Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #1901
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
That's an interesting thing to look into, probably the best way is to just pick his most frequent linemates and see how they do with and without him.

By time it's three guys ... James Neal, Mark Janowski and Derek Ryan

James Neal 101 minutes

Together
CF% 51%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 4-5

Neal w/o Bennett
CF% 52%
SCF% 40%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-6

Bennett w/o Neal
CF% 57%
SCF% 56%
HD% 59%
Goal split 3-2

Answer: Neal hurting Bennett

Mark Jankowski 60 Minutes

Together
CF% 49%
SCF% 52%
HD% 56%
Goal split 0-4

Jankowski w/o Bennett
CF% 53%
SCF% 50%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-2

Bennett w/o Jankowski
CF% 57%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 7-3

Answer: Jankowski hurting Bennett

Derek Ryan 62 Minutes

Together
CF% 61%
SCF% 59%
HD% 63%
Goal split 3-1

Ryan w/o Bennett
CF% 50%
SCF% 48%
HD% 43%
Goal split 2-5

Bennett w/o Ryan
CF% 52%
SCF% 55%
HD% 58%
Goal split 4-6

Answer: Ryan hurting Bennett

Great question, and a good answer for what Peters is trying to do. It appears that Bennett is better away from the current lot of third linders that he's been lined up with. Maybe he can help drive the 3M line back to scoring on five on five basis.
I found this interesting. At times I can see Bennett passing to his line-mates in open spaces and for whatever reason they are not finishing. Could it be quality of line-mate's or Bennett using his line-mates.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 AM   #1902
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That's an interesting thing to look into, probably the best way is to just pick his most frequent linemates and see how they do with and without him.

James Neal 101 minutes

Together
CF% 51%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 4-5

Neal w/o Bennett
CF% 52%
SCF% 40%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-6

Bennett w/o Neal
CF% 57%
SCF% 56%
HD% 59%
Goal split 3-2

Together
CF% 49%
SCF% 52%
HD% 56%
Goal split 0-4

Jankowski w/o Bennett
CF% 53%
SCF% 50%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-2

Bennett w/o Jankowski
CF% 57%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 7-3

Derek Ryan 62 Minutes

Together
CF% 61%
SCF% 59%
HD% 63%
Goal split 3-1

Ryan w/o Bennett
CF% 50%
SCF% 48%
HD% 43%
Goal split 2-5

Bennett w/o Ryan
CF% 52%
SCF% 55%
HD% 58%
Goal split 4-6

Great question, and a good answer for what Peters is trying to do. It appears that Bennett is better away from the current lot of third linders that he's been lined up with. Maybe he can help drive the 3M line back to scoring on five on five basis.
Not sure what those numbers mean exactly so be patient with me.

Is it possible that a player that goes to the net a lot more than his linemates would creat this result in numbers? As in events in the home plate.

What im getting at is that I think that Bennett is a bit selfish and he ends up taking the puck towards the net without using his linemates. Which may be good on surface, but he seems to panic and lacks finish, thus it's counter productive. This makes his home plate presence, shot stats look good while his linemates barely register.

It's kind of my impression of him. Plays hard but with blinders on,takes the puck and gets himself in trouble by hitting traffic in front or gets chased to the boards.

Would be nice to see a compilation of his goals from year 1 to see how his game was then.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #1903
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Not sure what those numbers mean exactly so be patient with me.

Is it possible that a player that goes to the net a lot more than his linemates would creat this result in numbers? As in events in the home plate.

What im getting at is that I think that Bennett is a bit selfish and he ends up taking the puck towards the net without using his linemates. Which may be good on surface, but he seems to panic and lacks finish, thus it's counter productive. This makes his home plate presence, shot stats look good while his linemates barely register.

It's kind of my impression of him. Plays hard but with blinders on,takes the puck and gets himself in trouble by hitting traffic in front or gets chased to the boards.

Would be nice to see a compilation of his goals from year 1 to see how his game was then.
In simple terms it appears he is carrying the play more himself than his most frequent linemates.

I agree that he calls his own number often, I think whether that is selfish or not depends on your bias for or against the player.

But the goal splits are on his side too, so it's not just shot metrics that have him ahead on splits over his linemates.

