Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #2961
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Due to my son playing hockey at ness this week, I have been driving on Stoney at lot this week and level of lawlessness surprises me

- it seems pepople who use this road feel it is ok to cruise at 140 or so(I usually do 115 - so,perhaps,I should not thro stones)
- when traffic is backed up, folks have no issues sliding over into a merge lane, and moving up 20 cars and then merging back in
- folks will also bail out in areas where the grass has been worn away to form a "dirt access road"

I have lived in the Deep SE for a long time and don't recall seeing that on deerfoot
I've seen all of those things way more often on Deerfoot than on Stoney... Although people do drive a bit faster on Stoney since it's a better road.

They even put those posts in around Southland to prevent trucks from leaving Deerfoot to that side road that parallels to get around traffic, and people constantly jump into that lane to pass everyone and merge back.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #2962
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ are you taking about the southland merge to southbound deerfoot or northbound deerfoot?

I have never noticed that because the southbound merge has lots of people exiting off of southland, so it is stop and go. in addition you have guys trying to merge over from the left lanes of deerfoot to exit at Anderson rd/bow bottom. and the northbound lanes quickly merges off to glendeer circle so it can back up.

to me you can jump into the merge lanes on stoney because there is not as much traffic merging onto northbound stoney
Old 08-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #2963
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
You should suggest a pedestrian overpass to your Councillor.
That's a good idea. However, Pincott hasn't gotten back to me either time I've contacted him with an issue. He's pretty much just going through the motions at this point. So I'll wait until a new council is sworn in.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:32 AM   #2964
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Yes, you should have done the bolded. Please don't try to correct other people's driving while behind the wheel. It never works, and often has the opposite effect. The biker won't get the message. He'll just think you're an ####### and keep doing it, or escalate things to a road rage incident.
Also, "I deliberately caused a collision by cutting off an oncoming vehicle" would not be met with anything but fines and huge increases in insurance. And possibly lawsuits.

The bikers were impatient and dumb, but Northendzone, you're bragging about being even dumber.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:44 AM   #2965
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lane splitting should be legal. It's done in California flawlessly.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when motorcycles squeeze through. It literally doesn't change your position at all when you are stuck in traffic.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 09:48 AM   #2966
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Also, "I deliberately caused a collision by cutting off an oncoming vehicle" would not be met with anything but fines and huge increases in insurance. And possibly lawsuits.

The bikers were impatient and dumb, but Northendzone, you're bragging about being even dumber.

I have had a tough week making several dumb decisions.......
Old 08-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #2967
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Lane splitting should be legal. It's done in California flawlessly.

I don't know why people get so bent out of shape when motorcycles squeeze through. It literally doesn't change your position at all when you are stuck in traffic.
I don't really have a problem if bikers slowly go up the shoulder in situations where the road is completely dead due to a crash. But lane splitting absolutely should not be legal as a general rule. Especically on highways.

As far as California doing it "flawlessly" goes, that is impossible to say given the state currently does not track how many accidents are caused by or involve lane splitting. On a 14-month period where it did, it found that 17% of motorcycle accidents involved lane splitting.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 08-30-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #2968
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing that a lot of people(especially non riders) don't consider in the lane splitting debate is that on a plus 30 day there is a real danger that a rider stuck in gridlock could get heat stroke since they obviously don't have a/c. I haven't road a bike in quite some time but I think lane splitting in gridlock should absolutely be permitted.
iggy_oi is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #2969
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

People here have issues with lane splitting not because they perceive it to be dangerous. But they don't like the idea of someone ''budging'' them and moving ahead.

People get mad when people drive to the end of the merge lane to zipper merge, even though it's what you're supposed to do. People get mad when you try to pass them, sometimes accelerating to cut you off and prevent you from moving ahead. Heck, people get mad when you walk faster them then to the front of the till at the grocery store.

Lane splitting work perfectly fine in many other countries. In Deerfoot going 100+ km/h with people weaving all over the place? Probably not. But in gridlock. Absolutely 100% it should be allowed.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #2970
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so why should motorcyclists be allowed to cruise on the shoulder in grid lock? why can't those in vehicles with 4 or more wheels do the same thing?

the shoulder on stoney is very wide.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 AM   #2971
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Construction zone implementation in Alberta needs to be overhauled.

I was a fan of the Highway 2 work going on where they put up the barriers and only dropped the limit to 100. Thats great.

Not taking down the lowered limit signs when no one is working and having far too long of construction zones than what is needed really makes people speed and not care about the zones.
But where else would CPS setup photo radar if not after hours in construction zones or downhill on major roadways? I'm surprised they just didn't install a permanent fixture when they did the Crowchild/Richard Road Bridge construction. As much as I agree with you, it seems it is set up exactly how they want it.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #2972
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
People here have issues with lane splitting not because they perceive it to be dangerous. But they don't like the idea of someone ''budging'' them and moving ahead.

People get mad when people drive to the end of the merge lane to zipper merge, even though it's what you're supposed to do. People get mad when you try to pass them, sometimes accelerating to cut you off and prevent you from moving ahead. Heck, people get mad when you walk faster them then to the front of the till at the grocery store.

Lane splitting work perfectly fine in many other countries. In Deerfoot going 100+ km/h with people weaving all over the place? Probably not. But in gridlock. Absolutely 100% it should be allowed.
This. 100% this. People and their entitlement issues are the problem.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:30 AM   #2973
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

I believe the actual rule in CA is that you can lane split as long as you aren't going above the speed limit.

So if the limit is 50, and everyone is slowing to 40 due to traffic volume, motorcycles can still lane split as long as they don't go over 50mph. If all traffic is flowing at the posted limit, then no splitting allowed.

Makes tons of sense to me. I guess people just can't stand the fact that someone 'got ahead of them', even though a motorcycle splitting a lane has zero bearing on you getting somewhere faster.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #2974
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
This. 100% this. People and their entitlement issues are the problem.
Like the idea that people should be entitled to lane split, perhaps?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #2975
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Like the idea that people should be entitled to lane split, perhaps?
Old 08-31-2017, 06:55 AM   #2976
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, if there is enough room a smart car should be allowed to lane split too. Hey, if there's a big enough gap, take your mini van between a couple of other vehicles. But people's stupid entitlement issues are keeping us from having a progressive highway system like they have in Bangkok or North Africa.

And have you ever noticed how many people stop at red lights, even when there aren't any other vehicles crossing? It's just a light! Let's get traffic moving here.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #2977
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

imagine three vehicles abreast on a two lane roadway - of 6 or so on deerfoot. Not much room for error even at 40 kph
Old 08-31-2017, 07:45 AM   #2978
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I should have snapped a picture and then sent it to CPS to see if they could issue a ticket.
They would have...to you, for distracted driving.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2017, 07:49 AM   #2979
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
imagine three vehicles abreast on a two lane roadway - of 6 or so on deerfoot. Not much room for error even at 40 kph
I've seen 6 lanes of traffic before on Deerfoot. At Anderson and Deerfoot northbound on snowy days when lanes can't be seen people will often make an extra lane or two in that area. On those days you pretty much put your car wherever there is room.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:50 AM   #2980
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so why should motorcyclists be allowed to cruise on the shoulder in grid lock? why can't those in vehicles with 4 or more wheels do the same thing?

the shoulder on stoney is very wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Yeah, if there is enough room a smart car should be allowed to lane split too. Hey, if there's a big enough gap, take your mini van between a couple of other vehicles. But people's stupid entitlement issues are keeping us from having a progressive highway system like they have in Bangkok or North Africa.

And have you ever noticed how many people stop at red lights, even when there aren't any other vehicles crossing? It's just a light! Let's get traffic moving here.
The point of lane splitting is to keep people safe though, not give them specific privileges or anything. I've sat on Deerfoot when its 30+ in full gear because heaven forbid I pass people on the shoulder going 30-40kms/hr. People somehow feel that you're getting one over on them or things like that and will either block your way, or even open their door to prevent the sensible solution.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post: