Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2020, 12:55 PM   #1941
goflamesgo18
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think Rittich will be traded to Chicago.

They like their Czechs over there and they really need a goalie.

I think Calgary will probably then sign Aaron Dell as backup.
Would absolutely love Dell to replace Rittich. Would save some cap and arguably just as good.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #1942
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Honest question though, how happy is Rittich staying in CGY now that he knows his path to a full time starter gig has been blocked? Seriously.

He did not take the ride or die with Talbot too well is Cassie said they really didn't like what he was doing in the bubble.
Then hung him out hard in the final game as well.

I just cannot believe that Rittich is a happy camper about being a Flame right now. And he's a bit of an emotions on his sleeve guy in the first place.

Edit: Oh and then ypu have tree telling people they've have him going to a shrink to deal with his mental toughness on top of that.

Nothing tells me Ritter is long for CGY.
Rittich has one very good reason to heed the advice of the Flames and be mentally prepared and play well next season: he is a UFA next Summer.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #1943
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Any updates on confirmed teams in or out on Hall? It was rumored last week that he planned on making his decision Sunday morning-ish. It seems to have been eerily quiet on this front. Likely a commitment by his agent and pitching teams as most good teams pitching would have to make space of existing players that they would otherwise keep.
Aaron Portzline says the Blue Jackets are not in on Hall.

Adrian Dater says the Avalanche are not in on Hall.

Bruins are reportedly out on Hall.

It’s really quiet. If I were to guess, based on who Friedman believed would be in on Hall as of Friday morning, I’d say it’ll be one of the Predators, Canadiens, or Flames - but there has not been any real noise since free agency began, just rumblings that this team or that team is out of the bidding for Hall.

If I’m speculating on this/reading into the silence, I think Calgary is going to get him. If it was Nashville, it would be done by now. They have the cap-space, they have the need. Calgary though? They likely want to pull off a trade and announce the signing in one shot/pretty quick succession to maximize leverage. Hence the silence around the Flames and the teams interested in Hall.

I’m hopeful Calgary pulls this off. It would be huge for us.

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-11-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #1944
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
LOL

Backlund and the Flames came up short on two likely to be hall of famers. But let’s overreact and lay the blame at his feet.

The best possession driving forward on the team, wins faceoffs, kills penalties, and takes on the toughest responsibilities, while putting up 50 points.

He was also our best forward in the playoffs by a wide margin
Regrettably the Flames didn't have another impact forward to send out with Backlund & Mangiapane after Tkachuk went down, Lucic, Bennett, Dubé, were fire too.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:58 PM   #1945
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Rittich has one very good reason to heed the advice of the Flames and be mentally prepared and play well next season: he is a UFA next Summer.
I think he'd rather be elsewhere for that.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:00 PM   #1946
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unless we hear directly from Rittich, we won't really know exactly how he feels about the Flames signing Markstrom.

Yes, I am sure he is a bit bummed-out from not being the #1, but maybe he can look at the positives as well. He gets to learn from Markstrom now as well, and he knows that Markstrom will not be playing every game, especially with what looks like a condensed schedule. Rittich will most assuredly see a tonne of time in the net. He will also be part of a more exciting team now in terms of how much noise they will be expected to make.

Last year of his contract behind a pretty good team that doesn't give up a lot. That should be a positive for him in free agency next season, especially if his numbers aren't far behind Markstrom's (which I bet they won't be).
Old 10-11-2020, 01:05 PM   #1947
Flames67
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would hope that Rittich could see this as a Rask+Halak situation rather than completely living in the shadows of Markstrom. This is a great opportunity for him to win with the team rather than putting up personal numbers as his goal.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #1948
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t think there’s any chance we move Rittich. This upcoming year is going to require that you have a high end tandem. Markstrom is our go-to #1, but Rittich will need to play 35 games. If we spread that out enough, hopefully Rittich can stay healthy and deliver a season of .910+ goaltending.

There’s a good chance this will be a historic, once in a life time Canadian Division - and we’ll need two good goalies to win that division.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #1949
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Flames, just so you know, I'm laid off as of next Friday so if you need another AGM, shoot me a PM.

Spoiler!

Just bored as hell waiting for some Hall news so the dominos start to fall
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:14 PM   #1950
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I don’t think there’s any chance we move Rittich. This upcoming year is going to require that you have a high end tandem. Markstrom is our go-to #1, but Rittich will need to play 35 games. If we spread that out enough, hopefully Rittich can stay healthy and deliver a season of .910+ goaltending.

There’s a good chance this will be a historic, once in a life time Canadian Division - and we’ll need two good goalies to win that division.
Agreed. You see other teams like Montreal shoring up their backup position knowing that it will be important. No starter will play more than about 55 games or so if the schedule is condensed. The backup position may determine if you make or miss the playoffs.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:32 PM   #1951
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

In terms of the goaltending situation, Treliving spelled it out during a FAN960 interview yesterday.

Markstrom and Rittich are the NHL pairing.

The AHL is even more compressed, with planned 3 night in a row back to backs. They are planning on running three goalies there.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:41 PM   #1952
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
In terms of the goaltending situation, Treliving spelled it out during a FAN960 interview yesterday.

The AHL is even more compressed, with planned 3 night in a row back to backs. They are planning on running three goalies there.
What else is he going to say at that moment in time?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #1953
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Aaron Portzline says the Blue Jackets are not in on Hall.

Adrian Dater says the Avalanche are not in on Hall.

Bruins are reportedly out on Hall.

It’s really quiet. If I were to guess, based on who Friedman believed would be in on Hall as of Friday morning, I’d say it’ll be one of the Predators, Canadiens, or Flames - but there has not been any real noise since free agency began, just rumblings that this team or that team is out of the bidding for Hall.

If I’m speculating on this/reading into the silence, I think Calgary is going to get him. If it was Nashville, it would be done by now. They have the cap-space, they have the need. Calgary though? They likely want to pull off a trade and announce the signing in one shot/pretty quick succession to maximize leverage. Hence the silence around the Flames and the teams interested in Hall.

I’m hopeful Calgary pulls this off. It would be huge for us.
Boy do I hope you're right.

The asset windfall could be massive for the Flames.

Team would stay competitive and at the same time make up for the loss of assets from the Hamonic blunder and also the Kadri trade block that ended up in a high quality asset like Brodie walking away for nothing.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #1954
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Agreed. As I think most people would.

But if it’s Rittich or Hall, Rittich will be shipped out and a 3rd goalie will come in.

Treliving isn’t keeping Rittichs contract on the books if he’s in the way of Hall.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #1955
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Who was talking about the bottom 6?

Anyone that was going to claim Johnson would play him in the tip 6.

In ant event, Lucic has one of the more immovable contracts in the league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just don't think Johnson is an upgrade on any of our top 6 forwards at that price, so if we picked him up, we'd either play him in the bottom 6, or we would be downgrading our top 6 just to accommodate him.

Lucic at least has utility as a bottom 6, Johnson no so much. Nobody is taking either contract without something else going back though.
Old 10-11-2020, 01:47 PM   #1956
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
Flames Taylor Hall Fantasy:

Would a team take Ryan for a league minimum (or two) coming back Calgary's way?

Can the Flames trade Hanifin for just futures or an ELC prospect?

If so, Hall can be squeezed in but more breathing room is still needed.

Hall (7.0) - Backlund - Tkachuk
Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Dubé - Bennett - Mangiapane (2.25)
Lucic - Ryan replacement (.700) - Rinaldo
Robinson

Giordano - Tanev
Välimäki - Andersson
Mackey - Kylington (.800)
7th D (.700)

Markström
Rittich

Cap Hit: $80,289,166
Buyouts: $2,666,667
Bonuses: $882,500
Cap Space: $0.710834
Old 10-11-2020, 01:49 PM   #1957
jesters91
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Tre is still in on Hall contract(s) have to be on the way out.

Johnny should fetch a #1 pick, roster player and prospect. The Flames can't take much salary back so how many teams would be interested and could do a package of picks and prospects?

Derek Ryan (3.125) cap helps but isn't nearly enough of a cap dump.

BSD (2.75) probably saves you between 1 - 1.5 million after signing a legitimate backup.

Hanifin (4.95) cap space is a big chunk but until Valimaki proves he can play and stay healthy for a full season the Top 4 should be a lock (Gio, Rasmus, Hanifin & Tanev).

What other options are there?
Old 10-11-2020, 01:52 PM   #1958
Atodaso
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If Calgary doesn't end up with Hall, how does everyone feel about Toffoli as a plan B?
Old 10-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #1959
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesters91 View Post
If Tre is still in on Hall contract(s) have to be on the way out.

Johnny should fetch a #1 pick, roster player and prospect. The Flames can't take much salary back so how many teams would be interested and could do a package of picks and prospects?

Derek Ryan (3.125) cap helps but isn't nearly enough of a cap dump.

BSD (2.75) probably saves you between 1 - 1.5 million after signing a legitimate backup.

Hanifin (4.95) cap space is a big chunk but until Valimaki proves he can play and stay healthy for a full season the Top 4 should be a lock (Gio, Rasmus, Hanifin & Tanev).

What other options are there?
I like the thought of Johnny to Jersey for Nolan Foote and a 1st.... maybe another pick or prospect
Old 10-11-2020, 01:56 PM   #1960
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atodaso View Post
If Calgary doesn't end up with Hall, how does everyone feel about Toffoli as a plan B?
Toffoli isn't a good fit on account of his below average skating and he is poor in transition, an area that Calgary struggled at last season.
Closed Thread