Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2024, 12:48 PM   #19361
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Could be a smart idea to get unconditional picks like that far in the future, when many of the good teams of today will be bad. And the GM who trades them to us will probably be gone by then.
Why would those teams not put conditions on their picks that far into the future?
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:48 PM   #19362
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Icon27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
With the Pachal claim you have to think the Tanev situation is turning from a simmer to a boil; really intrigued to see what the return will end up being and I’m hoping he goes to a solid contender.
I'd like him in Dallas or Colorado. Good returns and he can help eliminate the oilers and canucks
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 12:48 PM   #19363
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes, Conroy said he will weaponize the retention.

Also yes, make no sense to retain long term like Kadri and Huberdeau. Few team/owner would do that.

People that said ownership won’t allow Treliving to do this and that are just making excuses for him. They allowed him to do plenty of things
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:49 PM   #19364
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming Conroy's price has been met (or very close to) right now really is the best time to deal Tanev.

We could possibly net slightly more at the deadline in a bidding war, but the risk/reward scenario of an injury happening in each game he plays in probably isn't worth the gamble.

He's healthy and rested right now - deal him!
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:08 PM   #19365
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
With the Pachal claim you have to think the Tanev situation is turning from a simmer to a boil; really intrigued to see what the return will end up being and I’m hoping he goes to a solid contender.
I don't know if we can read anything into the waiver claim. With waivers, you're limited by who's available on any given day. If you want the player, you have to claim him on the day he's available.

While I'm sure the claim was made in anticipation of trading Tanev and/or Hanifin, I don't think it should be seen as an indication that anything is imminent.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:09 PM   #19366
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yeah, I'd also hope the Pachal claim is a precursor to Tanev being dealt shortly. Doesn't have to be connected, but I'd be happy if it was. Vancouver and Winnipeg have made their moves early ... would be great if other teams followed suit. Makes sense too, giving those players a couple extra weeks to get comfortable in their new surroundings before the playoffs start.

also, I kind of want the talking heads to sit in awkward silence on deadline day and/or have to talk about minor deals for hours because the big names have been off the draft board for weeks already. But maybe that's just me.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:14 PM   #19367
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Why would those teams not put conditions on their picks that far into the future?
I would, but hopefully some GMs don't care. Apparently some posters here believe that a 2nd round pick in the upcoming draft is worth a 1st round pick in the draft afterward. I don't, but if some really believe that, take advantage of it.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:18 PM   #19368
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Assuming Conroy's price has been met (or very close to) right now really is the best time to deal Tanev.

We could possibly net slightly more at the deadline in a bidding war, but the risk/reward scenario of an injury happening in each game he plays in probably isn't worth the gamble.

He's healthy and rested right now - deal him!
Nah, *knock on wood* even if Tanev had an injury that would have him out a few weeks teams would pick him up at the deadline just for the playoffs.

The guy tore his labrum and separated his shoulder and missed 4 playoff games (1 Dallas and 3 Oilers) and played through that injury and was better than Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington when he came back in game 4 and 5, and his calming presence.

They'll be a bidding war between some division rivals and some team will overpay handsomely over what they are now, a month early. I think Conroy has to be patient here.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:24 PM   #19369
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can see retention on players with a year left after this one. Mangiapane, Markstrom.
I think that might even be pushing it. The history of the Flames retaining contracts is pretty limited, to one player and that was David Rittich to the amount of around $350K. Even if you were to bring buyouts into the mix, the Flames have not been huge in using that mechanism, riding players out with big hits (see Lucic). The Flames buyout history is limited to 8 players; Nigel Dawes ($141,667 x 2 seasons), Shane O'Brien ($666,667 x 2 seasons), Mason Raymond ($1.05M x 2 seasons), Ryan Murphy ($137,500 x 2 seasons), Lance Bouma ($766,667 x 2 seasons), Troy Brouwer ($1.5M x 4 seasons), and Michael Stone ($1.667M x 2 seasons). I think if they are talking retention the amount they ate on buyouts is probably a good guideline to use as a max as that is what was approved in the past and should set expectations as to what they are thinking of eating. Still very skeptical if they would retain on a player beyond this season and for a large amount of money.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:28 PM   #19370
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can see retention on players with a year left after this one. Mangiapane, Markstrom..
Quick clarification: Markstrom has 2 years remaining after this one. Signed through 2025/2026.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:32 PM   #19371
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting if the Flames get all their work done before the trade deadline, reduce distractions and see if adding Kyllington and Pelletier can spark the team into making a little noise down the stretch.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:33 PM   #19372
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I think that might even be pushing it. The history of the Flames retaining contracts is pretty limited, to one player and that was David Rittich to the amount of around $350K. Even if you were to bring buyouts into the mix, the Flames have not been huge in using that mechanism, riding players out with big hits (see Lucic). The Flames buyout history is limited to 8 players; Nigel Dawes ($141,667 x 2 seasons), Shane O'Brien ($666,667 x 2 seasons), Mason Raymond ($1.05M x 2 seasons), Ryan Murphy ($137,500 x 2 seasons), Lance Bouma ($766,667 x 2 seasons), Troy Brouwer ($1.5M x 4 seasons), and Michael Stone ($1.667M x 2 seasons). I think if they are talking retention the amount they ate on buyouts is probably a good guideline to use as a max as that is what was approved in the past and should set expectations as to what they are thinking of eating. Still very skeptical if they would retain on a player beyond this season and for a large amount of money.
Thats likely why the asking price would be high on Markstrom . Want us to retain a healthy chunk for the next two years? It's gonna cost ya. Plus the value on a #1 like Markstrom at 4 million or under should be high. Even factoring historical values of other traded #1 goalies.
Old 02-04-2024, 01:36 PM   #19373
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can Tanev with retention get Mavrik Bourque out of Dallas? What if the Flames add a 3rd or later round pick? Or a Flames' winger prospect?
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:40 PM   #19374
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Plett View Post
Exactly! This is why Bingo pays the insiders to post here. So we can all get high value from our subscriptions.

I don’t want to be reading the trade details later in the Athletic. I want them in advance, play by play, here. That’s why I pay for a premium subscription and why Bingo is shelling out huge dollars to insiders.
Don't let that premium subscription get out.

I only have 12 of them.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:45 PM   #19375
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
That's fake news Treliving fan!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:50 PM   #19376
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Don't let that premium subscription get out.

I only have 12 of them.
Treliving must have 10 of them

I hope Tanev gets traded early. I think they’d only do it if they get a good prospect or a 1st back.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:10 PM   #19377
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It wouldn't surprise me if Gary Bettman told teams to not make trades/moves during the All-Star weekend (Fri/Sat) so as not to upstage the spectacle that it is.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 02:17 PM   #19378
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if Gary Bettman told teams to not make trades/moves during the All-Star weekend (Fri/Sat) so as not to upstage the spectacle that it is.

It's been muttered by a few insiders that Gary doesn't like particular events upstaged by "other" news. So he may not tell teams that, but they know not to do so.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:19 PM   #19379
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tanev has played his last game as a Calgary Flame.. speculation but gut feeling.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:36 PM   #19380
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I can see, Conroy has a green light to retain. He specifically mentioned that Toronto wanted to Calgary to retain on Zadorov, but felt that they weren't willing to pay for it. Goes on to talk about how the cap space can be weaponized, including having the Flames act as a middleman between two teams to facilitate deals. Feaster years ago spoke about the willingness of the Flames to eat cap space in exchange for assets, though the timing was awful with the compliance buyouts.

In the last deal, the Flames took back extra cap on a reclamation project. I believe that they will get Kuzmenko scoring again, though who knows at what rate. That's a better gamble than holding half of Zadorov's deal for an extra.. 5th??

3 retention slots. Lots of time between now and the deadline. I bet that Conroy finds a way to use the cap space and gain more assets, either through retention, cap dumps or by working as the middleman. Hopefully he gets wildly lucky and pulls a 'Monahan' out of his hat.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote