Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 09:21 AM   #4841
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I'm sorry, but Backlund continues to be one of the most dominant possession drivers in the league and is still by far the best on the Flames. He performs every role on this team that could be asked of him, and he does it extremely effectively. He has shown no signs of slowing down.

I don't usually say something like this, but if you don't think Backlund is worth 5x5, you have no idea what you are talking about.
And if he is by far the best on the team, then that probably means we wont be a stanley cup contending team
Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #4842
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

5.5x4/5x5/4.5x6

Pick one Backlund.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:28 AM   #4843
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRiderRowdy View Post
I agree with you. But at the end of the day we still arent a stanley cup contender and i doubt we make the playoffs this year. Realistically he is a 3rd line checking center on a stanley cup winning team we cannot afford to pay him what he would get on the open market. I bet he signs a discount deal on a stanley cup contending team
That's not realistic at all. What 3rd line checking centre in this league puts up 50+ points and faces the other teams' top lines every night while keeping their head above water?

This organization has no piece, present or future, that can perform even half of Backlund's role.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #4844
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if he is by far the best on the team, then that probably means we wont be a stanley cup contending team
Then trade everyone and pick 1st overall for a few seasons? Just do nothing unless you are a Stanley Cup favorite every year? Trade Backlund for a late 1st who might play his first game in the NHL when Gaudreau is 29, if at all?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #4845
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's not realistic at all. What 3rd line checking centre in this league puts up 50+ points and faces the other teams' top lines every night while keeping their head above water?

This organization has no piece, present or future, that can perform even half of Backlund's role.
I bet theres lots of 3rd line checking centers in the league given top 6 roles and pp time that put up 50+ points. Im just saying, with backlund as our 2nd line center we aint contending and signing him to a long term high dollar contract will not help us win a stanley cup.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #4846
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I bet theres lots of 3rd line checking centers in the league given top 6 roles and pp time that put up 50+ points. Im just saying, with backlund as our 2nd line center we aint contending and signing him to a long term high dollar contract will not help us win a stanley cup.
And how will trading him for a late 1st help us compete when the Flames need to be competing in the next few years or they never will at all?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #4847
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Then trade everyone and pick 1st overall for a few seasons? Just do nothing unless you are a Stanley Cup favorite every year? Trade Backlund for a late 1st who might play his first game in the NHL when Gaudreau is 29, if at all?
If the season continues to be mediocre then ya management may have to look at that. Some nights the coyotes look better than us and this groups "supposed" to be in win now mode.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #4848
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ashasx to be clear, i dont believe this group of guys we have will ever be stanley cup contenders. Playoff bubble team at best. Obviously i hope im wrong
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #4849
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

So just trade Backlund, Gaudreau, Monahan, and start over?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #4850
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So just trade Backlund, Gaudreau, Monahan, and start over?
No but signing backlund to a 6 million a year contract will handcuff the team into mediocrity
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #4851
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No but signing backlund to a 6 million a year contract will handcuff the team into mediocrity
That won't, because Backlund certainly provides that value to the Flames and more, but I can certainly guarantee that trading him hurts our chances of competing for a long time.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #4852
RoughRiderRowdy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If backlund wants 3rd line checking center money (4-4.5 ish per) then yeah its a no brainer we keep him. But lets all be realistic here
Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #4853
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

So the Flames have an elite defensive shut down Centre, a top 4 that is the envy of all but a handful of teams in the league, and legit number 1 goalie yet they are middle pack in goals against.

Backlund is the most overrated player on this board in my opinion and I like Backlund a lot. I do believe he can get 5-6M on the open market but if he is loyal to the team that drafted him I hope he signs for no more than $5M with a max term of 5 years.

Signing Backlund to a $6M deal will end up costing the team down the road in my opinion. I was okay lying Gio until he is in his late 30’s because he is an elite number 1 Dman. Backlund is a very good second line centre but not sure we want another guy getting paid north of $6M in his 30’s. Loui Ericsson, Troy Brouwer, Andrew Ladd are all regrettable contracts and all players were similar age to Backlund when they signed their deals
Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 AM   #4854
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the season continues to be mediocre then ya management may have to look at that. Some nights the coyotes look better than us and this groups "supposed" to be in win now mode.
Some nights the Coyotes have looked better than the Penguins (or the Blues, Preds, Lightning and Knights). So what?

I don't think Treliving has ever said they were in "win this year" mode. Certainly the aim was to be better than they are right now, but the fact he was tinkering with pieces like Glass, Lack and Jagr tells me he's thinking one or two years down the road still. I think he signed Smith as the best available goalie while the three prospects in goal get ready, not because he thought he was the answer to win a cup.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:41 AM   #4855
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If backlund wants 3rd line checking center money (4-4.5 ish per) then yeah its a no brainer we keep him. But lets all be realistic here
Let's be realistic, but you're calling Backlund a 3rd line checking centre?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #4856
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
So the Flames have an elite defensive shut down Centre, a top 4 that is the envy of all but a handful of teams in the league, and legit number 1 goalie yet they are middle pack in goals against.

Backlund is the most overrated player on this board in my opinion and I like Backlund a lot. I do believe he can get 5-6M on the open market but if he is loyal to the team that drafted him I hope he signs for no more than $5M with a max term of 5 years.

Signing Backlund to a $6M deal will end up costing the team down the road in my opinion. I was okay lying Gio until he is in his late 30’s because he is an elite number 1 Dman. Backlund is a very good second line centre but not sure we want another guy getting paid north of $6M in his 30’s. Loui Ericsson, Troy Brouwer, Andrew Ladd are all regrettable contracts and all players were similar age to Backlund when they signed their deals
The problem with this team is bottom 6 depth and coaching, most prominently special teams. Backlund is doing his best to mask these issues, but he is not a wizard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 09:42 AM   #4857
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep in mind the cap goes up.

But yes, anything more than 5m is bad.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #4858
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And how will trading him for a late 1st help us compete when the Flames need to be competing in the next few years or they never will at all?
It does free up salary cap space to improve the teams in other ways and ensures they can keep Ferland, Bennett, and Tkachuk and either keep or replace Smith next summer. Also getting a first for Backlund will recoup the first traded for Hamonic and keep the cupboards stocked.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #4859
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the forum that vastly thought paying Brouwer $4.5MM per season when the cap was $10MM lower was a fair deal, but thinks another over $5MM for Backlund is bad?

Am I taking crazy pills? What are you guys watching?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #4860
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund isn't a 3rd line center on any team but Pittsburgh.
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread