Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 01:05 PM   #8801
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Trump's crazy, weird attempts to stir up Jingoistic sentiments...what fresh hell is this?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323349998986166273

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:10 PM   #8802
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Yeah. I've lost a bunch of people in my life cause they're Trump supporters. It's not cause they're Trump supporters though. It turns out they're losing their minds and have changed from the people I knew to angry, miserable, gullible, mean dumb #$%@s. I can see cutting out the racists, ethnophobes, gay haters and religious kooks from your life. They may have always been there but they definitely kept it hidden better before Trump.

Yeah, I can’t see cutting out friends, family or celebrities from my life because they have radically different views if we can agree to disagree and not discuss it. I have several in that category. If their political views are representative of how they interact with the world, interact with people, etc. in negative ways then it’s those personal qualities that make me unfriend them.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #8803
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Yeah, I can’t see cutting out friends, family or celebrities from my life because they have radically different views if we can agree to disagree and not discuss it. I have several in that category. If their political views are representative of how they interact with the world, interact with people, etc. in negative ways then it’s those personal qualities that make me unfriend them.
EDIT: nah too far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:12 PM   #8804
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The algorithms are such that it serves you videos you want to see, not videos you should see to get a complete picture. It's a perpetuating fallacy - Facebook and Twitter are probably the two worst of them.

Social media is no small part of the descent into political chaos in the Western world.
This is true. More than that though, it's also in part that we enjoy receiving info that confirms our world views and because we're a social species we like to belong in our social groups and nobody likes to find themselves on the outside for expressing views that don't fit in.We need to actually choose to go listen to what sources from outside our bubbles are saying, but there are social and emotional forces that inhibit that too. How many actually take the time to go outside their bubble to listen in on other bubbles and bring that back to their social group for a discussion that isn't based on attacking outside views and reconfirming inside views?

Social media has exacerbated these issues terribly, but the problem arises out of something in us as well, not merely out of something in the algorithms.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #8805
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have complained when people throw the term troll around too easily, with anyone who has a differing opinion. On the other hand, it seems obvious to me that limbizkit and JRwhatever are trolls, and it’s surprising anyone is even bothering engaging with them.

I suspect both are related, and aren’t here just for honest debate and discussion.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #8806
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Trump and the GOP want to take away gay rights, women's rights, and voter rights. It's not fake news or an opinion it's actually the platform they are running on.

Forget all the other stuff that is enough isn't it?
Look I'm no Trump supporter, but this is pretty classic Whatabout-ism.

Someone mentions a possibly illegal and maybe corrupt deal that Hunter Biden might have been involved in, but never actually happened, and all you can say is "Well yeah, but the other side is actively trying to strip rights from millions of people, and not just admitting it, but actively campaigning on it"

God, open your eyes sheeple.

How many videos by white supremacists is it gonna take to convince you that Biden is way worse than Trump?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #8807
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
This is true. More than that though, it's also in part that we enjoy receiving info that confirms our world views and because we're a social species we like to belong in our social groups and nobody likes to find themselves on the outside for expressing views that don't fit in.We need to actually choose to go listen to what sources from outside our bubbles are saying, but there are social and emotional forces that inhibit that too. How many actually take the time to go outside their bubble to listen in on other bubbles and bring that back to their social group for a discussion that isn't based on attacking outside views and reconfirming inside views?

Social media has exacerbated these issues terribly, but the problem arises out of something in us as well, not merely out of something in the algorithms.
Absolutely. At the end of the day, we need to be strategic, intelligent, and rational enough to deduce what is correct and what is wrong. Too often our initial thoughts are whimsically influenced without critical thinking, such as performing root cause analysis. Maybe it's too difficult, or maybe it's too inconvenient. Either way, people have become far too hastily judicial in what they see and hear.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #8808
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
I have complained when people throw the term troll around too easily, with anyone who has a differing opinion. On the other hand, it seems obvious to me that limbizkit and JRwhatever are trolls, and it’s surprising anyone is even bothering engaging with them.

I suspect both are related, and aren’t here just for honest debate and discussion.
Responding to trolls is still a good thing.

No, you're not going to change the troll's mind. That's not the point of the response. You respond to the troll so others reading see the flaws and lack of reasoning presented by the troll.

If we ignore the troll, it gives credence to their argument in the sense that someone passively reading would think "that makes sense". Often a troll's argument does make sense, as it leaves out anything contradictory or any evidence to disprove.

Therefore, your response isn't to convince the troll that they're wrong, but to show them for the sheep in wolf's clothing that they are.

This scene from the fantastic movie Thank You For Smoking explains the theory:

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #8809
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Speaking of Trump's crazy, weird attempts to stir up Jingoistic sentiments...what fresh hell is this?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1323349998986166273
I read as much as I could before my brain melted.

Seriously, what in the hell is that? It's so ####ing crazy. I have no words.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #8810
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
As ever, the Republicans will need to move to the middle on many issues to get back to an even playing-field with the Democratic plurality.

As we've seen even in Canada, however, right-wing parties have difficulty jettisoning the crazies who tend to be their most fervent supporters, and who hold large grassroots organizational and fundraising power.

Many Republicans and undecideds are going to want the GOP to swerve to the middle if they get destroyed in this election. But if it's a struggle even for Canadian conservatives to drop the culture-war dinosaurs, it's going to be a very long road for GOP strategists who favour moving toward a middle ground.

Then again, the GOP doesn't play by any rules, so who knows what they'll come up with. Trump wins again, and I have no idea what we get.

The problem is that the GOP has a collection of hardline views - religious freedom, second amendment, taxes, abortion, immigration, nationalism, (unstated racism) - the intersection of them is a finite Venn diagram. To expand they will need to let one or more of them go. They could for example appeal to conservative immigrants if they softened their immigration rhetoric. Until then they are trapped IMO like the way the CPC here is hobbled by the social conservative faction, but it’s many more such dimensions for the GOP.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #8811
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
... limbizkit ...
Well, that made me laugh.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #8812
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Friends can absolutely agree to disagree about what toppings they like on pizza or what movies, music, and tv shows they enjoy. In the political realm, friends can have reasonable and polite disagreements about taxation policy or which of free trade vs. protectionism is better for jobs and the economy or whether private schools should receive the same per-student funding as public schools.

If a friend of mine ever insisted that LGBT people are abominations or considered it acceptable that refugee children are being torn away from their parents and thrown in cages or claimed that a (((global cabal))) is engaged in a vast international conspiracy to control the banking industry for unstated nefarious reasons, then I absolutely would cut them out of my life without hesitation. Issues like those aren't a difference of opinion; they're a difference of morality.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:26 PM   #8813
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Friends can absolutely agree to disagree about what toppings they like on pizza or what movies, music, and tv shows they enjoy. In the political realm, friends can have reasonable and polite disagreements about taxation policy or which of free trade vs. protectionism is better for jobs and the economy or whether private schools should receive the same per-student funding as public schools.

If a friend of mine ever insisted that LGBT people are abominations or considered it acceptable that refugee children are being torn away from their parents and thrown in cages or claimed that a (((global cabal))) is engaged in a vast international conspiracy to control the banking industry for unstated nefarious reasons, then I absolutely would cut them out of my life without hesitation. Issues like those aren't a difference of opinion; they're a difference of morality.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #8814
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by Wastedyouth; 11-02-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #8815
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Democrats breathe a sigh of relief as the federal judge in Texas rules that Texas Republicans 'lack standing' to challenge 130,000 ballots cast curb-side in a heavily Democratic district. This was a ruling that should have been obvious, but there was some concern that the judge was such a heavy partisan that he might have ruled in favour of the Republicans.

Edit: worth mentioning that this will almost certainly be appealed up the ladder, and the judge has ordered that all memory cards with these votes be kept separate in case a higher court rules differently. As in Pennsylvania, the most important thing is that potentially-disputed ballots be kept separate so that if a higher court finds against the eligibility of the votes, it doesn't taint the whole pool and open the door for Republicans to invalidate the whole state results and implement their own EVC slate.

Last edited by octothorp; 11-02-2020 at 01:38 PM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #8816
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a cousin in Florida who quotes bible verses and twists their meanings so they prophesies the election of Trump and legitimise his actions.

My Uncle (his Dad) was very special to me and in the past, while acknowledging my cousin was a bit 'out there', we had some great times in the past.

But he became so relentless and irrational on Facebook - to the extent my friends were wondering wtf was going on and how was I connected to this guy, I cut him out of my life.

It was not an easy decision and I procrastinated over it for too long, making the mistake of trying to reason with him. A couple of years later, I checked out some of his online activity with the result being that any doubts I did the wrong thing have completely dissipated.
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #8817
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Democrats breathe a sigh of relief as the federal judge in Texas rules that Texas Republicans 'lack standing' to challenge 130,000 ballots cast curb-side in a heavily Democratic district. This was a ruling that should have been obvious, but there was some concern that the judge was such a heavy partisan that he might have ruled in favour of the Republicans.
Appeal coming, no doubt.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #8818
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Did bizkitgto post racist videos as well? I only saw JR449 post the video from a nazi supporter.

bizkitgto's stuff seemed to be run-of-the-mill misinformation and poorly reasoned arguments (and a whole lot of playing the victim) from someone who didn't know what they were talking about and didn't have the capacity to back it up.

I know the two went around thanking each other's posts, but I think JR449 was the only one promoting anything close to a racist or nazi.

I was more referring to promoting and thanking ideas backed by those videos. I realize it was JR449 that posted the videos, I may have mixed up who was saying what though.
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2020, 01:45 PM   #8819
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post

Edit: worth mentioning that this will almost certainly be appealed up the ladder, and the judge has ordered that all memory cards with these votes be kept separate in case a higher court rules differently. As in Pennsylvania, the most important thing is that potentially-disputed ballots be kept separate so that if a higher court finds against the eligibility of the votes, it doesn't taint the whole pool and open the door for Republicans to invalidate the whole state results and implement their own EVC slate.
But what about Biden's memory cards?
Old 11-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #8820
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post

Agreed.

But what do you do if they're your brother? Serious question. I have this issue currently.
Closed Thread