Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2022, 11:24 AM   #4921
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
So my yard isn't anything close to level. And the back corner of the house the yard is actually sloped toward the house, not away.

To fix the sloping issue, especially at the corner of the house, would basic top soil be all I need? Anything special?
Tamp down every few inches of thickness or it'll end up settling below your final height as gravity does it for you.

Last edited by topfiverecords; 06-04-2022 at 11:26 AM.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #4922
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I need the eavestrough replaced along one side of my house. 50' straight piece.

Was quoted $2300 + HST.

Seems extremely high to me ... but I've got no reference. Does this seem reasonable?

How hard is it to order a custom length and replace myself? (average handy-level)
Old 06-08-2022, 11:46 AM   #4923
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call Gutter Doctor.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #4924
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post

Was quoted $2300 + HST.

Seems extremely high to me ... but I've got no reference. Does this seem reasonable?

How hard is it to order a custom length and replace myself? (average handy-level)
Agreed, that seems super high. I did my entire bungalow and detached garage for $1700 in 2010. Obviously a long time ago, but you're talking about 25% of what I did for $600 more.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:17 PM   #4925
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Was quoted $2300 + HST.

$2300 sounds stupid high. You should be able to do a whole house for that price. For a section of a single side of a house, I seem to recall being told it shouldn't be much more than a few hundred bucks.

Hard to do yourself purely because of the physics of an awkward shaped wobbling piece. You'd want a helper and you'd probably want to rent something like a scissor lift rather than mess around with ladders or building a rolling scaffold?

DIY wise, shouldn't be too bad, albeit, I don't actually believe you'd order a single 50' piece. You'd break it down into sections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Call Gutter Doctor.
Since he mentioned HST, I assume that poster is not local.

Last edited by DoubleF; 06-08-2022 at 12:19 PM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #4926
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Was quoted $2300 + HST.

For reference I paid about $2,300+GST six years ago for 90 ft of eavestrough, two downspouts, complete replacement of the fascia boards (1"x6" x ~175 ft) and aluminum trim over the fascia boards. The same price for about half the length of eavestrough and none of the other work, even factoring for inflation since 2016, still seems like a lot...

That said it's very hard to do yourself, you'd need at least one extra pair of hands.

I'd continue shopping around.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 01:18 PM   #4927
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Since he mentioned HST, I assume that poster is not local.
Doh! Yeah, look for a company that does just eaves repair. They're going to be waaay cheaper.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:00 PM   #4928
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know where to buy LVL beams? Looking for 16' and 24'.

Making a few calls but no luck, either do not sell or it's a special/custom order.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #4929
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Does anyone know where to buy LVL beams? Looking for 16' and 24'.

Making a few calls but no luck, either do not sell or it's a special/custom order.
I think ours came from Dick's Lumber
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:34 PM   #4930
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm looking for recommendations for a kitchen design+general contractor for a full (non-structural) reno. Everything but the walls goes! Or anti-recommendations, if you want to warn me off anyone (via PM to keep CP from getting sued)!

I'm too old to do this labor myself but I generally know what's what with construction and I really value transparency in a contractor.

Thanks, brain trust!
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 01:10 PM   #4931
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for a kitchen design+general contractor for a full (non-structural) reno. Everything but the walls goes! Or anti-recommendations, if you want to warn me off anyone (via PM to keep CP from getting sued)!

I'm too old to do this labor myself but I generally know what's what with construction and I really value transparency in a contractor.

Thanks, brain trust!
PM'd
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:02 PM   #4932
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryhun View Post
PM'd
PM me too! Not likely pulling the trigger on this anytime soon but thinking of costing this out at least for next year. Thanks
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #4933
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post

Thanks, brain trust!
One thing I'll mention about kitchens... In all honesty, the cost to refurbish an old kitchen (ie: Cabinets) isn't worth it if paying someone else to do it for you. You're probably better off replacing than refurbing.

In my situation, I think the ending price difference was only like 20-30% more vs my original expectation that it would cost like half to 1/3 the cost of new. But in that price point difference, a new cabinet would look nicer, could be a better layout/size, looks new and modern, has upgraded options like soft close and also would take like 1/2 the time to do and install, even with the potential several weeks to month manufacturing wait.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:32 PM   #4934
hungryhun
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
PM me too! Not likely pulling the trigger on this anytime soon but thinking of costing this out at least for next year. Thanks
PM'd
hungryhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #4935
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So after the recent storm, some of the eaves in our house seems plugged.
Can you recommend a gutter cleaning/unplugging service? or is gutter doctor the safest way to go?
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:20 AM   #4936
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Yes use cheap top soil. Nothing with compost as compost disintegrates and then you'll have to fill some more.

Often called "loam".

https://www.barkmulchdepot.ca/catego.../screened-loam
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Tamp down every few inches of thickness or it'll end up settling below your final height as gravity does it for you.
Just passing along some thanks. It took WAY more soil than I anticipated but after some major rainfall the other day, basement was bone dry and there was no pooling of water by the house.

I did use the concrete crack repair I the basement, as well.

It's a big relief having the issue fixed.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 09:12 AM   #4937
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone installed attic vents & have any recommendations on the type of vent or system to try to bring the overall heat in their home down in the summer? We have an AC unit and it seems to need to kick on to keep the house anywhere near the setpoint, even when it's not as hot as that outside (and if we open windows to get some airflow overnight or in the morning, etc). House is south-facing and those rooms do get hotter than the rest, also considering tinting those and/or replacing them with new/better windows.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #4938
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any recommendation for an alternative to using a parge coat on the foundation between our stucco and the soil. We have a very old 1948 home and are looking to update the exterior. The parge is all falling off and we are looking for something that will last about a decade before we knock it down and build. Don't want to go too crazy doing ornamental stone etc.

Any companies that do this? Thanks ahead of time.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #4939
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just... re-do the parging...?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #4940
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Just... re-do the parging...?
That certainly is an option - the quote we got was expensive (over $2K) for what I felt would have been a quick 1 day job max.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote