Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2015, 10:07 AM   #1961
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Our highest drafted player ever that has the highest ceiling off any of our players and was drafted as a center?

I'm not sure what's happening on CP but since the draft everyone has been pretty down on Bennett. The guy is a gamer and has the potential to better than both the golden children. (Monahan and Gaudreau)
ya, I agree. Seems strange that there are some comments about him and not all positive.

I think he will be our #1 centre in a couple of years. At least 1A and 1B with Mony.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:10 AM   #1962
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Our highest drafted player ever that has the highest ceiling off any of our players and was drafted as a center?

I'm not sure what's happening on CP but since the draft everyone has been pretty down on Bennett. The guy is a gamer and has the potential to better than both the golden children. (Monahan and Gaudreau)
I don't see why someone stating that Bennett will be a LW is indicative of CP being 'down' on Bennett.

I think Bennett will be the best forward on this team within a couple of years, whether he plays C or LW. To be fair, he was listed as "C/LW" on most of his draft profiles & spent plenty of time in the OHL at both positions. If he spends some time at LW to break into the league it hardly prevents him from slotting over to the pivot position when the time is right.

If management feels Bennett's skillset is best suited to the wing so be it. Plenty of good C break into the league on the wing, and at the moment this team is stacked at C.

Let's drink some Feaster Kool-Aid here and imagine, just for a second, that Jankowski lives up to his top 6 C potential: Monahan (6'2"), Jankowski (6'4"), Bennett (6'1"), Backlund (6'0") & Colborne (6'5") will all be vying for top 6 spots. I'd rather have the taller players with better faceoff skills playing C mainly, but having the remaining players filling in on the wing is hardly a bad thing, especially when the main man gets kicked out of the dot.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM   #1963
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If nothing else, I feel like Jankowski's made a statement that he's on track between this strong development camp and his successful frozen four showing.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #1964
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just seems presumptuous to pencil Bennett in as a winger for this season, and his career, based on the last year's playoffs. It seems reasonable to assume he'll continue to play as a center for now. Let's see what shakes out after training camp.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #1965
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Stamkos was drafted as a centerman, he plays right wing.
Reemphasizing this, because Stamkos is pretty not too bad.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #1966
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Paging Vulcan and Hackey! Paging Vulcan and Hackey!!!
Had a good chuckle in the development Camp thread when the one post that wasn't complimentary of Jankowski was quickly thanked by Vulcan. Like a moth to a flame, can't help but have a laugh now.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 AM   #1967
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it still a possibility for Jankowski to sign with the Flames and play in Stockton this season, or has he committed to the NCAA for his Senior year?
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:47 AM   #1968
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He could sign with the Flames at any time, but based on everything both Treliving and Jankowski have said, he will be going back for his senior year. There's no reason to think that plan has changed (or will).
Old 07-10-2015, 11:48 AM   #1969
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmaster View Post
Is it still a possibility for Jankowski to sign with the Flames and play in Stockton this season, or has he committed to the NCAA for his Senior year?
He is going back to college for his last year, however if his season ends early there is a chance he could play late in the season.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #1970
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
I think with how good he is in the dot and his size, he pushes Backlund to wing. So we could roll Backlund - Janko - Frolik
Dat possession tho.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM   #1971
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I keep reading bits and pieces, so sorry if I mix something up.

I think there were a few factors that kept Janko in the NCAA and it had nothing to do with Janko.

- Janko might be able to captain a team. That's development that's immeasurable in value and something he wouldn't get in Stockton.

- He plays on a college team where many of the go to guys have graduated. He probably won't get the same level of reliance in Stockton.

and a completely random long shot that might be wrong... Treliving might have kept him there so that his progression is slowed enough to allow him to be shielded in an expansion draft.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:12 PM   #1972
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

usually in an expansion draft you don't have to expose young players...highly doubt that had anything to do with any decision here.
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #1973
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Menace View Post
usually in an expansion draft you don't have to expose young players...highly doubt that had anything to do with any decision here.
I'm wrong then.

I believe 1st and second year pros were exempt in previous drafts, so based on that, unless an expansion draft is 3 years away, not an issue for him.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #1974
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

There's the risk that he walks though.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:00 PM   #1975
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Oh, you
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 01:13 PM   #1976
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Reemphasizing this, because Stamkos is pretty not too bad.

Reemphasizing what?

Stamkos has played the majority of his career as a center
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:58 PM   #1977
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Absolutely, and isn't that risk just hitting home how dumb a move this was by Feaster to draft this guy, something I certainly didn't appreciate at the time.

Fair enough to say you went after a long term prospect, but when you know it's going to take much longer to develop, seems as though it becomes a wasted pick because the player is going to have this UFA option to explore if they end up panning out, and why would any player not at least consider that. Or on the flip side, they aren't developing well and aren't a risk to walk, but then who really cares and it was a wasted pick because it isn't panning out.

Got feel that the Jankowski pick, regardless of how he turns out as a player had to one of the main reasons Burke let Feaster walk. Feaster actually seem to do a lot of things right, especially in regards to talent identification and development, but all that good was littered with bone head mistake after bone head mistake all over the place. Things that seem to be getting cleaned up under Burke and Treliving.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #1978
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got the impression in listening to him speak that he's appreciative of what the organization has done for him.

I think he signs after his season, and depending on the timing, might even make his pro debut late in the season just to get a few pro games in.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:04 PM   #1979
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Our 2009 first rounder played in Swedish whatever league and demanded a trade, threatening to re-enter the draft.

Our 2011 first rounder played in WHL and demanded a trade, threatening to not sign at all and take his ball home to Europe.

We afaik have never had a college player do the Schultzy switcheroo special. I don't see this risk in Jankowski. Treliving doesn't strike me as the type who gets duped by a 21 year old and his agent. The Flames are the ones who seem to have suggested to him to play his senior year.

Last edited by saillias; 07-10-2015 at 03:07 PM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #1980
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Holy over-reaction.. I mean it was one thing to proclaim him a bust early on, but quite another to worry about signing him just as he shows some promise.

Mid-late 1st round picks are anything but a sure thing and as someone mentioned earlier, if a player doesn't want to play for you, they don't want to play for you (ie. Tim Erixon).

I would actually be surprised if he doesn't sign with us but why worry about it until the time comes - it shouldn't stop GMs from drafting who THEY feel is the best player available at that time.
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theg69 For This Useful Post: