Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #1901
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Yeah, I’ve posted the percentage breakdown before, but the Flames could easily fit in a $10 million goalie.

We can afford a $10M goalie because we don’t have a Stamkos, Tavares, Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, etc.

We may very well need a $10M goalie because we don’t have any of those caliber players.
which goalies out there are worth 10m x 5+ years? Price maybe.

Paying a goalie like Bobrovski or Varlamov north of $8m would be a huge gamble. Better off trying to trade for Quick
Old 10-29-2018, 08:53 PM   #1902
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

Paying a goalie like Bobrovski or Varlamov north of $8m would be a huge gamble. Better off trying to trade for Quick
This is the sort of thinking that gets us to either one and done or drafting 13-16th overall.

Varlamov has been a .920+ guy 3 of the last 5 seasons, and he's at an unsustainable .950 now.

Sergei Bobrovsky has been .918 or better in 5 of the last 6 seasons. He's off to a slow start. But he's still Sergei Bobrovsky.

Either would be the 2nd best goalie the team has ever employed. There's two available; not getting one is a fireable offense. It's been five years; enough is enough. It's not a secret what ails this team. They need a ####ing tendy.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:58 PM   #1903
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
This is the sort of thinking that gets us to either one and done or drafting 13-16th overall.

Varlamov has been a .920+ guy 3 of the last 5 seasons, and he's at an unsustainable .950 now.

Sergei Bobrovsky has been .918 or better in 5 of the last 6 seasons. He's off to a slow start. But he's still Sergei Bobrovsky.

Either would be the 2nd best goalie the team has ever employed. There's two available; not getting one is a fireable offense. It's been five years; enough is enough. It's not a secret what ails this team. They need a ####ing tendy.
Yeah i hope they get one of those two goalies two; just not at a cost of $8m+ per year over a long-term deal.

I'd rather give up assets for an RFA thats younger like Toronto did or like Edmonton did or like Columbus did or like San Jose did or like Colorado did or like New Jersey did.

Or I'd rather give up assets for an older goalie under contract - I really like Quick's contract, for example.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:06 PM   #1904
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I would love either of those goalies.

But I dont think you put them ahead of Kipper and Vernon unless they win a cup here.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #1905
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
I would love either of those goalies.

But I dont think you put them ahead of Kipper and Vernon unless they win a cup here.
I think both Russians are more talented than Vernon. But, different eras; I don't think either Russian would fare well in a fight with Patrick Roy.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:00 AM   #1906
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

This is what you want to trade assets for instead of just a financial investment?

.Jonathan Quick - G
4 0 3 1 0 4.55 .845
The Following User Says Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2018, 09:19 PM   #1907
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino View Post
This is what you want to trade assets for instead of just a financial investment?

.Jonathan Quick - G
4 0 3 1 0 4.55 .845
Wow...cherry picking a 4 game sample size for a goalie that has an incredible 10 year track record of being elite? bush league
Old 10-30-2018, 09:40 PM   #1908
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow...cherry picking a 4 game sample size for a goalie that has an incredible 10 year track record of being elite? bush league
Quick has played 22 more games than Mike Smith and he's nearly four years younger. Plus another 85 playoff games. He's a high mileage goalie.

With that said, getting him at the end of the year from ages 33-37 at a cap hit of $5.8 is solid value. He won the Jennings last year.

I don't know why LA would trade him, especially in division, especially when they have no heir apparent. 36 year old Peter Budaj and former Flame Jack Campbell aren't gonna get it done.
Old 10-31-2018, 06:05 AM   #1909
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Quick has played 22 more games than Mike Smith and he's nearly four years younger. Plus another 85 playoff games. He's a high mileage goalie.

With that said, getting him at the end of the year from ages 33-37 at a cap hit of $5.8 is solid value. He won the Jennings last year.

I don't know why LA would trade him, especially in division, especially when they have no heir apparent. 36 year old Peter Budaj and former Flame Jack Campbell aren't gonna get it done.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:05 AM   #1910
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman View Post
Right, but they just signed Doughty to a massive deal, and Kopitar is still making $10M for the foreseeable future.

A goalie goes a long way to keeping fringe teams relevant, and any team with a Bergeron level centre, a Norris D and Conn Smythe/Jennings winning goalie has a shot when the rest of the team isn't ass.

LA wouldn't trade Quick unless they think he's part of the problem and they're going for one of the Russians.

In that case, I want one of the Russians. Quick should stay in LA. He looks weird in Flames silks in NHL11, and he'd look weird in real life.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #1911
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

bump
Old 11-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #1912
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Phagoof View Post
bump

Wow, you are terrible
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CMPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:19 PM   #1913
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not suggesting Treliving should be fired, to be clear.

But buying out Brouwer in order to free up cap space for James Neal could come back to haunt him and perhaps cost him his job.

Brouwer’s buyout and Neal are costing the Flames $7.2 million per for next four years. Flames have 3 goals and an assist to show for it, and a player who doesn’t drive the play.

Neal could write a good story for himself with a nice playoff run. But if things don’t turn around for him in a big way, I’d have preferred Brouwer and his $4+ cap hit for this year vs. the Neal contract and the Brouwer dead money.

Treliving has done a lot of good things no doubt. This has potential to be a very big and expensive black cloud.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #1914
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I’m not suggesting Treliving should be fired, to be clear.

But buying out Brouwer in order to free up cap space for James Neal could come back to haunt him and perhaps cost him his job.

Brouwer’s buyout and Neal are costing the Flames $7.2 million per for next four years. Flames have 3 goals and an assist to show for it, and a player who doesn’t drive the play.

Neal could write a good story for himself with a nice playoff run. But if things don’t turn around for him in a big way, I’d have preferred Brouwer and his $4+ cap hit for this year vs. the Neal contract and the Brouwer dead money.

Treliving has done a lot of good things no doubt. This has potential to be a very big and expensive black cloud.
Ryan is looking like a poor signing too. Not sure what happened, but his offence has dried up and his FO% has dropped nearly 8 percent. I like him on the PK though, so at least he has some value.

Neal, despite that beauty of a goal on the feed from Gaudreau, has been, let's face it, brutal. He looks slow, lazy and the shots aren't going in. He's supposed to be our #2 shot next to Monahan. It has been a total disaster so far. Imagine if he didn't score that goal? Would have been worthy season so far.

Tre has done some smart things, but some other things that are looking really dumb. He, like others have said, basically inherited this teams core and so far hasn't done much with it.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #1915
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Paging This Bump is Terrible.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #1916
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
bump
I thought the mods banned trolls around here....
Why don't you contribute or GTFO.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:37 PM   #1917
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Personally, I think that James Neal needs to play with a playmaker to be effective.

Backlund is a checker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #1918
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I thought the mods banned trolls around here....
Why don't you contribute or GTFO.
How about you read the next one two posts down? I'm constantly contributing in an OBJECTIVE matter on this forum.

Last edited by Phagoof; 11-11-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #1919
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nice cherry picking of one post. How about you read the next one 2 posts down? I'm constantly contributing in an OBJECTIVE matter on this forum.
I was commenting on that post specifically. Complete troll post and nothing but.

Granted, you follow up with a substantive post that questions some of Treliving's off season work. Less than 20 games into the season and I'd say your argument is a bit premature, but whatever. Its the bump with no commentary after a hard-fought loss that makes you a troll in my book.
Sorry if you don't like it.
The Following User Says Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #1920
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Personally, I think that James Neal needs to play with a playmaker to be effective.

Backlund is a checker.
I tjonk the idea there is that Tkachuk is a playmaker and the intent is the play Neal with Tkachuk. So far it hasnt worked though.
Closed Thread