Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2021, 07:52 AM   #221
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

All I know is I don't want a "silent" leader who supposedly shows it in the room or by his worth ethic etc.

I think this team needs a vocal/give a #### meter level 200% leader who talks the talk but also walks the walk both mentally and physically.

Honestly as sad as it may seem I think Lucic would make a perfect captain from that perspective, the guy gave more ####s last season than the entire team combined, wasn't scared to call anyone out and gave it his all night after night.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 08:26 AM   #222
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
All I know is I don't want a "silent" leader who supposedly shows it in the room or by his worth ethic etc.

I think this team needs a vocal/give a #### meter level 200% leader who talks the talk but also walks the walk both mentally and physically.

Honestly as sad as it may seem I think Lucic would make a perfect captain from that perspective, the guy gave more ####s last season than the entire team combined, wasn't scared to call anyone out and gave it his all night after night.
While I don't disagree with the need for a vocal leader, I'd cringe every time Looch turns it over in our slot and say to myself "eeesh this is our captain" lol

Is Tanev a vocal guy?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:46 AM   #223
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Those big wins over Edmonton where he got Kassian off his game and lead to power plays that won the Flames those games. In 2018/19 that win was a launch pad game for their amazing season. The Flames were average but after that game went on a complete tear.
Your memory is off. They handily won the game in which he hit Kassian, which was on January 11, 2020, not in the 2018-19 season. The Flames then lost 3 of 4 games and IMO Kassian and the media were in his head until the next Oiler game on the 29th and he had to fight. The Flames did win that game in a shootout. But then they proceeded to lose 3 in a row, including an 8-3 rout by the Oilers the very next game. Then they played about .500 hockey until the play in.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #224
Dexter403
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post

Couldn't agree more. Lucic is the captain this team needs. Honorable mention to Tanev.
Dexter403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 AM   #225
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a horse in the race as in addition to play on the ice I feel you need to be in the locker room to really gauge what players offer the intangibles required to be a good captain. If I had to guess maybe Backlund.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #226
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those in favour of Lucic being Captain, I recall when it was announced that he was traded to Calgary that he was very relieved to be playing with a strong leader in Gio and he felt uncomfortable and pressured in Edmonton to having to “provide” leadership.

I think he prefers to fly under the radar and let his presence and leadership form organically rather than by appointment and expectations.
Timbo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #227
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Haven't looked at it at all but my memory is the opposite. That game was the downfall of Tkachuk and the Flames that season. I remember the media jumping all over Tkachuk and he was off his game for a while
You will have to check your memory. The game in November 2018 when Kassian snapped look at the Flames record after and look at the Oilers. The teams went in opposite directions.

We have heard Gulutzan, Peters, and Ward all describe how Tkachuk would drag his teammates into the battle. Until last season he was the clear cut guaranteed next captain of the team.

I get that last season caused many to pause those thoughts but I still feel like of the current group he is the only guy who makes sense to be captain.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #228
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
For those in favour of Lucic being Captain, I recall when it was announced that he was traded to Calgary that he was very relieved to be playing with a strong leader in Gio and he felt uncomfortable and pressured in Edmonton to having to “provide” leadership.

I think he prefers to fly under the radar and let his presence and leadership form organically rather than by appointment and expectations.
Good point. Although keep in mind at that time he was expected to lead a complete dumpster fire
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:13 AM   #229
Dexter403
Draft Pick

Quote:

Not something I remembered but very fair point. However the way he handled the end of the season becoming vocal and talking about mental toughness makes me think things may have changed for him. When he came to Calgary he was also silently considering retiring until he found new life playing with young linemates. I think it is fair to speculate that his views on leadership may have changed as well. Ultimately he is the only guy who knows but his words and actions on the ice lead me to believe he will take on some sort of leadership role regardless of a letter on his sweater.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #230
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You will have to check your memory. The game in November 2018 when Kassian snapped look at the Flames record after and look at the Oilers. The teams went in opposite directions.

We have heard Gulutzan, Peters, and Ward all describe how Tkachuk would drag his teammates into the battle. Until last season he was the clear cut guaranteed next captain of the team.

I get that last season caused many to pause those thoughts but I still feel like of the current group he is the only guy who makes sense to be captain.
The game you are thinking of was January 11 2020. There was a November 2018 game in which Draisaitl kept hitting a lot and then Tkachuk wouldn’t fight Kassian. But that wasn’t the famous game in which Kassian lost it.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 AM   #231
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter403 View Post
Not something I remembered but very fair point. However the way he handled the end of the season becoming vocal and talking about mental toughness makes me think things may have changed for him. When he came to Calgary he was also silently considering retiring until he found new life playing with young linemates. I think it is fair to speculate that his views on leadership may have changed as well. Ultimately he is the only guy who knows but his words and actions on the ice lead me to believe he will take on some sort of leadership role regardless of a letter on his sweater.
Yes entirely possible. I have no qualms in Lucic being Captain if he is 100% comfortable in the role and does not feel burdened by an official title.
Timbo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:20 AM   #232
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I think Lucic would be a great captain.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:22 AM   #233
Dexter403
Draft Pick

Quote:
Yes entirely possible. I have no qualms in Lucic being Captain if he is 100% comfortable in the role and does not feel burdened by an official title.
This situation reminds me of the movie Gladiator when Maximus told Marcus Aurelius he did not want to become the leader of Rome and Aurelius told him this is why it must be you.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:24 AM   #234
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it’s quite a different situation to be asked to provide leadership on a team where the other supposed leaders are McDavid, Draisaitl, Kassian, Nurse, etc versus being an actual captain on a team where there’s some leadership support in Lindholm, Backlund, Tanev, Monahan, etc.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:28 AM   #235
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd vote Looch but only if he actually wants the role.

Been a while since we've had a captain who was respected as having excellent face puncher skills... haha
Old 09-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #236
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looch will continue to be a leader even if he doesn't have a letter.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #237
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would give it to johnny or tkachuk with a contract extension and give them a shot to be the face of the franchise and uncontested leader.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #238
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Fine I’m back in. I cannot think of a single hockey game of importance that Tkachuk dragged his team through. Not a leader.
Did Giordano? Because he is known as great captain and didn't ever really drag the team to success in the playoffs or key games either. All of the Flames best players have had that problem.

Tkachuk needs to be better for sure, but he brings things that I want to see more of from the team. He hates losing, he gets emotionally involved in the game (which I think forces his teammates to), he defends his teammates when needed (in game and in the media). He just has a general GAF meter that is way higher than what we are used to seeing in this organization. Sure sometimes he needs to apply some more maturity to situations but he's young and will learn. And I still believe he's going to be a player that will score key goals and make big plays when it matters for this team.

Frankly I think the Flames need to move away from what has been the traditional captaincy model, and that's not disrespect to Giordano or even going back to Iginla who I think was the GOAT captain for this team. The Flames don't need nice guys that keep things comfortable anymore, its time to demand a little more. And if Tkachuk rubs the opposition the wrong way, you better join him instead of complaining that he needs to tone it down. It's time for a culture change.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:57 AM   #239
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would never tie captaincy to contract negotiations.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 09:58 AM   #240
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Sorry that isn't the game you mentioned in the post I replied to. Think your dates are off. Like someone else mentioned Flames did flounder after that game.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote