Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #1921
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hold on kids, daddy has to chain up......
Old 10-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #1922
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Hold on kids, daddy has to chain up......
Beats "hold on kids we're gonna sit on this hill for a couple hours until we can back up".

Saw Photon posted today about his wife getting stuck in a parking lot. Seems like exactly the time it would be great to whip out some easy to install chains.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:52 PM   #1923
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will those chains tear at your treads if you ever have to slam on the brakes?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:56 PM   #1924
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Will those chains tear at your treads if you ever have to slam on the brakes?
Shouldn't. If they're installed properly - they're tight to the tire and the fact that there is generally weight on the chain and tire at any time means they move together. They'd also be used in snowy conditions so if you're slamming on brakes its not a case of one or the other biting into pavement, but rather the chains should bite into the snow.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #1925
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Munroe View Post
Wow, I never would have thought chains were legal and feel like I would be nervous behind someone on Deerfoot at a regular pace who has chains.
Absolutely legal, but you don't use them on pavement you just put them on when you need them and take them right back off.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 09:21 PM   #1926
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I can think of maybe a half dozen times in my life where chains would have been useful, tonight being one. I was in an area with lots of people around so help presented itself, but if it'd been somewhere less populated I would have had to return the next day hoping Impark had plowed the lot overnight, or with better equipment.

But I'm sure some people are in situations far more often where they'd be useful. Out far from a civilization. For the cost it's a pretty good insurance policy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #1927
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots get plowed in the middle of the day when people are parked there? I thought they only do them at night when they are mostly empty.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #1928
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah I can think of maybe a half dozen times in my life where chains would have been useful, tonight being one. I was in an area with lots of people around so help presented itself, but if it'd been somewhere less populated I would have had to return the next day hoping Impark had plowed the lot overnight, or with better equipment.

But I'm sure some people are in situations far more often where they'd be useful. Out far from a civilization. For the cost it's a pretty good insurance policy.
Exactly, for the $100 it cost me, seems cheaper than a tow and well worth the peace of mind. You'd probably be better off carrying chains in winter over a spare tire, given the frequency used!
Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #1929
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a mobile tire swapping service? Tires are already mounted on rims so the swap should be straightforward. I don't want to take my car out on the road with the summer tires in these conditions.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:22 AM   #1930
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Can anyone recommend a mobile tire swapping service? Tires are already mounted on rims so the swap should be straightforward. I don't want to take my car out on the road with the summer tires in these conditions.
InstaMek.com

I had these guys do a bit of work for me. No more expensive than a shop, other than about a $15 or so surcharge of some kind. Wasn't a tire swap, but I think they'll do pretty much anything that can be done in a driveway. I was impressed.

The roads aren't TOO bad now. Unless your tires have pretty much had it, or you've got some hills to tackle, I'm sure you'll be fine enough to get it to a shop...if you can find one now that isn't booked solid.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #1931
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
InstaMek.com

I had these guys do a bit of work for me. No more expensive than a shop, other than about a $15 or so surcharge of some kind. Wasn't a tire swap, but I think they'll do pretty much anything that can be done in a driveway. I was impressed.

The roads aren't TOO bad now. Unless your tires have pretty much had it, or you've got some hills to tackle, I'm sure you'll be fine enough to get it to a shop...if you can find one now that isn't booked solid.
Yeah, the roads aren't bad. The problem is my community roads. Our cul-de-sac doesn't get cleaned and there's a lot of snow. And on the main roads today it seemed very icy (I had a loaner this morning).
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:02 PM   #1932
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe I missed this suggestion, but we should have a poll on this thread. I'm curious to know how many people actually put winter tires on. For many years it seemed like no one cared about winter tires, and over the last few years it's definitely becoming more of a 'must-do' instead of a 'meh'. Five years ago I would have said no to using them but now it's a must have for me.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2018, 12:20 PM   #1933
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't ran winter tires since I lived at home in high school and we had them on the family vehicle. But that was in northern Alberta where winter actually existed. Since then I've never had them, partly due to driving company owned vehicles for years, and partially to not really feeling the need for them due to living in Calgary and our driving patterns. For the first time in 30 years I am putting them on our new vehicle (today). It's my wife's vehicle, it's new, and it's the one my two teens drive most often so I feel better if they are running winters.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 PM   #1934
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure to top up the air in the tires for better traction. I checked this morning and I realized my PSI is between 27-29. I blame the sudden drop in temperature.

I wonder if that's why I felt fine driving in straight lines, but slightly slippery on turns even though I have winter rated tires on my car.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:25 PM   #1935
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Make sure to top up the air in the tires for better traction. I checked this morning and I realized my PSI is between 27-29. I blame the sudden drop in temperature.

I wonder if that's why I felt fine driving in straight lines, but slightly slippery on turns even though I have winter rated tires on my car.

Doesn't lower air pressure allow more surface contact which aids traction ?

It does when going off road...
Old 10-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #1936
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
Maybe I missed this suggestion, but we should have a poll on this thread. I'm curious to know how many people actually put winter tires on. For many years it seemed like no one cared about winter tires, and over the last few years it's definitely becoming more of a 'must-do' instead of a 'meh'. Five years ago I would have said no to using them but now it's a must have for me.
No...

Cooper Discovery AT / MS tires on my truck 12 months a year.

Going strong for about 5 years now...
Old 10-03-2018, 01:33 PM   #1937
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
No...

Cooper Discovery AT / MS tires on my truck 12 months a year.

Going strong for about 5 years now...
Michelin AT/MS for me....
Old 10-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #1938
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

not usually but when I get a new truck I'll be putting winter tires on because we will take it on the highway more and keep teh km's down on wifes suv that does the highway miles now.

for bombing around the city my BFG Ko2's & 4WD go anywhere.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #1939
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Was amazed that I got my Jeep on crappy 3/32" remaining all seasons out of the drift in front of my house and to the tire shop this morning. Had booked it in weeks ago, was worried I wasn't going to make it.

Guess that just goes to show I don't need winter tires after all?
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #1940
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
Doesn't lower air pressure allow more surface contact which aids traction ?

It does when going off road...
Not a good idea for winters. It works for off road because you're not travelling at a high speed.

All you really do is up the risk of blowing out your tire.