The numbers above suggest he should be promoted and see what happens; exactly what appears Peters has done.

Also looks like he and Ryan work but he and Jankowski do not.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #1904
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In simple terms it appears he is carrying the play more himself than his most frequent linemates.

I agree that he calls his own number often, I think whether that is selfish or not depends on your bias for or against the player.

But the goal splits are on his side too, so it's not just shot metrics that have him ahead on splits over his linemates.

The numbers above suggest he should be promoted and see what happens; exactly what appears Peters has done.

I say selfish in the least mean way. It seems like the game speeds up when he has the puck and he has no time to find his linemates, he ends up taking the whole play to himself.

In contrast we have Johnny who carries the puck a lot, but slows the game down.
Should add that Backlund is also great at slowing it down for the linemates to set up.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #1905
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
I say selfish in the least mean way. It seems like the game speeds up when he has the puck and he has no time to find his linemates, he ends up taking the whole play to himself.

In contrast we have Johnny who carries the puck a lot, but slows the game down.
Should add that Backlund is also great at slowing it down for the linemates to set up.
And selfish is good for the most part.

The always pass first guys are equally as guilty as the always shoot first guys in being too predictable.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:46 AM   #1906
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lebrun with no-news news:

Quote:
Other notes from around the league:
My understanding is that Sam Bennett’s camp spoke with Flames GM Brad Treliving a few days ago. This issue really dates back to last season when Bennett’s role and ice time led to frustration. Other teams inquired but Treliving refused to get into that. And that remains the same today. Treliving has zero intention of trading Bennett.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 10:55 AM   #1907
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Lebrun with no-news news:
Pretty big news in my mind.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #1908
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm guessing (guessing, just guessing) that agents talk to GMs all the time, and most would push for a bigger role and more ice time etc.

So if that's the case this isn't news at all, unless you consider Treliving's firm not trading Bennett to be newsworthy.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #1909
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
From Pierre LeBrun's Athletic article this morning:

Other notes from around the league:

My understanding is that Sam Bennett’s camp spoke with Flames GM Brad Treliving a few days ago. This issue really dates back to last season when Bennett’s role and ice time led to frustration. Other teams inquired but Treliving refused to get into that. And that remains the same today. Treliving has zero intention of trading Bennett. There may come a time if things don’t improve that the Bennett camp puts more heat on this situation but as far as I can tell, the Flames GM strongly believes the answer lies in Bennett finding his way in Calgary and not anywhere else.
So, Lebrun is saying that Bennett's agent had another discussion with Treliving "a few days ago" about Bennett's role and ice time, which coincides with when we saw Bennett get some looks on the second line and based on yesterday's practice, will see Bennett start the next game on the second line. Hopefully Bennett steps up and seizes this opportunity.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #1910
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

James Neal 101 minutes

Together
CF% 51%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 4-5

Neal w/o Bennett
CF% 52%
SCF% 40%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-6

Bennett w/o Neal
CF% 57%
SCF% 56%
HD% 59%
Goal split 3-2

Together
CF% 49%
SCF% 52%
HD% 56%
Goal split 0-4

Jankowski w/o Bennett
CF% 53%
SCF% 50%
HD% 38%
Goal split 4-2

Bennett w/o Jankowski
CF% 57%
SCF% 57%
HD% 61%
Goal split 7-3

Derek Ryan 62 Minutes

Together
CF% 61%
SCF% 59%
HD% 63%
Goal split 3-1

Ryan w/o Bennett
CF% 50%
SCF% 48%
HD% 43%
Goal split 2-5

Bennett w/o Ryan
CF% 52%
SCF% 55%
HD% 58%
Goal split 4-6

Thanks, those stats are interesting. Would you be able to do the same for Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund and Tkachuk? Would be interesting to see if they perform better with Bennett as their linemate than when Lindholm, Frolik or even Ferland from last season are with them.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #1911
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I'm guessing (guessing, just guessing) that agents talk to GMs all the time, and most would push for a bigger role and more ice time etc.

So if that's the case this isn't news at all, unless you consider Treliving's firm not trading Bennett to be newsworthy.
Quote:
Sometimes things can be hashed out and understandings can be reached but any time an agent feels the need to essentially vent to a team about his client's role and is said to be unhappy, it's not a positive sign.
https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/n...rs-management/
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #1912
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So, Lebrun is saying that Bennett's agent had another discussion with Treliving "a few days ago" about Bennett's role and ice time, which coincides with when we saw Bennett get some looks on the second line and based on yesterday's practice, will see Bennett start the next game on the second line. Hopefully Bennett steps up and seizes this opportunity.
I highly doubt that is how it played out.

If GMs let discussions with players agents decide ice time we would be in a totally different and ridiculous world.

To me Lebrun is grasping at straws a little bit. I'd imagine that agents are talking to GMs regularly, and especially when the player needs a new contract at the end of the season.

Everything Bennett has done this season, aside from not finishing, has been positive and he has been a very impactful force game in game out.

Hopefully Tre isn't looking to move him at the end of the season
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #1913
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phagoof View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPxcXk0zfQQ

What happened to Bennett? His confidence has just been killed, he looks so different in his rookie season. Was it Glen?
Glen "Glue Gun" Gulutzan.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
IliketoPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:07 PM   #1914
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Timing doesn't really add up though does it?

His role has been increasing all season
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM   #1915
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Thanks, those stats are interesting. Would you be able to do the same for Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund and Tkachuk? Would be interesting to see if they perform better with Bennett as their linemate than when Lindholm, Frolik or even Ferland from last season are with them.
Since it's looking back a year and adding it to this I put them in duos

Backlund/Tkachuk have only played 8 minutes with Bennett in that time frame, too small to look at. Numbers are off the charts positive, but the sample size says throw out. No goals for or against together. Backund/Tkachuk are -2 in that time frame with all other linemates

Monahan/Gaudreau have 83 minutes with Bennett in the last year+. CF% is higher with Bennett, SCF% is higher with Bennett, and HD% is slightly less with Bennett. But they didn't score much and were -1 five on five (4-5). Gaudreau and Monahan are +16 with all other linemates.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2018, 06:57 PM   #1916
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I dunno. I don't think so.
If you call your own number and put the puck in the net, selfish is good.
If you call your own number and don't produce, selfish is no good.
How it's perceived is based on producing, not bias.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:24 PM   #1917
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

James Neal 101 minutes

Together

CF% 51%

SCF% 57%

HD% 61%

Goal split 4-5

Neal w/o Bennett

CF% 52%

SCF% 40%

HD% 38%

Goal split 4-6

Bennett w/o Neal

CF% 57%

SCF% 56%

HD% 59%

Goal split 3-2

Together

CF% 49%

SCF% 52%

HD% 56%

Goal split 0-4

Jankowski w/o Bennett

CF% 53%

SCF% 50%

HD% 38%

Goal split 4-2

Bennett w/o Jankowski

CF% 57%

SCF% 57%

HD% 61%

Goal split 7-3

Derek Ryan 62 Minutes

Together

CF% 61%

SCF% 59%

HD% 63%

Goal split 3-1

Ryan w/o Bennett

CF% 50%

SCF% 48%

HD% 43%

Goal split 2-5

Bennett w/o Ryan

CF% 52%

SCF% 55%

HD% 58%

Goal split 4-6

If he’s worse with Neal, Ryan and Jankowski he must be better with someone else. Who is that and why isn’t he playing with them more?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #1918
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If he’s worse with Neal, Ryan and Jankowski he must be better with someone else. Who is that and why isn’t he playing with them more?
Good point. Some guys on the team make everyone better, something that Backlund has historically done. But since we can’t ice a lineup designed to make Bennett better, maybe we should be happy he is helping guys like Ryan and Neal? If he plays more with better players, maybe he makes them worse?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #1919
funnymunk
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Is Bennett slower than he was when he first broke into the league? Or just not moving his feet as much..
funnymunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #1920
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I found my Sam Bennett comparable. He is a guy that does so much that doesn’t show on the scoreboard, an energy guy that can be moved up and down the line up, he is an integral piece necessary to win a cup, highly underrated because off his low offense, is often snake bitten around the net but every GM would take him….Andrew Cogliano. If we taper our expectations on Sam Bennett to fit this styalistic comparable we can all sleep better.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote