Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Czech team looks a little better than Canada or the US IMO. They have a decent shot
I'd agree with this. I think Canada is in tough as a lot of other countries have a whole lot of other wells that are not restricted to draw from whereas Canada is basically limited to, and I mean no disrespect to the players but rather brutal honesty; 'Hasbeens or Neverweres.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Always enjoyed watching goalie Patrik Bartosak (Red Deer Rebels) in the Dub. (Kings drafted him in 5th in 2013 after a stellar 2012-13 campaign.
He put up some good games for the Rebels.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2018, 01:22 PM   #23
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Please tell me Michal Jordan is wearing #23.
It always bugged me that when he was in the Hurricanes organization, he didn't wear 23.

Seeing how it's the Olympics, he should be wearing #9 though.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I'd agree with this. I think Canada is in tough as a lot of other countries have a whole lot of other wells that are not restricted to draw from whereas Canada is basically limited to, and I mean no disrespect to the players but rather brutal honesty; 'Hasbeens or Neverweres.'
This team has Cervenka, Horak, and Nakladal. I'm not sure they are much different than the "Hasbeens or Neverweres" of Canada.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
This team has Cervenka, Horak, and Nakladal. I'm not sure they are much different than the "Hasbeens or Neverweres" of Canada.
You mean players who played years in the KHL and various other leagues?

We've got AHL guys who barely, if ever, made the jump and NHL guys so over the hill they couldnt get a PTO if their lives depended on it.

I know we look down our noses at other leagues like the KHL, the SEL, SM-Liiga, etc, but I guess we'll see what happens.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #26
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 33 year old Nigel Dawes is leading the league in goal scoring. He is just behind Linus Omark and Linden Vey who currently are 3rd through 5th in the scoring race. They were all trying to make/stay in the NHL at 26. They all failed. It's a league full of neverweres and hasbeens as much as Team Canada is (and I say that with respect, just using your terms). With the exception of Kovalchuk and a 40 year old Datsyuk. I mean, half of Team Canada is from the KHL....including Vey. So sort of contradictory argument to say that Team Canada is "neverweres and hasbeens" while saying we look down our noses at other leagues when most of Team Canada is filled with players from those other leagues.

Matt Ellison was invited to Team Canada training camp, did not make the team. He's a top 10 point producer in the KHL right now.

I mean, obviously Canada isn't stacked by any means and it's now close enough that it won't take a miracle for any team to beat any team, but I take Team Canada fairly easily over the Czech team.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 01-15-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #27
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You mean players who played years in the KHL and various other leagues?

We've got AHL guys who barely, if ever, made the jump and NHL guys so over the hill they couldnt get a PTO if their lives depended on it.

I know we look down our noses at other leagues like the KHL, the SEL, SM-Liiga, etc, but I guess we'll see what happens.
Canada's got KHL players as well. Kozun has more points than Horak. Brule, O'Dell and Wolski also. Linden Vey is lighting it up there.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #28
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Then it will be even sweeter when they bring home the Gold!
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM   #29
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raymond/Bourque/Vey vs. Nakladal/Cervenka/Horak

If you're a fan of obscure former Flames, this tournament's just too close to call...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post: