Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #41
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Maybe I missed it, but I don't think he said that the qualifying offer was the only thing on the table.
Maybe I am inferring it a little bit... I'm just going by what Laine said in the article that started this thread quoted him as saying - it is very one-sided and we don't get a Jets perspective on it. I do see your point... how could there be no other offer coming from the Jets (even a lower ball one above the qualifying offer)... it just doesn't make sense.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:00 AM   #42
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Colour me shocked. Who could imagine that a star impact forward would want out of a small market at the first opportunity he has any leverage to make it happen?

Laine’s time in Winnipeg started ticking down from the time they drafted him. They got lucky and won the lottery which allowed them to select him. But how welcome will he be in the room with comments like this? Chevy fumbled the ball horribly with Trouba and sold him for pennies on the dollar. While he can’t accommodate every trade request out of Winnipeg, he and his staff can do a much better job selecting players where this won’t be an issue.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 AM   #43
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ it's been brought up many times in this thread, but Laine is not asking to get out.

Exactly the opposite is what this entire thread is discussing
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #44
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Colour me shocked. Who could imagine that a star impact forward would want out of a small market at the first opportunity he has any leverage to make it happen?

Laine’s time in Winnipeg started ticking down from the time they drafted him. They got lucky and won the lottery which allowed them to select him. But how welcome will he be in the room with comments like this? Chevy fumbled the ball horribly with Trouba and sold him for pennies on the dollar. While he can’t accommodate every trade request out of Winnipeg, he and his staff can do a much better job selecting players where this won’t be an issue.
Laine ‘no one from the Jets has spoken to me about a contract extension’

.... where did you come up with him asking for a trade?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:16 AM   #45
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's so odd if true that the two parties haven't talked. He's a top end guy and to not even engage with his agent this late into the summer is odd...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:23 PM   #46
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

You wonder if Chevy has the stones Dr. Doom alluded to, and just focused this summer on freeing up the money he's looking to sign everyone for.

If he's waiting for the Marner contract to settle before he wastes his time talking with Laine's agent I admire his confidence. It's about all that makes sense to me really. Amongst all the chatter of offer sheets leading into the off-season he might have looked around and decided that no one was going to do a thing until Marner was settled. He also must've been confident that no one was going to offer anything that would handcuff him, so if anything... silence all season could be used to justify a lower offer.

The stones on Chevy if that's true, but it'll be interesting to see how everything settles (Calgary included)
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #47
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
You wonder if Chevy has the stones Dr. Doom alluded to, and just focused this summer on freeing up the money he's looking to sign everyone for.

If he's waiting for the Marner contract to settle before he wastes his time talking with Laine's agent I admire his confidence. It's about all that makes sense to me really. Amongst all the chatter of offer sheets leading into the off-season he might have looked around and decided that no one was going to do a thing until Marner was settled. He also must've been confident that no one was going to offer anything that would handcuff him, so if anything... silence all season could be used to justify a lower offer.

The stones on Chevy if that's true, but it'll be interesting to see how everything settles (Calgary included)
I am betting that it is Laine's side that is holding off signing anything other than a massive over payment until Marner is settled. They, like the rest of the top RFA are expecting Marner to set the bar high for everyone else.

If it was just Laine not signed, I might think Chevy was just playing his cards, but because almost every top RFA is in the same boat right now, I suspect the players and agents are the ones steering the ship right now.

Just my gut feeling.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM   #48
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yep, what he said above, they are all waiting for Marner to set the bar and then they can all try and get just under it. You won't see any of these guys or their agents making any moves until Marner does.
So basically this is all down to Dubas messing up the whole market this summer, thanks to the deals he signed with Mathews and Nylander.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:42 PM   #49
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Laine has said that his agent and the GM haven't talked, I'd be inclined to think it's a strategic move on the agents' part as well. Agents by most accounts I've read, can be pretty hands on with conversations with GM's. That's especially true when they have a player with clout, and with Laine, I think he has enough clout to fall into that bucket. So if Cheveldayoff hasn't contacted the players side and the players side really wanted something done sooner, they'd call the other side up to get things rolling. The fact that it's on hold is probably for the Marner thing to set the bar then they'd ask for money accordingly. Surprised Laine opened his mouth if that's the case (because he'd obviously be in the loop) but perhaps he's antsy when so much money is on the line.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:08 AM   #50
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Waiting for a team that is over the cap limit already seems crazy to me... I know Toronto has maybe 13 million in LTIR space available and I know that Dubas has the reputation of overpaying - still, allowing a team that is already passed the cap limit to set the pace doesn't seem like a good plan to me. I think everyone needs to worry about their own contracts considering that there is really very little cap space remaining.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14 AM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Waiting for a team that is over the cap limit already seems crazy to me... I know Toronto has maybe 13 million in LTIR space available and I know that Dubas has the reputation of overpaying - still, allowing a team that is already passed the cap limit to set the pace doesn't seem like a good plan to me. I think everyone needs to worry about their own contracts considering that there is really very little cap space remaining.
It’s not that teams are waiting for the Leafs. It’s that agents are waiting for Marner. He’s the best RFA available and will set the market.

So they are holding strong on their initial ask (which is likely high), but they know Marners ask will be realllllyyy high.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:11 AM   #52
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Laine is a floater who has a great shot and a nose for the net. I think Winnipeg will trade him and get a kings ransom for him and then watch the next team be dissapointed in him.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #53
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy had 2 amazing years, with a down year in the last, of his ELC, in which he still hit 30 goals.

I don't really see this as big news. None of the big name RFA’s are saying anything, yet there's reports that each negotiation appears to be in some kind of holding pattern.

It's clear that Marner is the major forward RFA domino. If he's willing to be patient and sit, I'd expect most of these guys to follow suit, Laine being no different.

All laine has done is being more public by making a statement.

He's a star player. He's going to get his $10 million or a bridge that's still in the 8ish range i think, likely in wpg, in my opinion.

Last edited by bubbsy; 08-19-2019 at 09:21 AM.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:05 AM   #54
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Guy had 2 amazing years, with a down year in the last, of his ELC, in which he still hit 30 goals.

I don't really see this as big news. None of the big name RFA’s are saying anything, yet there's reports that each negotiation appears to be in some kind of holding pattern.

It's clear that Marner is the major forward RFA domino. If he's willing to be patient and sit, I'd expect most of these guys to follow suit, Laine being no different.

All laine has done is been more public by making a statement.

He's a star player. He's going to get his $10 million or a bridge that's still in the 8ish range i think, likely in wpg, in my opinion.
Tkachuk was rated higher #17 to #19 in the NHL.com forwards. In his CP contract thread there were 5 out of 334 people who thought he might get 7x10 or 8x10.

For his bridge deals... the highest (imaginable) in the poll was 3x6.

Is Laine with 9 goals and 26 pts -20 in his last 58 NHL games that much more valuable than Tkachuk?
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:23 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I expect that none of these high end RFA's are going to sign until the bitter end in November (I think). This feels like a situation of who blinks first.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:25 AM   #56
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok, so what's defining him more the last 58 games of his elc or the first 179 games, where he recorded 158 points (101 goals)??

In my view, laine is a more prolific player than tkatchuk, who absolutely deserves more dough given the results so far and potential.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #57
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I expect that none of these high end RFA's are going to sign until the bitter end in November (I think). This feels like a situation of who blinks first.
I dunno about that. One or two I can see, but to say none of them will sign till November would be a little out there. That's at least what, 5 or 6 really high level guys (Marner, Point, Rantanen, Tkatchuk, Laine, Connor, Boeser just off the top of my head). I'm sure there are others I missed too.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #58
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be interesting to see who budges first out of the players. It would be Point IMO.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:05 PM   #59
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I dunno about that. One or two I can see, but to say none of them will sign till November would be a little out there. That's at least what, 5 or 6 really high level guys (Marner, Point, Rantanen, Tkatchuk, Laine, Connor, Boeser just off the top of my head). I'm sure there are others I missed too.
I think you're more likely to see the guys on the lower end of that - Connor and Boeser - sign more readily. I think there's a significant gap between them and the higher-end guys, Point, Rantanen, Marner and Laine. Those guys are likely waiting for each other to sign so that they can then set the market. Tkachuk is somewhere in between those two groups, so once Connor / Boeser sign he can say "okay, I'm worth X% more than that", and go from there.

The issue is that Marner is overvaluing himself, so that has the potential to draw out for a while, and most people think he's the one the others are waiting for.

Point is an interesting one, because he is arguably worth at least whatever Rantanen and Marner are (if not more), which favours sitting out, but the Lightning don't desperate need him to start the season with them because they're making the playoffs in any case, and despite getting themselves out from under Miller and Callahan, still need to pinch pennies where possible. Could see that taking some time.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:50 PM   #60
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin+Dube+Frolik+1st for laine and beaulieu ?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote