth" assets/players I will be done with this team as it would be the 3rd time in my life where they will submarine the team with garbage for talent (Gilmour, Phaneuf trades being the other 2)
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well if what has been implied is true, then BT certainly will have a very busy, difficult and interesting off season.
I’m wondering if maybe some of our younger core may just be emotionally immature and that is why they place individual achievements over the fuller reward of team unity and success.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM   #11
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I understand that it's nice to salivate over the return trading one of the league's best wingers could get (despite the fact it's extremely unlikely anyone puts forth the kind over-payment that would make it worth it), but that last statement is beyond perplexing.

You don't think you can win with one of the league's best playmakers who visibly makes everyone around him better and accounts for a staggering part of this team's offense? Dizzying.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 82 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
activeStick, Ashasx, badger89, badradio, bdubbs, burn_this_city, Calgary4LIfe, calgarybornnraised, codynw, corporatejay, D as in David, DeluxeMoustache, Diemenz, Dion, dirk diggler, Domoic, drewtastic, DynamRyan, Eric Vail, Erick Estrada, Fan in Exile, FFR, Flamesfan2010, flamesfever, flamesrule_kipper34, flames_fan_down_under, ForeverFlameFan, Frank MetaMusil, Funkhouser, gargamel, Geordano, GoFlamesGo, GreenLantern2814, Hey Connor, It's Mess, Hot_Flatus, Huntingwhale, IamNotKenKing, Iceman57, iggypop, Inferno099, Inglewood Jack, Jay Random, jg13, Joborule, kkaleR, lambeburger, Mike F, mile, MoBiBu, N-E-B, OBCT, PaperBagger'14, Passe La Puck, pepper24, Phaneufenstein, Press Level, Radio, redforever, Rejean31, renny, Rhettzky, roberts10, robertsfanatic, Ryan Coke, Sask_Flames_Fan, SeanCharles, Sec218, slybomb, Split98, Steve Bozek, stone hands, taxbuster, tripin_billie, Tron_fdc, trublmaker, vennegoor of hesselink, VilleN, Vinny01, Wastedyouth, Wiggum_PI, Winsor_Pilates, zamler
Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #12
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems lime some pretty dark days.

I cant remember ever hearing this kind of talk before. I hope to god this is guys like Brower, but it prob is far worse.

Ugh
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thing wont work for me.

All I know is, things are going to be very interesting this off season.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #14
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've said before that a guy like Gaudreau shouldn't be "the man" on your team and should be a sidekick. Honestly though, I don't really see a guy like Gaudreau as one who's content with losing. He seems pretty emotionally invested in games, he just can only do so much because of his size. He's clearly our best trading chip, especially because of his contract, but trading him would be a mistake.

This offseason scares me. Keeping the coach as long as he did really has put Treliving in a bad corner.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I've said before that a guy like Gaudreau shouldn't be "the man" on your team and should be a sidekick. Honestly though, I don't really see a guy like Gaudreau as one who's content with losing. He seems pretty emotionally invested in games, he just can only do so much because of his size. He's clearly our best trading chip, especially because of his contract, but trading him would be a mistake.

This offseason scares me. Keeping the coach as long as he did really has put Treliving in a bad corner.
I dont for 1 second beleive Johnny is ok with loosing. No way this is about him.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau isn't going anywhere.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #17
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I He's clearly our best trading chip,
Only in the way that everyone's best player is (I suppose, in theory) their best trading chip.

Quote:

This offseason scares me.
As far as the complaining and growing panicked narrative with the vocal minority goes on this forum... me too. I am not as scared about management of the actual team. There is no chance they make the panicked movies some around here are suggesting.

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 04-08-2018 at 10:54 AM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I understand that it's nice to salivate over the return trading one of the league's best wingers could get, but that last statement is beyond perplexing.

You don't think you can win with one of the league's best playmakers who visibly makes everyone around him better and accounts for a staggering part of this team's offense? Dizzying.
I see where Jiri might be coming from on the boldest issue. I think we can win with Johnny however I have difficulty seeing us winning with him leading us to winning.
I dunno I have doubts about a playoff Johnny Hockey. I would like very much if he could make me eat my words and stuff my doubts.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #19
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Only in the way that everyone's best player is (I suppose, in theory) their best trading chip.
Not only that, but because going forward, his salary is going to be comical compared to what other stars are getting paid.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #20
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand that it's nice to salivate over the return trading one of the league's best wingers could get (despite the fact it's extremely unlikely anyone puts forth the kind over-payment that would make it worth it), but that last statement is beyond perplexing.

I think he’s a great offensive player but flawed otherwise and doesn’t do all he can to maximize his talent
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: