Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #21
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus, this trophy has become about name recognition more than anything else. That's a disappointing list outside of Kucherov.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #22
CedarMeter
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1122593274609356801
CedarMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #23
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't use the playoffs argument against McDavid as much as the argument that he really is useless defensively. He is an absolutely fantastic skater who is excellent offensively mainly due to that great speed..........and that's about it. It's not not like he's some great all around player. I would definitely have Marchand on that list ahead of him based on what I saw from both players this year. He just brought way more to the table.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:36 PM   #24
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, DickMavid won as many playoff games as the other 2 but the other 2 carried their teams to the playoffs or at least were a huge part of them getting there.

Hugely overrated team guy, hes the guy who puts points up for himself but not team points.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:41 PM   #25
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Lol @ McDavid getting a nomination. Anyhow it’s going to Kucherov and rightfully so. You can say what you want about how him & Tampa crapping the bed this playoffs but he had the highest scoring season in 20 years. That alone is something that should be appreciated.

McDavid actually didn’t get a nomination, he just finished top 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #26
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Jesus, this trophy has become about name recognition more than anything else. That's a disappointing list outside of Kucherov.
Explain how you consider Crosby’s regular season performance and top 3 in Hart voting to be about “name recognition “.

He is the consummate 200 ft player with 100 pts , excels at every part of the game. He literally has no weaknesses. He is worthy of Hart consideration.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #27
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Sure, DickMavid won as many playoff games as the other 2 but the other 2 carried their teams to the playoffs or at least were a huge part of them getting there.

Hugely overrated team guy, hes the guy who puts points up for himself but not team points.
Voting was all done prior to the playoffs. Kucherov and Crosby winning zero playoff games was not known at the time of the vote.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:43 AM   #28
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't use the playoffs argument against McDavid as much as the argument that he really is useless defensively. He is an absolutely fantastic skater who is excellent offensively mainly due to that great speed..........and that's about it. It's not not like he's some great all around player. I would definitely have Marchand on that list ahead of him based on what I saw from both players this year. He just brought way more to the table.
Sure, but when the “that’s about it” that a player is good at consistently results in 100+ point seasons, the guy is going to get fairly recognised for it.

I don’t much like McDavid, but the amount of complaining is over the top. The award is for most valuable, and you can easily make the argument that McDavid isn’t just the most valuable player on a single team, he’s their entire team. Without McDavid, I can’t even imagine how much worse the Oilers would be. Is it even possible?

I think Kucherov won this, but I’ve got no problem with the three nominated.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:19 AM   #29
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Sure, but when the “that’s about it” that a player is good at consistently results in 100+ point seasons, the guy is going to get fairly recognised for it.

I don’t much like McDavid, but the amount of complaining is over the top. The award is for most valuable, and you can easily make the argument that McDavid isn’t just the most valuable player on a single team, he’s their entire team. Without McDavid, I can’t even imagine how much worse the Oilers would be. Is it even possible?

I think Kucherov won this, but I’ve got no problem with the three nominated.
I'm complaining? No, I'm saying that that's it's my opinion Marchand had the better all around season. McDavid is a good enough offensive player that he's always going to be in the conversation, but how many times this season did we see him lazy on the backcheck or doing fly-bys around his net leaving the opposition wide open? It's just my opinion that Marchand was the better all around player this season by quite a margin.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 04:39 AM   #30
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Explain how you consider Crosby’s regular season performance and top 3 in Hart voting to be about “name recognition “.

He is the consummate 200 ft player with 100 pts , excels at every part of the game. He literally has no weaknesses. He is worthy of Hart consideration.
Fair enough. It was an admittedly backhanded comment. I just feel like Marchand really earned a nomination this year over at least one of those two players, preferably McDavid, but I would have been fine with him getting the nod over Crosby as well. Marchand was Crosby's equal this year, but Crosby gets the votes because he's Crosby (and probably because Marchand is a jerk as well).
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:47 AM   #31
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I don’t much like McDavid, but the amount of complaining is over the top. The award is for most valuable, and you can easily make the argument that McDavid isn’t just the most valuable player on a single team, he’s their entire team. Without McDavid, I can’t even imagine how much worse the Oilers would be.

That what everyone said about Taveras leaving the Islanders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-29-2019, 10:00 AM   #32
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
McDavid is a joke, he led his team to the square root of F all.
I'd love to have that "joke" on my team.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #33
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kucherov just had the best season by a winger ever, and scored 1.56 ppg. McDavid was 1.49. Kane was 1.36, and then you have a bunch of guys in the 1.2s. That's a significant gap. IMO, McDavid deserves to be there, if you think the Hart is the award for the best hockey player in the regular season this year.

Doesn't matter anyway, he won't win it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #34
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I'd love to have that "joke" on my team.
With the amount of punchlines on the habs, they are in need of a good joke.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:20 AM   #35
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Kucherov just had the best season by a winger ever, and scored 1.56 ppg. McDavid was 1.49. Kane was 1.36, and then you have a bunch of guys in the 1.2s. That's a significant gap. IMO, McDavid deserves to be there, if you think the Hart is the award for the best hockey player in the regular season this year.
Even if you think the Hart goes to the "best hockey player", that doesn't necessarily equate to the highest scorer. I believe that's the Art Ross trophy.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:23 AM   #36
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that Mackinon was snubbed from yet another heart trophy is ridiculous.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #37
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
The fact that Mackinon was snubbed from yet another heart trophy is ridiculous.
But nobody got snubbed. It doesn’t work like that

As far as I know, the voters put in the votes. The winner is then known.

For some reason, the NHL announces the top 3 based on the votes they got, and calls them finalists. Likely to recognize the top 3 and for the drama of an award show.

But it’s not like three candidates are selected (and the rest snubbed), then the winner is selected from those 3
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #38
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
But nobody got snubbed. It doesn’t work like that

As far as I know, the voters put in the votes. The winner is then known.

For some reason, the NHL announces the top 3 based on the votes they got, and calls them finalists. Likely to recognize the top 3 and for the drama of an award show.

But it’s not like three candidates are selected (and the rest snubbed), then the winner is selected from those 3
I know how it works. The fact that Nathan Mackinnon was not even voted in to the top three by he Professional Hockey Writers' Association is crazy to me.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #39
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I know how it works. The fact that Nathan Mackinnon was not even voted in to the top three by he Professional Hockey Writers' Association is crazy to me.
Doesn't play (a) out east; (b) in a big city like LA/NY; (c) in Canada.

I would guess he's at number 4.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:02 AM   #40
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Doesn't play (a) out east; (b) in a big city like LA/NY; (c) in Canada.

I would guess he's at number 4.
If I were voting my major consideration would be to ask the question "where would this team be if player x was not on their roster".

McDavid- Oilers would be much worse, but they still suck anyways so not a huge difference

Crosby- This iteration of the penguins might not be a playoff team without him ( so altogether a good vote).

Kucherov - The Lightening would be a little worse off, but still a dominant team.

Mackinnon- The Avs would be a lottery team at worse, and miss the playoffs at best.