Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
I agree with your assessment except the Myers and Ferland signings.

Myers contract with the Jets was 5m and signed with the Canucks for 6m on July 1st with crazy money being thrown around the league ... how was that an overpayment? a year too long but definitely not overpaid.

Ferland - I don't know how 4 years is too long for a 27 yr old?
A 27 year old who is probably one concussion away from LTIR?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:34 PM   #22
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Adding Miller, Myers, Ferland and Benn is going to make them a lot better moving forward. At most, they're overpaid by 1.0-1.5M combined, which is really a non issue. Add to their already pretty impressive young and dynamic core players, Vancouver is building something decent over there.
They missed the playoff's by 9 points and 3 wins last year. I don't know if they'll make it next year, but they'll definitely be in the fight for at least the wildcard spots. As much as we like to #### on Benning, he's done a decent job turning around that team.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 05:50 PM   #23
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
A 27 year old who is probably one concussion away from LTIR?
here we go again with the "one concussion" "one punch" away from retirement/LITR...

every player that plays a physical game like hockey is one concussion away from LITR.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barca For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM   #24
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Myers deal is one of the worst contracts in the NHL. A lot of that is because he was just signed, and therefore there are six years left on it, but it's definitely top 20. He is a $3M defenseman being paid double that amount long term. It's horrendous. The Eriksson deal was obviously bad to anyone but a homer the day it was signed, and it didn't matter that 6x6 was "the market" for his services... this is no different.

Ferland is the best signing they've made in... I don't know how long. I seriously cannot think of another truly good UFA deal made under Benning. Edler is okay, I guess; too much money but the term is right and it's not WAY too much money like Myers is.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #25
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

From a drafting stand point:
From a UFA stand point:

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 PM   #26
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Myers contract with the Jets was 5m and signed with the Canucks for 6m on July 1st with crazy money being thrown around the league ... how was that an overpayment? a year too long but definitely not overpaid.

Myers isn’t very good and was overpaid at $5M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:02 PM   #27
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to love the canucks growth in the first 5 years of the Benning regime. First year was somewhat worrisome with 48 wins, but to follow that up with 31 wins, 30 wins, 31 wins and then 35 wins is right where you want to see the canucks. I think with the addition of Myers they are right on track for another 30 win season.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Really, looking at the Canucks -- they draft well, they sign their RFAs to good contracts. Their trades are hit-and-miss.

But man, their UFAs are just putrid.
This sounds exactly like the Flames
(I also think the Ferland signing was great)
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #29
simonsays
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

His day to day stuff is pretty hit and miss. Horvat is a great contract / Sutter is a terrible one, Petterson is a phenomenal draft pick / Juolevi looks like a terrible one, Ferland is a pretty good UFA signing / every other UFA he's ever signed is on a terrible contract.

So overall he seems about average, except I can't help but think that his long term planning about as good as his UFA work. I understand picking up guys like Roussel and Beagle, adding grit and work ethic for an over pay makes sense. But why give them that term? Should've given them more money for less term, they'd be perfect trade bait at the deadline this year if they didn't have 2 more years (following this one) on their contracts. Bennings biggest skill appears to be at the draft table, and yet the guy bleeds draft picks and doesn't seem to invested in recouping them.

I understand the need for stability in a rebuilding club. But having a guy at the top who doesn't have any real vision for the future means that they're going to be spinning their tires when it's finally time to gain some ground. And I agree with yourbestfriend about them challenging for a wildcard slot this year, but I don't really think they should be. Especially when the cost is long term commitments to average players like Myers.
simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #30
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m also hit and miss on Benning. I get his strategy to patiently build through the draft while surrounding the youth with FAs but his execution has been mediocre. The early missed draft picks hurt and the team is handcuffed with the ridiculous term on many FAs. I understand why he was extended but as a Flames fan am not scared.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #31
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
here we go again with the "one concussion" "one punch" away from retirement/LITR...

every player that plays a physical game like hockey is one concussion away from LITR.
We got a doctor in here!
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 AM   #32
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I’m also hit and miss on Benning. I get his strategy to patiently build through the draft while surrounding the youth with FAs but his execution has been mediocre. The early missed draft picks hurt and the team is handcuffed with the ridiculous term on many FAs. I understand why he was extended but as a Flames fan am not scared.
His strategy is to patiently build through the draft while having fewer than 7 picks every year
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:48 AM   #33
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

He’s probably Dr. Scorpion and concussion issues are his concern
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #34
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
He’s probably Dr. Scorpion and concussion issues are his concern
I genuinely have no idea what this means.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #35
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Benning has done a good job of turning an aging core with an outside chance of making the playoffs into a younger core with an outside chance of making the playoffs.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 05:28 AM   #36
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Owners are rewarding him for handing the Flames cap problems
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:36 AM   #37
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

As a flames fan this makes me happy.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #38
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I genuinely have no idea what this means.
How is 4 years too much term for a 27 year old?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:15 AM   #39
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourbestfriend View Post
Adding Miller, Myers, Ferland and Benn is going to make them a lot better moving forward. At most, they're overpaid by 1.0-1.5M combined, which is really a non issue. Add to their already pretty impressive young and dynamic core players, Vancouver is building something decent over there.
They missed the playoff's by 9 points and 3 wins last year. I don't know if they'll make it next year, but they'll definitely be in the fight for at least the wildcard spots. As much as we like to #### on Benning, he's done a decent job turning around that team.
Sure they missed by 9 points. But they were more like 15-16 points off the normal playoff bar; last year was just an anomaly. And they only got to 81 points on the back of having the most OT/SO wins in the entire league. Nearly 40% of their wins came after regulation.They were 29th in ROW and in the bottom 5 in virtually every EV statistic (27th in GF/GA, 27th in Shots F/A, 31st in Scoring Chances F/A).

In terms of goal differential the Canucks were about 40 goals off of being a reliable bubble team. Their goaltending was likely about as good as its going to get last year, so did they really add +40 goals to their lineup with their moves this summer? I don't see it.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
How is 4 years too much term for a 27 year old?
Because I'm not so convinced that Ferland will be good for long on a bad team with worse linemates. Last three years, he's played either with Gaudreau+Monahan or on an ECF team. I think that if he starts to decline (which happens earlier for power forwards, generally) he'll quickly be on the fourth line with Beagle or Sutter, and that could be an offensive death sentence.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post: