Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2019, 05:41 PM   #81
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Aeneas our European traveller says Europeans view shorts as the province of children and idiots.

I wonder how this works during their 40 C summer.
Its the British element. He will suffer in pants (he calls them 'trousers') before lowering himself to the depths of wearing 'short pants.'

Some of us more dignified gentlemen understand comfort to be more important.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #82
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

The earlier comment about shorts looking like baby clothes cracked me up though. I’ve often walked down the street thinking I got everything worked out, only to look in a window and think “Jesus, I look like I’m literally wearing baby clothes...”
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #83
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a little jealous that I don't get to wear shorts to work pretty much ever.

Chino shorts and boat shoes are a great pairing. Light colored shorts, chinos, I love pairing with these, although it was a bitch to get them since they don't sell them on the Canadian Sperry site. The Canadian site has a ton of good options, I'm just a picky bastard and really wanted them in nubuck. Presumably you're not as fussy as I am, so the good news here is with some clever pairing, you can pull off a lot of looks with various tans, blues, and greys in a boat shoe.

Another look is same as the above, but with loafers if you want to class up the look a little. I have a pair of Goodyear welted horse-bit loafers in chocolate brown (same brand and almost identical to this pair, but with burnishing front and rear) that I like pairing with lighter pants or shorts. If I'm wearing them to the office, then pants and regular calf socks it is. If I'm wearing them with chino shorts, then I'll wear no-show socks, and I promise you can find them cheaper than that, but these were just the best example since Amazon surprisingly wasn't great on first look.

Up until recently, all my nicer shoes required dark, dressier denim as a bare-minimum starting point, and my more casual looks were paired with sneakers or other plain ol' casual type shoes. But I've added pairs now that can be dressed down to a more contemporary European style if you play it right. Light brown whole-cuts, loafers, single monk straps, etc. are great candidates to be dressed down with class and style. As with pretty much any style advice, your mileage may vary.

Quote:
Aeneas our European traveller says Europeans view shorts as the province of children and idiots.

Europe is comprised of 44 countries, I think the statement says a lot more about the preference of your traveler friend than it does the opinions of Europeans as a whole. Go to Italy sometime and it'll be patently obvious that his statement falls flat on its face there. Many of my own style preferences are informed by Italian fashion.

Although they would not wear shorts to work, that said.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-20-2019 at 06:19 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #84
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post

Chino shorts and boat shoes are a great pairing. Light colored shorts, chinos, I love pairing with these, although it was a bitch to get them since they don't sell them on the Canadian Sperry site. The Canadian site has a ton of good options, I'm just a picky bastard and really wanted them in nubuck. Presumably you're not as fussy as I am, so the good news here is with some clever pairing, you can pull off a lot of looks with various tans, blues, and greys in a boat shoe.

Another look is same as the above, but with loafers if you want to class up the look a little. I have a pair of Goodyear welted horse-bit loafers in chocolate brown (same brand and almost identical to this pair, but with burnishing front and rear) that I like pairing with lighter pants or shorts. If I'm wearing them to the office, then pants and regular calf socks it is. If I'm wearing them with chino shorts, then I'll wear no-show socks, and I promise you can find them cheaper than that, but these were just the best example since Amazon surprisingly wasn't great on first look.

Up until recently, all my nicer shoes required dark, dressier denim as a bare-minimum starting point. But I've added pairs now that can be dressed down to a more contemporary European style if you play it right. Light brown whole-cuts, loafers, single monk straps, etc. are great candidates to be dressed down with class and style. As with pretty much any style advice, your mileage may vary.
You could always come to the dark side....we always wear shorts and usually sandals...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:09 PM   #85
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'll be living in Barcelona for the next three months. I'll let everyone know how my 3 slim black raw denim jeans treat me (I suspect not well).
I've decided to bring a pair of shorts or two as well.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #86
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
A gentleman doesn't wear shorts ever unless for a specific activity, Tennis, Association Football or Rugby Union, if you have fallen to these depths don't worry about the shoes
What a dumb comment.

The next big trend is going to be people walking around with big sweaty ass stains. But hey the pants look great.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #87
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I'll be living in Barcelona for the next three months. I'll let everyone know how my 3 slim black raw denim jeans treat me (I suspect not well).
I've decided to bring a pair of shorts or two as well.
I don't know, judging by the amount of European accents you hear out of tourist's mouths down in Hollywood wearing shorts, they certainly don't practice what they preach when they're on vacation.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #88
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I'm a terrible gay, as I only wear sneakers. (I get chirped about this often from both sides)

With shorts, I echo the Stan Smith, but on the adidas side, I'd even go to the classic Gazelle - why? if you are doing shorts, please do suede sneakers, and yes with the low-cut socks. The white laces and stripe contrast works so well with everything. Maybe a pair in blue or black?

Also, I would invest in a slimmer short - they don't have to be nut-huggers, as is coming on trend right now, but even popping into Topman in the Bay for some of their knee-length slim stretch shorts would be good. I find that if you go with sneakers and the baggy-ass shorts, you'll look a bit slobbish, but if you can tighten up the shorts game, stay comfortable and hook yourself up with a few different colours of sneaker, you'll be golden.
(I just got a pair of light blue Topman shorts, and they've gone to the top of my rotation - super affordable too, let's hope the quality isn't crap)

Sorry if this was covered - I pretty much read the first page and skipped to my reply.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 08-20-2019 at 06:51 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:49 PM   #89
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I find the hate against cargo shorts hilarious. They're pretty much all I wear in the summer. Granted, a lot of that is outdoorsy stuff, so the pockets actually come in handy. Wear what you want. I get not wanting to look like a slob, but the people who will instantly judge based on a particular type of clothing are people whose opinions I don't give a rip about.

On topic, I wear cargo shorts to the office on days it's over 80F with a nice fitted polo and I'd hazard a guess that that's less casual than about half the office (many do jeans and a t-shirt). Software company too if it matters.
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 PM   #90
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Up until recently, all my nicer shoes required dark, dressier denim as a bare-minimum starting point, and my more casual looks were paired with sneakers or other plain ol' casual type shoes. But I've added pairs now that can be dressed down to a more contemporary European style if you play it right. Light brown whole-cuts, loafers, single monk straps, etc. are great candidates to be dressed down with class and style. As with pretty much any style advice, your mileage may vary.

Europe is comprised of 44 countries, I think the statement says a lot more about the preference of your traveler friend than it does the opinions of Europeans as a whole. Go to Italy sometime and it'll be patently obvious that his statement falls flat on its face there. Many of my own style preferences are informed by Italian fashion.

Although they would not wear shorts to work, that said.
My understanding is that the rest of Europe considers the Italians to be the idiots.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:19 PM   #91
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Today I learnt there are people out there making wholecuts a casual item. This astounds me.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:40 PM   #92
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
My understanding is that the rest of Europe considers the Italians to be the idiots.
Italian brands in fashion and design tend to be renowned the world over, so I don't really think they care. They could do with being better automotive mechanics and electricians when it comes to their cars catching fire or randomly losing all power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Today I learnt there are people out there making wholecuts a casual item. This astounds me.
I guess that depends what you're picturing when you think 'casual'. But these, of which I have a pair, work brilliantly with medium and light chinos, dark denim. Throw on a matching belt and watch strap, and it works.

Just don't try it with black wholecuts, IMHO. Way too dressy. You might as well try to dress down black patent leather.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #93
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I find the hate against cargo shorts hilarious. They're pretty much all I wear in the summer. Granted, a lot of that is outdoorsy stuff, so the pockets actually come in handy. Wear what you want. I get not wanting to look like a slob, but the people who will instantly judge based on a particular type of clothing are people whose opinions I don't give a rip about.

On topic, I wear cargo shorts to the office on days it's over 80F with a nice fitted polo and I'd hazard a guess that that's less casual than about half the office (many do jeans and a t-shirt). Software company too if it matters.
That’s all well and good but when someone asks for what goes with a certain item, or what “works,” then proper advice is given, as it should be. Like it or not, there are things that are culturally defined as fashionable or unfashionable, things that are appropriate in an professional environment and things that aren’t.

If you want to go around wearing cargo shorts and don’t care what anyone thinks, go wild. Live your best life. But “wear what you want” is bad advice for anyone that is actually looking for any sort of fashion advice or wants to look like what anyone would consider “good.”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:29 PM   #94
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m surprised at the vitriol towards shorts. I’d wear them every day if I could. In fact my first two months in Australia were spent exclusively in shorts and it was just the best. I do value comfort over style though and have amazing calfs.

My work dress code is officially semi smart business causal which I learned is just a fancy way to say dress shirt, trousers, and dress shoes. I wish I could wear shorts or even short sleeves when it’s 35 and humid.

To answer the OP I’d go with tailored shorts, ankle socks, and simple non flashy running shoes.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #95
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

OP, get some Nike SB shoes and low socks. Slim fit short sleeve button down shirts. Treat going to work like going to a patio in the summer. I also confess to boat shoes with no socks. Rockport makes washable shoes.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:49 PM   #96
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If that guy did up two more buttons, that'd pretty much be my go to "hot summer day" uniform.

I don't get the "don't wear shorts, but if you have to" line at all. Like all clothes, shorts work for some people and don't for others. But they're a hell of a lot cooler than jeans, and practicality counts for something. Shoes I wear with shorts, from most common to least common:
So basically, you're looking at deck shoes and low top casual leather sneakers, in various non-loud colours - white and grey are generally the best bets, followed by blue.
lol is the guy with the Porsche avatar recommending $650 sneakers? Gotta be some kind of a sucker paying that for CPs these days. They were under $250 at one point, it wasn't even that long ago. Whenever I see someone wearing them these days, it's usually some uncomfortable tech bro/lawyer type who was dressed by the internet. Save your money and buy Stans, Rod Lavers, 70s Chucks, Vans, etc, much cooler.

Margiela GATs are cool, but only the paint splatter ones. Boat shoes are horrible, unless you're on a boat in New England and a maybe a Kennedy, but even then...
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #97
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't recommending he buy them, just saying the types of things I wear with shorts... whatever floats your boat; I don't understand people who have ten pairs of limited edition Jordans, but to each their own. I've actually never paid full retail for CPs, but yeah, trying to find good alternatives is what led me to get a couple pairs of garment projects. So far so good on that front. As I said, W+H is better than either and you can often find them on sale (not that that makes them cheap, but $200 is better than $450).

I currently only have painted GATs. I used to have plain ones and honestly I wore them more than the painted ones.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:03 PM   #98
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Italian brands in fashion and design tend to be renowned the world over, so I don't really think they care. They could do with being better automotive mechanics and electricians when it comes to their cars catching fire or randomly losing all power.I guess that depends what you're picturing when you think 'casual'. But these, of which I have a pair, work brilliantly with medium and light chinos, dark denim. Throw on a matching belt and watch strap, and it works.

Just don't try it with black wholecuts, IMHO. Way too dressy. You might as well try to dress down black patent leather.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on both counts. I think a whole it like yours looks out of place with anything but a suit. But I also don’t think oxfords should be worn with jeans, which apparently is a bit prudish nowadays.

As for Italian brands, thwor footwear tends to leave an awful lot to be desired, at ridiculous price points. $600 for a cemented pair of Ferragamos? Or Ron Whites, cause they’re ‘made in Italy’...Blake or cemented by Chinese mind you.

Don’t mean to criticize your particular style, not my intention, anyone with their thing is better than just doing nothing. Those shoes are legit though.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:39 PM   #99
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
We’ll have to agree to disagree on both counts. I think a whole it like yours looks out of place with anything but a suit. But I also don’t think oxfords should be worn with jeans, which apparently is a bit prudish nowadays.

As for Italian brands, thwor footwear tends to leave an awful lot to be desired, at ridiculous price points. $600 for a cemented pair of Ferragamos? Or Ron Whites, cause they’re ‘made in Italy’...Blake or cemented by Chinese mind you.

Don’t mean to criticize your particular style, not my intention, anyone with their thing is better than just doing nothing. Those shoes are legit though.
We’re more alike than you think. I own exactly two pairs of cemented shoes, and those are I) Prada saffiano double monks which were a gift, and II) a pair of Nordstrom Men’s Shop patent leathers for black tie which were cheap and only get worn once a year or so. Everything else in my shoe closet are full leather construction (with two pairs of cordovan Aldens). 8/10 pairs are Goodyear welted, two pairs are Blake stitched but I found the finishing was still pretty high and the fit was spot on. But, for me, style must come alongside craftsmanship, not at the cost of.

No offense taken. It’s my style, it works for me. Style is subjective anyway, some people buy those weird bubble platform sneakers now, I don’t and will never understand the appeal. But I think a little evolution of style over time is how men’s fashion progresses. We mercifully aren’t subjected to the revolutionary changes year to year, season to season, that women’s fashions go through. I get to hear all about it from my wife.

Edit: One more thing to add regarding wearing nicer shoes with denim, I don’t always see it necessarily as dressing down a shoe so much as I see it trying to dress up denim, which I think is a great idea. A little casual meets classy.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-21-2019 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:48 PM   #100
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferragamo Tramezzas used to be really good. Not sure these days. Quality aside, I just find a lot of Italians too aggressively styled. Not that that's unique to Italy by any means, I had the same issue with Vass and some John Lobb. Aldens work for me.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote