Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2018, 11:03 AM   #1901
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I'd take both Rashford and Martial.
Which would be a brilliant coup. Giving Spurs the depth to compete every 3 days against top flight, vs once a week.

Jose needs to sit these two down, and show them the big picture. Imagine if the baby-faced assassin cried about playing time?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #1902
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Which would be a brilliant coup. Giving Spurs the depth to compete every 3 days against top flight, vs once a week.

Jose needs to sit these two down, and show them the big picture. Imagine if the baby-faced assassin cried about playing time?
young players are way more impatient than 20 years ago. You really can't compare that ... and Solskjaer was already 23 when he joined United. Different mentality and all. Martial sees how his minutes have diminished after Sanchez was brought in, and he also sees how De Bruyne and Salah did after leaving Mourinho. I hate young players being impatient as much as everybody else, but can you really blame him?
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #1903
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
young players are way more impatient than 20 years ago. You really can't compare that ... and Solskjaer was already 23 when he joined United. Different mentality and all. Martial sees how his minutes have diminished after Sanchez was brought in, and he also sees how De Bruyne and Salah did after leaving Mourinho. I hate young players being impatient as much as everybody else, but can you really blame him?
I agree with you, and it's just a problem everywhere with young players I think. It's not a question of whether they're good, because they are. But even looking at Spurs, how easy is it to find someone to sit on the bench for ~70 minutes and watch Kane score and then come on to mop up? Not very, and certainly not enticing, so players aren't wanting to do that.

It's slightly different at United, but not really. They're behind Lukaku/Sanchez etc. and want their shot. If they get time, it's playing against lower league competition in FA Cups or League Cups or whatever. I can see why looking elsewhere becomes more enticing.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #1904
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I agree with you, and it's just a problem everywhere with young players I think. It's not a question of whether they're good, because they are. But even looking at Spurs, how easy is it to find someone to sit on the bench for ~70 minutes and watch Kane score and then come on to mop up? Not very, and certainly not enticing, so players aren't wanting to do that.

It's slightly different at United, but not really. They're behind Lukaku/Sanchez etc. and want their shot. If they get time, it's playing against lower league competition in FA Cups or League Cups or whatever. I can see why looking elsewhere becomes more enticing.
I think a big factor for Martial is how his minutes have diminished under Mourinho. He played 4128 minutes in 49 games under van Gaal in 15/16 alone. Since then, he's only played 4599 minutes in 82 games under Mourinho. That's a staggering drop in playing time, and certainly worrysome when you're 22 and up against unbelievable competition in the French NT. Then you see Alexis coming in and it's only getting worse.

It really sucks, he's been one of my absolute favourites. They'll regret selling him for years.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #1905
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I imagine if he's sold there will be a buyback clause. You can understand why he wants out, especially since Mourinho targeting a veteran winger seems likely this summer.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #1906
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
I think a big factor for Martial is how his minutes have diminished under Mourinho. He played 4128 minutes in 49 games under van Gaal in 15/16 alone. Since then, he's only played 4599 minutes in 82 games under Mourinho. That's a staggering drop in playing time, and certainly worrysome when you're 22 and up against unbelievable competition in the French NT. Then you see Alexis coming in and it's only getting worse.

It really sucks, he's been one of my absolute favourites. They'll regret selling him for years.
You’re spinning your tires mate. Recall, your stance on Gundogan being a flop? Top flight clubs need depth. His first season, United depth was deplorable. Easy to earn those minutes.

Many players have left Mourinho, and not succeeded like those two. The entitlement of today’s young players, distorts the greater needs of the team and its depth. So yes, I can blame the selfishness, it’s what my first post did. He actually performs with better effectiveness (g/min), as a sub.

He leaves, he’s more Memphis, than a Salah.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 08:42 AM   #1907
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with a lot of stuff here, but you're looking at this purely from the club's perspective though. And that's fine, depth is extremely important. But you can't expect talented players to be 100 percent okay with being a part-time player.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #1908
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The accreditation panel awards the goal to Kane.

Great tweet from Paddy Power: A big well done to The Premier League Goal Accreditation Appeals Panel who have just saved the life of Harry Kane's daughter.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #1909
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

of course, they have to kneel before Englands golden boy. Surely wouldn't have given it to Salah, or Eriksen if the roles were reversed.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #1910
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
of course, they have to kneel before Englands golden boy. Surely wouldn't have given it to Salah, or Eriksen if the roles were reversed.
It just seems that for a guy that scores as much as Kane its a total jerk-move to your teammate.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #1911
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It just seems that for a guy that scores as much as Kane its a total jerk-move to your teammate.
some of those strikers are crazy egomaniacs. Lewandowski is pretty extreme too (e.g. blasted his teammates in the press last season for not "helping" him enough), and then of course there's Neymar and Cavani fighting over penalties. Kane probably doesn't care what Eriksen thinks.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #1912
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dont think martial is being impatient , rashford would be

The biggest problem a young player in the 19-24 age range can have is a lack of playing time, it can set back their careers, even if you have to take a step back, getting the playing time is more important and if jose wont give it he should leave

Its his own fault though, he never should have gone there, i get that you need to back yourself, but too many young players go to big clubs too early, and more often than not it sets back your career.
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #1913
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Its his own fault though, he never should have gone there, i get that you need to back yourself, but too many young players go to big clubs too early, and more often than not it sets back your career.
disagree, he was very good in his first year and played a ton of minutes. He couldn't have envisioned Rashford coming through the academy and Mourinho, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic and Alexis coming in a year or two later.

Last edited by devo22; 04-11-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #1914
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
disagree, he was very good in his first year and played a ton of minutes. He couldn't have envisioned Rashford coming through the academy and Mourinho, Lukaku, Ibrahimovic and Alexis coming in a year or two later.
That's kind of the point though, he probably should have envisioned it, United wasn't just not going to buy more players.

At the time United looked like it had lots of opportunity...but they are still a big world class team, so of course they are going to bring in competition and other players to compete for your minutes in attack.

If you're going to go to a "big" team you should probably understand you are potentially trading the promise of playing time & a guarantee on the first team for a higher salary & the chance to win titles.

I think it's 100% legitimate to say that players end up stalling in development sometimes because they bite off more than they chew by moving to a huge club at 20 years old.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #1915
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

no VAR next season. Cowards.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #1916
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no VAR next season. Cowards.
"Needs more study..."

Sure it does. Its going to be used at the World Cup.

I wonder how Man City voted.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:46 AM   #1917
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm generally happy with that decision. I think that if VAR was working as intended it would be great, but with the way it was rolled out in the FA Cup it was just ridiculous.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #1918
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

To not have VAR as mandatory for offsides at least is pathetic. I get reservations about it for fouls and penalties, but offside is black and white.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM   #1919
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
To not have VAR as mandatory for offsides at least is pathetic. I get reservations about it for fouls and penalties, but offside is black and white.
I'm not sure offside is black and white, look at hockey where we have a static blue line and offside is still disputed.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #1920
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I'm not sure offside is black and white, look at hockey where we have a static blue line and offside is still disputed.
And to add to this, I don't think anyone wants to see debates about players being an inch offside. The sheer silliness of the NHL reviews has just cemented that one for me. Players who are literally a few mm offside aren't ruining the game; the idiocy of holding up goal celebrations and enjoyment because of reviews and the quest for perfection are.

I would be onside with VAR if it was only used for egregious errors. Unfortunately though, it's not. It's been used in scenarios where there is nothing appearing egregious at all, and you're watching a game with no idea what they're even reviewing. Even after a VAR decision is made there is no explanation of what took place, why the decision was made or anything...it's just crazy.

And yeah, the world cup is using this. I can only imagine the outcry if the implementation is similar to what we have seen so far in the FA Cup.