Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2018, 11:49 AM   #1921
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
And to add to this, I don't think anyone wants to see debates about players being an inch offside. The sheer silliness of the NHL reviews has just cemented that one for me. Players who are literally a few mm offside aren't ruining the game; the idiocy of holding up goal celebrations and enjoyment because of reviews and the quest for perfection are.

I would be onside with VAR if it was only used for egregious errors. Unfortunately though, it's not. It's been used in scenarios where there is nothing appearing egregious at all, and you're watching a game with no idea what they're even reviewing. Even after a VAR decision is made there is no explanation of what took place, why the decision was made or anything...it's just crazy.

And yeah, the world cup is using this. I can only imagine the outcry if the implementation is similar to what we have seen so far in the FA Cup.
I agree, and this is the thing for me though, I like the use of it in Rugby where the ref can go to the VAR and they have no problems calling off a try or awarding a penalty.

Big calls are part of the deal.

Whereas in soccer the players on the field would go ballistic and crucify the ref.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 11:54 AM   #1922
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I agree, and this is the thing for me though, I like the use of it in Rugby where the ref can go to the VAR and they have no problems calling off a try or awarding a penalty.

Big calls are part of the deal.

Whereas in soccer the players on the field would go ballistic and crucify the ref.
Psychologically intimidating and conning the ref are part of soccer culture. David gets one over on Goliath. Or the big teams get all the calls.
Soccer is sometimes played moreso in the press than on the field. Controversy sells.

It is not in rugby.

Last edited by GirlySports; 04-13-2018 at 11:56 AM.
GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #1923
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Psychologically intimidating and conning the ref are part of soccer culture. David gets one over on Goliath. Or the big teams get all the calls.
Soccer is sometimes played moreso in the press than on the field. Controversy sells.

It is not in rugby.
Part of this is because in rugby respect of the official is demanded and ingrained. You could get the same thing in soccer by carding players ruthlessly for any dissent. That’s how it works in rugby, and nothing shuts up yappy players faster than a penalty or two and his teammates telling him to pipe down.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #1924
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not only was this not red, it wasn't even a card. English refs gonna English ref

Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #1925
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool beat Bournemouth after a huge Champions' League win? What team is this?

Mo Salah, Mo Problems!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-14-2018, 12:31 PM   #1926
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

welcome to the PL, Jorge Mendes.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 01:14 PM   #1927
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

City helping out Liverpool!

Although I dont know why they didnt let Kane take that penalty.

Old 04-14-2018, 01:31 PM   #1928
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eriksen makes it 2-1....you think Kane lets him keep that one or he did he touch that one too?

Old 04-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #1929
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perfect time for City to decide to win a game.

And Salah got one to pull farther ahead of 'Arry. Even with his ill-gotten penalties and teammates' goals.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #1930
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been like a week and I'm already sick of all the Harry Kane jokes. Time and place please, they will be funny when appropriate, not after every goal. Also it occurred to me watching the last couple City games, that as great as they are going forward, Jesus and Sterling waste so many chances that they could be even more dominant offensively with more clinical finishing. Swap them for Firminho and Salah and that would be ridiculously terrifying.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:47 AM   #1931
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It's been like a week and I'm already sick of all the Harry Kane jokes. Time and place please, they will be funny when appropriate, not after every goal. Also it occurred to me watching the last couple City games, that as great as they are going forward, Jesus and Sterling waste so many chances that they could be even more dominant offensively with more clinical finishing. Swap them for Firminho and Salah and that would be ridiculously terrifying.
Thats a shame.

Quote:
Jordan Henderson had a laugh at Harry Kane's expense after Liverpool's 3-0 win on Saturday, joking that Mohamed Salah would be credited with all three goals.

"Yeah, he told me he's going to claim all of them,"

"Another hat-trick for Mo today.... just waiting for the other two to be confirmed by the claims panel" (<- I dont know how to embed tweets but thats James Milner)
http://www.espn.com/soccer/liverpool...im-three-goals

Old 04-15-2018, 07:59 AM   #1932
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I thought it was kind of lame to pursue, but at the same time the FA obviously agreed that he touched it and it's his goal. It's basically a non-event at this point?

I don't really care one way or the other about the jokes, but I did hate Jim Beglin making that comment after Eriksen scored yesterday. That's not out of the ordinary though, I generally dislike his "input".
Old 04-15-2018, 08:04 AM   #1933
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well I thought it was kind of lame to pursue, but at the same time the FA obviously agreed that he touched it and it's his goal. It's basically a non-event at this point?

I don't really care one way or the other about the jokes, but I did hate Jim Beglin making that comment after Eriksen scored yesterday. That's not out of the ordinary though, I generally dislike his "input".
The English FA taking the goal away from a Dane and giving it to England's starting striker months before the start of the World Cup?

No.....say it isnt so!

It is a non-event, absolutely. But obviously even his England teammates (Henderson) are taking the piss out of him for it.

Its just so childish. So yeah, hes going to get made fun of.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #1934
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Now, celebrate the fact that Newcastle just beat Arsenal. That, at least, should brighten your day.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #1935
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now, celebrate the fact that Newcastle just beat Arsenal. That, at least, should brighten your day.
Lol, believe me it does! I was disappointed with the outcome from yesterday, so at least there is something to enjoy. Where are all the "power shift" comments we saw from November this season though?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:27 AM   #1936
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never thought I'd say it, but I'd somehow be kind of okay with Wenger winning the EL to go out with some kind of dignity. Never going to happen though.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:29 AM   #1937
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, believe me it does! I was disappointed with the outcome from yesterday, so at least there is something to enjoy. Where are all the "power shift" comments we saw from November this season though?
From United to City?

And I wouldnt be too disappointed in yesterday's result. City are better than most teams right now. Just not Liverpool.

We're better than City, obviously, but just not as rich deep.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #1938
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Never thought I'd say it, but I'd somehow be kind of okay with Wenger winning the EL to go out with some kind of dignity. Never going to happen though.
I've never really disliked Wenger, I've always viewed him as something of a cautionary tale.

He came into the League as the smartest guy in the room, but then everyone learned and adapted and caught up but he never innovated.

Hes a good manager, but hes not a great manager.

Its like he had a schtick and then when everyone caught on it stopped working and now hes throwing darts at a board and hoping and praying.

Adapt and survive or stagnate and die.

Old 04-15-2018, 08:36 AM   #1939
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've never really disliked Wenger, I've always viewed him as something of a cautionary tale.

He came into the League as the smartest guy in the room, but then everyone learned and adapted and caught up but he never innovated.

Hes a good manager, but hes not a great manager.

Its like he had a schtick and then when everyone caught on it stopped working and now hes throwing darts at a board and hoping and praying.

Adapt and survive or stagnate and die.
agreed.

I've got a lot of respect for him. I feel he's the last one of a dying breed - the long-term manager who is able to stay at one club for a long period of time. I consider that an impressive feat, given how quickly things change in football and how many coaches (have to) go to new clubs every other year.

Obviously he should have retired/left the club a long time ago. Still, I respect him and feel he deserves more than all the salt and vinegar. Brought it on himself though, without a doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2018, 08:39 AM   #1940
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
agreed.

I've got a lot of respect for him. I feel he's the last one of a dying breed - the long-term manager who is able to stay at one club for a long period of time. I consider that an impressive feat, given how quickly things change in football and how many coaches (have to) go to new clubs every other year.

Obviously he should have retired/left the club a long time ago. Still, I respect him and feel he deserves more than all the salt and vinegar. Brought it on himself though, without a doubt.
Yeah. Definitely.

I'd have gone out with a bang and not a whimper.

He could be managing France right now.

If I had to choose between Arsenal and France there would be a cartoonish outline of me in London because I left for Paris so fast.