Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2022, 03:03 PM   #4521
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am not sure if this question belongs in this thread or not but here goes. Looking at replacing my hot water tank in the house and seeing if there are any rebates for going with an energy efficient model. I know there was some options a few years ago in Alberta but can't seem to find anything now. Anything at the federal level?

I am debating on if the financial sense of upgrading the water heater to an energy star complaint model is worth the additional costs. I do find sometimes that certain energy efficient technologies like furnaces for example don't justify the added expense. Personal and unpopular opinion I know, but a lot of the higher level tech will usually result in a lot more maintenance or expensive repairs for electronic components compared to a basic or even older model.

I always like doing a basic dive into the overall costs to see what makes more sense.

Thanks!
More info on the federal grant is here: https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy-effic...ofits/23443#G3

For water heaters it looks like a heat pump water heater is eligible
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #4522
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't waste your time with electric water heaters, even the heat pump type. The cost of electricity is 5x higher than gas; it's silly to buy an electric one, no matter what the rebate is you'll always end up upside-down when you factor in the ongoing cost of energy.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2022, 08:54 AM   #4523
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone please recommend a reputable refrigerator repair company or individual? Thank you.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 04:47 PM   #4524
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC in LAX View Post
Can someone please recommend a reputable refrigerator repair company or individual? Thank you.

https://www.fourseasonsappliances.ca/

I have used the owner of the business, Abbas, for years in for my personal and rental business. Always honest, professional and well priced in my opinion.

Sometimes he will tell you straight up that it isn't worth fixing or repairing over the phone. I personally find he is better at responding via a phone call and voicemail than text and email but that's just me.

Good luck
curves2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2022, 07:28 PM   #4525
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
https://www.fourseasonsappliances.ca/

I have used the owner of the business, Abbas, for years in for my personal and rental business. Always honest, professional and well priced in my opinion.

Sometimes he will tell you straight up that it isn't worth fixing or repairing over the phone. I personally find he is better at responding via a phone call and voicemail than text and email but that's just me.

Good luck

Thank you

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:30 AM   #4526
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Don't waste your time with electric water heaters, even the heat pump type. The cost of electricity is 5x higher than gas; it's silly to buy an electric one, no matter what the rebate is you'll always end up upside-down when you factor in the ongoing cost of energy.
Plus your electricity in Alberta is coming from...Natural Gas.

Unless you're aiming to power it with solar panels it's probably not worth it in Alberta unfortunately.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:49 AM   #4527
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking for ideas on materials here.... my finished basement has one of these for the kids hanging from the ceiling bolted into a stud:

Predictably - the kids are pushing (kicking) off of the closest wall on the swing. Naturally, it's right on a seam in the drywall so it's starting to crack.

I was trying to think of a sheet of something that is:

- not too ugly aesthetically (paintable or clear)
- reasonably smooth
- stiff enough so as to distribute the force of their legs pushing off the wall.

I was thinking a sheet of acrylic maybe? Thicker sheets are pretty expensive.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 11:52 AM   #4528
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some spikes on the wall?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #4529
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm looking for ideas on materials here.... my finished basement has one of these for the kids hanging from the ceiling bolted into a stud:

Predictably - the kids are pushing (kicking) off of the closest wall on the swing. Naturally, it's right on a seam in the drywall so it's starting to crack.

- reasonably smooth
- stiff enough so as to distribute the force of their legs pushing off the wall.

If you google Home Depot wall panels there are some expensive panels there. Keep looking and you will find some more reasonably priced options that are paintable.

Would be my suggestion.
Old 02-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #4530
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Some spikes on the wall?
The poster hates Hulse, not kids.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #4531
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Puckboard, you can get it at Rona for sure, cheap strong and durable.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 01:49 AM   #4532
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

- reasonably smooth

I'll give you a few wrong answers.

1. If materials are too expensive, those clear mats for office chairs might work. (Sorta like acrylic)
2. Wood or plastic pallets screwed to the wall are a better item to kick off of (May need to sand down rough edges)
3. Put up a curtain. (Out of sight, out of mind).
4. Let it be. (But tell the kids they'll be learning how to put up drywall as a summer project if they break the wall).

DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:24 AM   #4533
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had my electrical panel replaced this week, I have mixed feelings about shelling out the $$$ for a project that doesn't really improve the value of the house. On the flipside, one less way for the house to burn down. Old panel was 60 years old, had a sub panel, and the electrician found some sketchy stuff from a previous reno. All in all, it is nicely tidied up and the next step is to move the service to the detached garage, add another 100 amp panel there and I am ready for hot tub / car charger / AC.

I have to say, much like most of my projects, I put them off forever because I have a number in my head of what it would cost (with no real basis) so I wait until we have a bunch of free cash. Then I get quotes and it is like half of what I was expecting. I am an idiot.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #4534
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Had my electrical panel replaced this week, I have mixed feelings about shelling out the $$$ for a project that doesn't really improve the value of the house. On the flipside, one less way for the house to burn down. Old panel was 60 years old, had a sub panel, and the electrician found some sketchy stuff from a previous reno. All in all, it is nicely tidied up and the next step is to move the service to the detached garage, add another 100 amp panel there and I am ready for hot tub / car charger / AC.

I have to say, much like most of my projects, I put them off forever because I have a number in my head of what it would cost (with no real basis) so I wait until we have a bunch of free cash. Then I get quotes and it is like half of what I was expecting. I am an idiot.
I will say that a new panel vs the super old ones are pretty. So there's that.

I think the other aspect about refusing to do the projects is also the fact I always grew up with a cash down mentality. I've started opening up to a 6-12 month financing concept and breaking down the idea of interest to something like a $50-100 "convenience fee" to get it done earlier and realizing there's so many interest deferral and some other discounts/subsidies that help to off set it.

I have been thinking about doing a bigger reno this summer than previously intended in my home for creature comforts and whatnot. I'd also be eating the "minor" interest to get it done and bypass the typical song and dance about finances (ie: If with interest, it's still below budget, it's still below budget"). It kinda feels good and is exciting.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #4535
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post

Do you mind me asking how much this cost? Our electrical panel is a mess (over 50% of the breakers are labeled "general") and it would be great to see if there was some questionable stuff done.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:08 PM   #4536
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Do you mind me asking how much this cost? Our electrical panel is a mess (over 50% of the breakers are labeled "general") and it would be great to see if there was some questionable stuff done.
I was chatting with a guy who quoted $3500 to move an electrical panel a few feet. I don't know if that's perfectly on par with swapping a panel/re-testing and re-labeling everything though. I honestly would mentally budget a max ish of $5K? But it's perhaps best to hear real numbers first.
Old 02-09-2022, 01:16 PM   #4537
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking for someone to bore two 1" holes through my foundation (8" thick). It's not worth getting any of the concrete companies who would charge way more than the $55 I can rent the rotary hammer for... Does anyone know a handyman/contractor who might have the tools and time (NW near crowfoot)? PM if so.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 02:14 PM   #4538
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
We had ours done recently as well as part of a complete reno. Bill was $3500 and that included permit, enmax disconnect/reconnect as well as some temporary construction lighting.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #4539
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
$2400 + another $400 to move my ground to the water service inlet per the new code requirement. Fully labelled out, super tidy.

Edit: oh and $176 for the permit. I didn't need Enmax to disconnect because I weirdly already have a service disconnect inside the house

Last edited by InglewoodFan; 02-09-2022 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Added permit
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 03:43 PM   #4540
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I heard there is an electrical code book out there designed for homeowners. It's a guide to explain residential electrical systems if someone wanted to do some wiring and such by themselves, but still do it right.

Anyone heard of said book, and if it exists where do I get it?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote