Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2016, 01:57 PM   #41
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
With that attitude, why do anything? We enjoy Pokemon. Why? Because we want to. Because we enjoy it. What is the point of cheering for a certain sports team? Why would you do this? Not everyone likes what you like, and you certainly don't like what others may like. Do you really need to question this? Or are you just so full of yourself that you think everyone should be exactly like you?

What is the point of coming into a thread you claim to know nothing about then proceed to judge those that do know something about it.

I'm not judging. I don't understand the concept. How do you "win"? Like is it basically like geocaching but in an urban environment?
Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM   #42
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I'm not judging. I don't understand the concept. How do you "win"? Like is it basically like geocaching but in an urban environment?
At the risk of outing myself as a complete nerd:

It's based on the original style of the pokemon game, where you would run your character through a virtual "world" and encounter pokemon / events / etc. at random.

The goal of the game was to collect as many of the creatures as you could, and level them up.

Basically, now instead of running your character through a virtual world that is disconnected from the real world, the pokemon / events / locations / etc. are layered over the real world.

So I can be out for a walk with my kid to the park, and a rare creature could pop up on my phone for me to get. Or be having a beer on a patio on Stephen Ave., etc, etc...

And the creatures available by location change too.

My friend was just in LA and Phoenix, and has a ton of unique ones that you wouldn't be able to get in Calgary.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IliketoPuck For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 02:54 PM   #43
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm super tempted to get this in spite of being way too old to run around chasing pokemon on the streets.....

That van meme is perfect. The technology to pull this off is 18 years too late!!
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:40 PM   #44
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If you signed up with your Google account, might want to revoke that access (though you'll lose your progress I'm sure). They have full access to your gmail account.

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-gets-fu...n-i-1783467458

Just to add to this, it's only like that for iOS. Permissions on Android are normal (I think it's just access to camera, GPS, stuff like that). Apparently, you can revoke permissions, but it may cause the game to not work.

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-revoke-...you-1783466118

Last edited by Flaming Choy; 07-11-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #45
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Revoking it caused it to not work for me. You can register to the Pokemon Trainer Club but they're throttling new accounts.

I already had a trainer ID, but you can't even paste your password into the password field of the app.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:08 PM   #46
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I know someone tried to explain this to me but I still have no ####ing idea what you guys are talking about. Why would you do this? What is the point?
It's an Augmented Reality game. Basically, you use your camera and use real life pictures and video to generate game content. As to why you would do this, because it's fun. I can definitely see kids going nuts for this.

People, whether kids or adults, love to collect things. It's part of human nature I guess. That's why Nintendo is so successful releasing games and toys where the point is to collect them.

This game just makes it more fun by using real life locations to collect in game things. It's a pretty neat idea IMO.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:58 PM   #47
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Do you do anything after you catch them? The fun of Pokemon to me was always training and battling, the catching was a more of a means to an end.
You can increase their strength and eventually evolve them. Basically let's say you catch a Pidgey, you can use items found at PokeStops (Landmarks around town such as walking trails, playgrounds, etc), or rewards for levelling up, or even capture multiple Pidgey's and use them to make them stronger. Each Pokemon has a max rating and its best to level them all the way before evolving them. You can also go to Gyms when you're strong enough, and I think you can battle other people that you run into

Last edited by doctajones428; 07-11-2016 at 06:00 PM.
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #48
Dime_On_Flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Old 07-11-2016, 07:06 PM   #49
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
At the risk of outing myself as a complete nerd:

It's based on the original style of the pokemon game, where you would run your character through a virtual "world" and encounter pokemon / events / etc. at random.

The goal of the game was to collect as many of the creatures as you could, and level them up.

Basically, now instead of running your character through a virtual world that is disconnected from the real world, the pokemon / events / locations / etc. are layered over the real world.

So I can be out for a walk with my kid to the park, and a rare creature could pop up on my phone for me to get. Or be having a beer on a patio on Stephen Ave., etc, etc...

And the creatures available by location change too.

My friend was just in LA and Phoenix, and has a ton of unique ones that you wouldn't be able to get in Calgary.

Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #50
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

So, if I am walking down the street to find a Pokemon, and IITP is coming at it from the other direction and I collect it first, can he still get it? Or, did I totally piss off a perfect stranger?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:43 PM   #51
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
So, if I am walking down the street to find a Pokemon, and IITP is coming at it from the other direction and I collect it first, can he still get it? Or, did I totally piss off a perfect stranger?
There will be a copy available for everybody so you could go out in a group and everybody ends up finding the same thing.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:02 PM   #52
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

The fact that they have full rights to your google account including files, password reminder emails etc is no es bueno for me. I have the game installed but instantly revoked access and haven't opened it since. I will try it again when that issue is resolved, no telling how much money they can make selling your email contact list etc.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:40 PM   #53
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
The fact that they have full rights to your google account including files, password reminder emails etc is no es bueno for me. I have the game installed but instantly revoked access and haven't opened it since. I will try it again when that issue is resolved, no telling how much money they can make selling your email contact list etc.
Response from Niantic

Quote:
We recently discovered that the Pokémon GO account creation process on iOS erroneously requests full access permission for the user’s Google account. However, Pokémon GO only accesses basic Google profile information (specifically, your User ID and email address) and no other Google account information is or has been accessed or collected. Once we became aware of this error, we began working on a client-side fix to request permission for only basic Google profile information, in line with the data that we actually access. Google has verified that no other information has been received or accessed by Pokémon GO or Niantic. Google will soon reduce Pokémon GO’s permission to only the basic profile data that Pokémon GO needs, and users do not need to take any actions themselves.

http://www.destructoid.com/if-you-re...t-374413.phtml
Figured it was just an oversight. If you want to be safe, wait for the update then you can continue on your Pokemon Master Quest.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Choy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #54
DatSOOKin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I've been hearing rumors of people getting banned for playing this in Canada before the release. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this? I've uninstalled the game in the interim.
DatSOOKin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:51 PM   #55
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Highly doubt they'll ban the people who are most likely to play the game the most even after the official release.

At most they'll reset their accounts but I doubt they'll even do that.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:26 AM   #56
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just installed it to check it out, what an absolute bloodbath on the battery of my G4. Presumably much better on iPhones.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:29 AM   #57
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatSOOKin View Post
I've been hearing rumors of people getting banned for playing this in Canada before the release. Does anybody know if there is any truth to this? I've uninstalled the game in the interim.
there have been rumours about this, but it seems there isn't any truth to this. At this point, so many people outside of US and Australia have installed and played the game that I'm sure banning so many people is pretty much impossible. Plus, why would you ban your future customers? Makes little sense.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:51 AM   #58
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Looks like you can sponsor this game.

Pizzeria in NYC paid $10 for pokemon to appear in their restaurant, claims business up 75%.

I will imagine all sorts of shops and restaurants will start doing this soon.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/12/pokeman...ium=SocialFlow

Last edited by sureLoss; 07-12-2016 at 07:40 AM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every so often Nintendo has some genius idea and really cashes in.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:33 AM   #60
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am the best Pokemon Master on CalgaryPuck.

Maybe a place like Menshies could do well with that kind of sponsorship. They have similar demographics.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 07-12-2016 at 07:35 AM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote