Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #1941
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Please clarify how you’ve came to the conclusion that up-zoning reduces child safety
It's a combination of the increased street parking, speed limit, and the risk of drivers being unable to react to a child suddenly running out between parked cars.

That's why, if I was going to raise a family, I would probably choose to live in a community like Westgate, Wildwood or Glendale, as opposed to Altadore for that reason.

Last edited by flamesfever; 09-13-2023 at 04:21 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:04 PM   #1942
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Upzoning makes transit unsafe and is impossible because of Quebec language laws.
You mean you can't see the connection?...just kidding.

This thread is about Development is it not? Besides I believe the Mayor and City Council are about to discuss upzoning quite soon.

Last edited by flamesfever; 09-13-2023 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:25 PM   #1943
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re really doing a lot of mental gymnastics here. No one said(or at least I didn’t) that there were no reasons why doing business in Quebec can be more expensive/onerous than in other jurisdictions.

My point was that claiming that the bilingual labelling requirements were making it too expensive to do business in Quebec specifically(as the poster I was responding to did) is ridiculous. Which it is because literally the rest of the country has to do it too.

If you want to pretend as though my comment that people who complain about bilingual packaging usually just don’t like Quebec is insinuating that people are being racist without anything to support your baseless accusations then fill your boots. Quebec is a province, not a race and there are a number of other political motives people can have for making those claims beyond not liking French speaking people if that’s what you’re implying I was suggesting.

I think what you really wanted for me to have said was that people who complain about bilingual packaging usually just want to complain about people who speak french, which I clearly did not say and I am happy to clarify that it was not my intention to suggest/insinuate that at all.

Knowing that now, are you going to hold yourself accountable and acknowledge that your accusations of me of calling people racist are completely unfounded?
Hold myself accountable? LOL.

I used the word prejudiced, not racist, so don't put words in my mouth.

And this is what you said:
Quote:
It’s usually just used as a talking point by people who don’t like Quebec.
You made the claim, I just called you on it. It is you that needs to justify that ridiculous claim, and hold yourself accountable. Are you going to explain to us how you might know what other people think about Quebec?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:25 PM   #1944
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
It's a combination of the increased street parking, speed limit, and the risk of drivers being unable to react to a child suddenly running out between parked cars.

That's why, if I was going to raise a family, I would probably choose to live in a community like Westgate, Wildwood or Glendale, as opposed to Altadore for that reason.
I think you've got it wrong. Denser neighborhoods with more street parking lead to people driving slower, not faster. This makes it safer for everyone.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2023, 04:29 PM   #1945
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #1946
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I sure hope the Mayor and City Council don't start blanket upzoning.

Upzoning for the purpose of increasing the density comes with downsides. For example, increased street parking, traffic congestion, lower child safety, increased housing cost, increased water use, less green area, fracturing of communities, increased pollution in adjacent lower areas e.g. Calgary's downtown area.

You just have to take a look at the communities around the Marda Loop area to see what I am talking about.

Although it does make the developers rich.
What are your thoughts on the current housing crunch?
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 04:40 PM   #1947
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think you've got it wrong. Denser neighborhoods with more street parking lead to people driving slower, not faster. This makes it safer for everyone.
Just like densifying is going to make if cheaper for people to live in these finer neighborhoods, when a developer can buy a bungalow fore $ 700,000., subdivide the lot, and build two infills that sell for a million each.

Just like densifying is environmentally friendly, when many trees are removed, the green areas in the backyards disappear, and the air quality in the neighborhoods and the lower elevation area of the downtown area becomes worse.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:07 PM   #1948
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just like densifying is going to make if cheaper for people to live in these finer neighborhoods, when a developer can buy a bungalow fore $ 700,000., subdivide the lot, and build two infills that sell for a million each.

Just like densifying is environmentally friendly, when many trees are removed, the green areas in the backyards disappear, and the air quality in the neighborhoods and the lower elevation area of the downtown area becomes worse.
Like seriously? lol are there 1,000 trees in every backyard to make a difference?
Old 09-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #1949
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Like seriously? lol are there 1,000 trees in every backyard to make a difference?
Drug dealers hide behind them - Bunk.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:10 PM   #1950
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think anyone is advocating to tear down a single house to build a duplexes or fourplexes in its place. You don’t need a massive lot to build a small apartment building that can handle 10 or 12 units. You
see these all up Centre St and in the Beltline. Just think more vertically.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 05:31 PM   #1951
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
What are your thoughts on the current housing crunch?
The housing crunch is being exacerbated by our increased immigration and expanded foreign student programs, along with foreign capital coming into our country. I believe, at this time, it would be prudent to lower the immigration rate temporarily. This would decrease the demand for housing and lower or stabilize house prices. I realize the importance of immigration for our country in the long run, but I believe, at this point in time, fixing the housing crisis is more important than our need for immigration.

We are obviously caught up in a rising real estate environment worldwide. However, our Federal Government have done very little to help the matter because the wealth effect, in places like Toronto and area, has worked in their favor in the past. Also, the immigrants tend to vote Liberal, as they are party that allowed them to immigrate. The Conservatives are just about as bad, as they don't want to campaign on lowering the immigration in order to risk a backlash from immigrants, even though it makes common sense to do so.

just my opinion
Old 09-13-2023, 05:40 PM   #1952
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
If you stand at the corner of Bow and Sarcee, and look over Wildwood, you can clearly see the urban forest.
Old 09-13-2023, 05:45 PM   #1953
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hold myself accountable? LOL.

I used the word prejudiced, not racist, so don't put words in my mouth.
You literally stated that I called people racist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
As to the condescension, it wasn't started by me, I was simply responding in kind. It really pisses me off when people casually call other people racist, as a matter of course, simply because they don't understand, or don't care to understand where those people are coming from - iggy called people racist, and then became condescending when challenged on it.
I guess I’ll take the hint that you refuse to be held accountable for what you say.

Oh well.

Quote:
And this is what you said:

You made the claim, I just called you on it. It is you that needs to justify that ridiculous claim, and hold yourself accountable. Are you going to explain to us how you might know what other people think about Quebec?
I’m a little baffled that anyone would view that as ridiculous.

When someone makes an unfounded negative statement about a person, place or thing it’s generally a strong indication that they hold negative views about that person, place or thing. It doesn’t take a mind reader to figure that out.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:02 PM   #1954
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

This is what it feels like when doves cry.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:13 PM   #1955
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is what it feels like when doves cry.
How do you know how doves feel when they’re crying? Be accountable for yourself Pepsi and justify this ridiculous claim.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:18 PM   #1956
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Sorry, I meant this is what I feel like when doves cry.

Cold, empty, racist.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #1957
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I've seen several of these lots host four or more-plexes, so yes, it's possible. Maybe they should be upzoned only for that type of density?

You can't look at one side of the balance sheet and consider something not good for the environment because of it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:40 PM   #1958
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever.
Denser neighborhoods means that three kids get run over each time instead of just one loner from the low density neighbourhood. It’s all in the data.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 02:35 AM   #1959
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I meant this is what I feel like when doves cry.

Cold, empty, racist.
As the creator of this thread who has seen it turn into arguing about Quebec, immigrants, and urbanization fights:

Why do we scream at each other?
This is what it sounds like
When doves cry

FWIW, I want to live in a 5 minute walkable city that is highly dense & with shared park spaces instead of personal backyards and lawns. Amsterdam level bike infrastructure. Cars can be banned. That would solve the problem of all the hypothetical children being run over.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-14-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 09:25 AM   #1960
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cool local toy store The Discovery Hut is opening a Market Mall location "this fall" according to their website.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post: