Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #41
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I didn't hear that. I presume you mean Weisbrod, considering I don't think Feaster had much to do with any of his drafts.

Boomer and Steinbergs comment really show how Button has grown as head scout. 2011 was his draft and I liked it, and I like the 2013 draft.
Yes Weisbrod not Feaster. Feaster let Button and his staff for the most part have a lot of influence.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
There were a lot of criticisms of Feaster and Weisbrod before they left but now they're gone it should be all peaches and cream?
I like Jay Feaster and IMO the good while he was here outweighed the bad but long term I don't think he would have been the guy to get the Flames where they need to be as he narrowly avoided some costly mistakes.

I have nothing personal against Weisbrod as he came in with some decent credentials managing in the NBA and being part of the Bruins personnel department. He sounded like a confident guy in interviews and came off as a man that believed he knew what he was doing. However I'm not sure if he knew as much as he thought he did as some of the more questionable moves under Feaster's tenure happened after Weisbrod was hired. Wasn't a fan of the 2012 draft after a stellar 2011 draft.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #43
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bi-polar views on Weisbrod on this forum never cease to amaze me.

For a while he was the wonder child, given credit for sunshine and the shape of Jennifer Aniston's breasts. Now he is garbage, and personally responsible for global warming climate change.

The guy did some good things here and made some good draft picks. He also made some mistakes. Shocking.

I think he would be a pretty good AGM for Benning (unfortunately)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #44
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm not clear about who's involved with the recent drafts but I like the thought process behind them in that they were focused on character and hockey smarts rather than just size and speed. I hope weisbrod doesn't go to the nucks
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

For a while he was the wonder child, given credit for sunshine and the shape of Jennifer Aniston's breasts. Now he is garbage, and personally responsible for global warming climate change.

The guy did some good things here and made some good draft picks. He also made some mistakes. Shocking.

I was open minded when he was first hired but I don't think you can call me bipolar and I know there were a few others here that weren't exactly enamoured with his work long before he got the axe. One poster said he was garbage so it's pretty unfair to paint us all with one brush don't you think? I don't understand this mentality by some that posters on a fan forum can't be critical of some players or coaches, GM's, etc. It's largely why we are here to discuses this stuff. You like the guy which is great but it's not exactly fair to call posters with different opinion "bi-polar".
Old 05-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #46
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

People practically felated Weisbrod around here, christening him as "THE ARCHITECT" of the Bruins cup winning team. I always got a huge kick out of that.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was open minded when he was first hired but I don't think you can call me bipolar and I know there were a few others here that weren't exactly enamoured with his work long before he got the axe. One poster said he was garbage so it's pretty unfair to paint us all with one brush don't you think? I don't understand this mentality by some that posters on a fan forum can't be critical of some players or coaches, GM's, etc. It's largely why we are here to discuses this stuff. You like the guy which is great but it's not exactly fair to call posters with different opinion "bi-polar".
My comments were not directed at you. Just general observations.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #48
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
People practically felated Weisbrod around here, christening him as "THE ARCHITECT" of the Bruins cup winning team. I always got a huge kick out of that.
I think some may have got caught up with it but wasn't it shown that he actually didn't have a lot of influence on their drafts as he was scouting college players and they never actually drafted many college players when he was there. It's actually no different than the Benning hire. It's no slam dunk that he will be able to build a team as good as the Bruins as it takes a lot of people and a little luck. That said I can't say it's a bad hire as much like with Treliving we will have to wait years to see how things go.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:27 PM   #49
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Weisbrod. I wish him well.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 09:33 PM   #50
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

The biggest take away for me upon Weisbrod's dismissal and it was claimed by Flames staff and media members alike - he wasn't really around all that much.

It struck me as a little disappointing that an assistant GM of an Alberta team would spend the majority of his time on the east coast.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #51
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of people didn't like Feaster and used Weisbrod as their 'hope' that someone good was in the front office making smart decisions. Same deal with the AGM in Vancouver who every likes as the contract guru. The Weisbrod is great stuff was baseless when it was happening.

I have no idea who did what... but trading getting guys like Berra/Hanowski/Cundari etc as prospects in the big sell-off doesn't really point to a genius picking out prospects for trades.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #52
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I fail to see the hate in that post.

Disappointment and frustration, yes, but not hate.
If I called you "garbage" would you think of it as love? Weisbroad did a decent job while he was here as did Feaster.

I just don't get the juvenile attitude around here when someone leaves, after a quick search I couldn't find your "disappointment and frustration" about him before he was fired!
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #53
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
If I called you "garbage" would you think of it as love? Weisbroad did a decent job while he was here as did Feaster.

I just don't get the juvenile attitude around here when someone leaves, after a quick search I couldn't find your "disappointment and frustration" about him before he was fired!
My disapproval of Weisbrod came before the 2013 draft when I realized he was all talk and no game. There is evidence of this, though my post history only goes back 20 pages. I wasn't somebody who suddenly turned on him after he was fired.

I think it's amazing. Feaster and Weisbrod have received a lot of blame over the last 12 months, and I say that one of them is "garbage", and I'm singled out. What a forum this has become if calling somebody "garbage" at their job is the worst imaginable insult. Believe me, I could easily have said much worse.

So yeah, I think Weisbrod, a soon to be AGM of a rival team, is garbage-- sorry, not good --at being an AGM. Deal with it.

This is a positive post. I am happy. And here I thought I was Mr. Negative?
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #54
Karl Racki
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggysback05 View Post
The biggest take away for me upon Weisbrod's dismissal and it was claimed by Flames staff and media members alike - he wasn't really around all that much.

It struck me as a little disappointing that an assistant GM of an Alberta team would spend the majority of his time on the east coast.
Totally agree with this. I have worked with many people like this over a long career. The phrase "what does he/she actually do???" comes up a lot. Along with resentment over them earning a paycheque for ..... ???

In my experience, people like that are all hot air but have managed to land themselves a good paying position because they have pulled the wool over the eyes of the right people. Not saying this is Weisbrod because I have never met him. But everything I heard after his firing led me to the expectation that he is "that guy". And btw, it is ALWAYS a guy like Burke who identifies "that guy" in an organization and gets him the hell out.
Karl Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:01 PM   #55
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

The number of players he's actually graduated to the NHL level to date is essentially non existent (minimal time frame aside) to be claiming how good of a job he did. There is also little to no evidence to prove what his actual responsibilities were in the drafts either - aside from allegedly creaming his jeans over Jankowski.

Being that Button and his staff have survived so much turnover all these years and had a very good draft prior to Weisbrod even joining the team, I'm willing to wager that Weisbrod was merely another talking head that is getting way too much credit for a couple of good drafts.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #56
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So if this is true, who are they firing? Or do they plan to have 3 AGMs?
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #57
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
I liked Weisbrod. I wish him well.
I liked him too, but let's not lose sight that he is in Vancouver now (allegedly), so he deserves no well wishes at all.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #58
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Compared to Orlando Magic fans, we're being nice.

Quote:
Weisbrod was also responsible for the blockbuster trade of disgruntled superstar Tracy McGrady. In a 7-player deal which sent McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue, and another player to the Houston Rockets, the Magic received erratic point guard Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, and Kelvin Cato. Weisbrod received written death threats from fans on different occasions following this transaction.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Weisbrod
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2014, 10:32 PM   #59
Scoreface
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoforever View Post
No he isn't, he joined after the draft.
Haha this is always the one gopher that doesn't go down when you're trying to pound them all in with the hammer.

Hey, it got me a while ago too. Weird eh!!?
Scoreface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #60
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think people are ripping on that 2012 draft just a little too much. Yes, as of May 20th 2014 it sucks seeing the names Hertl, Teravainan, and Mattaa as first rounders we passed up on. But if Janko does pan out, (which after watching him at prospects camp, I believe he will be at least a second line centre) both Jay and John will be laughing.

However that draft has given us two players who look like will play a large part in our future in Sieloff and Gillies, as well we have two growing prospects in Kulak and Culkin; both who we've signed to ELC's

I wish Weisbroad luck and hope the Canucks go nowhere.

Last edited by Cole436; 05-21-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote