Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #301
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
GG didn't cite puck luck - that was Brouwer, no? GG said they weren't executing very well and had to get back to the right way to play. In other words, they are taking shortcuts and being lazy. That's a bag skate to me.
Gulutzan did say bounces and Cameron said puck luck to radio guys. But whatever something was done after back to back poor home performances. For me this d corps has great skating, puck moving defencemen yet the puck is not moved very well currently. It just seems that things bog down in their end and some credit should be due the opponent. However, its been a consistent theme - bad breakouts, turnovers, slow play, giving up too much - that has not improved. They have survived it in some games (Smith) or have played well in spurts (just talking about play in their end).

When I watch other teams (especially when they're playing against the Flames) the puck moves so much faster out of their end, more decisive play, less time defending. It makes no sense with the talent (and investment) CGY has there.

Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 12-05-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:04 PM   #302
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a coach says following a games is meaningless 99.99% of the time.

The only thing more consistently meaningless is what a player says during a game.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM   #303
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

A small thing I'm hoping Gulutzan also works on is his relationship management with the referees. Melrose made a good point in his book, saying that if he's calm most of the time then it's more effective when you do lose your marbles entirely. In his words of what the ref's thinking at the time: "Wow. Barry is very steamed. He never screams at me like this. Maybe my call there was a real bad one."

Now this isn't me hoping that he flies off the handle, Playfair style. Establishing a relationship as a coach between refs, especially ones you encounter on a regular basis, means more than some might think, and this passage from Kerry Fraser's PT article strikes me particularly deeply:
Quote:
I went right to the visiting team’s coaches room to talk to Joel Quenneville, who was coaching the Blues at the time. I told him we had a little problem. I told him what was said. And I’ll never forget Joel’s face. He’s such a solid guy.

He said, “Do you want me to have Tyson take his gear off?”

I said, “No, I want him to apologize.”

Joel said, “Great idea,” and he went right into the locker room to talk to Tyson.
What I'd like to see, every time he sees a call he doesn't agree with (which happens all the time) all he needs to do is to lean over the bench, put his foot up on the boards and wave the ref over. It could just be a really brief 10-15 second conversation, but establishing dialogue is important. Refs are still people, after all. Glen can make his case like Trotz did there, let them know he's not pleased with the decision without abusing them verbally, and then that's the end of it.

Every time I see him look down at the monitors I think to myself, dammit Glen you're going into "assistant coach" mode again.

Once in a while have a Playfair moment just so we can all immortalize it on Streamable. The phantom 5-min majors that were handed out vs the Red Wings and Flyers would have been great times to just go bonkers screaming at the top of your lungs while having Gerrard and Cameron pretend to hold you back.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #304
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was Cameron who said puck luck. So they wanted a practice to show them how they should play and then bag skated them. So in the Leafs game, are they going to race from hash mark to hash mark. And race back and forth from side to side. Great! Love this team but I am working towards hoping for two blowouts.
OldSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #305
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm no Gulutzan apologist, but a bag skate was exactly what the team needed in my opinion. Not necessarily in response to the Flyers game in isolation, and not in response to a lack of effort. But rather to get the team playing an intense, focused, uptempo, game, they need to have their legs underneath them. This is a team that should be using the strengths of strong skaters like Brodie, Bennett, Ferland, Gaudreau, Backlund, Frolik, Jankowski, Giordano, Hamilton, Kulak, Hathaway, and Lazar(assuming he's an NHL talent but that's a different story) to create space for everybody else. Playing with your legs is a mindset, and the typical Laissez Faire Glen practices have produced Laissez Faire Glen games. First periods should be about hustle, second periods should be about adjustments, and third periods should be about both of those things. Our first periods lack hustle. It's not a character problem, it's simply a mindset problem.

Don't forget, the team was skated pretty hard after Halloween, and came out with one of their best games against the Penguins. It's not punishment to be pushed in practice.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post: