Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2017, 03:39 PM   #301
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
The NHL wants Connor McDavid to succeed in his prime years and will want to cash in on the story ... make no mistake about it - if they don't figure it out themselves, the Oilers will be shown how to get out of any cap troubles they face so they can ice a contending team. Your crazy if you think the league doesn't want to make as much money as possible from McD - and that require him to be showcased in the stanley cup finals as much as possible. Sad but true.
You're projecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #302
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
The NHL wants Connor McDavid to succeed in his prime years and will want to cash in on the story ... make no mistake about it - if they don't figure it out themselves, the Oilers will be shown how to get out of any cap troubles they face so they can ice a contending team. Your crazy if you think the league doesn't want to make as much money as possible from McD - and that require him to be showcased in the stanley cup finals as much as possible. Sad but true.

If the NHL wanted to make as much money from Connor, they would have grabbed Edmonton's ping pong ball. Yelled "Nope" and slapped a Toronto or New York Ranger sticker on it and slam dunked it back into the machine in a Darrly Dawkins like manner

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #303
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
They just picked up Drouin and they already have Pacioretty. A line of Drouin-Draisaitl-Pacioretty could be an elite #1 line that would help an offense starved team become a more serious threat.
They also have to re-sign Radulov.

Drouin is still a 2nd line LW now (and Pacioretty is also a LW). So you'd be more likely to have Patch / Drai / Radulov and Drouin / Galch / ???

They also need to save some cap space for Price.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #304
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only is the McDavid salary a lot, it pulls Draisaitl's right up along with it. Paying two guys as elite players when only one of them is actually elite. The real value Edmonton commits to #97 won't be known until Draisatl's contract numbers are known. Anything north of 7 per season you can attribute directly to Connor McDavid.
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:47 PM   #305
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

Drouin is still a 2nd line LW now (and Pacioretty is also a LW). So you'd be more likely to have Patch / Drai / Radulov and Drouin / Galch / ???

Unless, as rumoured, Price simply wants out. Then they are in rebuild mode with Draisaitl as the centrepiece.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #306
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They don't HAVE to re-sign Radulov. They might, but considering what he's looking for, Montreal might not be his final destination.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:49 PM   #307
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
McDavid: 13.25
Draisaitl: 9
Russell: 4
Lucic 7

= 47.4% of the cap dedicated to 4 players.
and two of them suck
Old 06-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #308
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Honestly, I don't expect anyone to offer-sheet Draisaitl.
The threat of an offer sheet gets him paid though...Oilers could probably get it done now at 8M....which is crazy for a player with one good season
Old 06-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #309
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:17 PM   #310
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my understanding of offer sheets is that a team has to send back draft picks, they must be the teams own draft picks (not traded for), and they must occur in the draft years immediately following the offer sheet. So there are teams that will not be able to put out an offer sheet even if they wanted to if they do not have the required draft picks to send back. Or at least that is my understanding of how an offer sheet works. Combine that with a team's cap situation and I have to think there are not many teams in a position to offer one to Draisaitl.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #311
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default McDavid signs extension: 8 years, 13.25M per.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
So my understanding of offer sheets is that a team has to send back draft picks, they must be the teams own draft picks (not traded for), and they must occur in the draft years immediately following the offer sheet. So there are teams that will not be able to put out an offer sheet even if they wanted to if they do not have the required draft picks to send back. Or at least that is my understanding of how an offer sheet works. Combine that with a team's cap situation and I have to think there are not many teams in a position to offer one to Draisaitl.

This is correct, but there has been speculation on this site that a teams with the required picks could benefit from such a move (NSH, NYI, VGK, MTL being names I've seen thrown around the most).
Old 06-28-2017, 04:24 PM   #312
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Very true. From my quick count, and depending on what draft pick compensation is required, Nashville, Montreal, Vegas have both space and picks. I'm sure there are plenty more but those are all likely candidates.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #313
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
They don't HAVE to re-sign Radulov. They might, but considering what he's looking for, Montreal might not be his final destination.
Of course, but you said they had 21M in cap space with only Galchenyuk to re-sign. That's not true, they also have Radulov, whether they choose to re-sign him or not. If they don't, they need to find a new top 6 RW somewhere.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM   #314
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, but there are some, and ones who could use him, too. Like Montreal. Or Vegas. Carolina could do it. The Canucks could (and it would sting Edmonton either way). NYR can do it.

The Sharks could offer but only at the top tier (over $9.8M). That said, if they are losing Joe and Marleau, they could use a guy like Draisaitl, and will have money. Plus, the four first rounders they have might not be as high as a lot of the others.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #315
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, less than the percentage of cap hit Iggy got on his first contract out of the initial lock out when the salary cap came into the NHL.

$7M/39=17.95%
$13.25/75=17.67%
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 04:53 PM   #316
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Of course, but you said they had 21M in cap space with only Galchenyuk to re-sign. That's not true, they also have Radulov, whether they choose to re-sign him or not. If they don't, they need to find a new top 6 RW somewhere.
Radulov is looking for something like 6 million per for 6 years at the age of 30. I'm pretty sure that if Montreal could get their hands on Draisaitl something they've been coveting for a long time, that their boardroom comments about Radulov would be, hey f that guy, burn his number and we'll find something else.

And then they'd drive over to Radulov's house and basically

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #317
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This contract is a steal for the Oilers. McDavid had all the leverage and could have had a lot more.
I don't see Draisaitl getting much more than Tarasenko
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #318
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default McDavid signs extension: 8 years, 13.25M per.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Ryan Rishaug‏Verified account @TSNRyanRishaug 3m3 minutes ago
More
My sense is Draisaitl ask on an 8 year deal could push 9m per season. Oilers I'd guess would think 7-8 range based on comps

Oh please please please be true.

Rishaugh seems to be plugged in with Oilers mgmt right now. He apparently reported that Russel's contract would be around 4 million and that the Oilers were really interested in Yamamoto. I fully expect to see the number in the high 7, low 8 million
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 05:05 PM   #319
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's market value...it's certainly not a steal though
Old 06-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #320
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
This contract is a steal for the Oilers. McDavid had all the leverage and could have had a lot more.
I don't see Draisaitl getting much more than Tarasenko

I think "steal" is an exaggeration. It is good for Edmonton and closer to the lower end of McDavid's value, but hardly a bargain. It's a good deal; not everything must be either "amazing!" or "terrible!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote