Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2021, 12:36 AM   #1881
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another cop

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:03 AM   #1882
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn’t Captain America a conservative?

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #1883
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Another cop

How broadly do police and other military / para-military forces support Trump? It’s frightening to think that among all the security forces involved in inauguration security there are people that could flip and take some drastic inside action.

Interesting that Biden was assigned a new set of secret service agents including some he used before due to concerns about Trump loyalty among the existing presidential guard. Sounds like it’s not too unusual and maybe more about mask-wearing than assassination though.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-trump-loyalty
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:11 AM   #1884
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
How broadly do police and other military / para-military forces support Trump?
Trump has unwavering support in military and especially the police. I would put the military at 60/40, but the police at 95+ percent support. All of these people are trained to follow orders and accept the will of authoritarian structure. Trump, an authoritarian wannabe, is a perfect fixture for those with a military/paramilitary mindset to follow. He embraces the mentality and emboldens the bullies in these bodies to act out. They know he will forgive them for any transgression so long as they do it in his name, so they follow him and think he's the greatest thing like sliced bread.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #1885
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

The rot is so deep it extends to the secret service. Biden and team have to replace a bunch of Secret Service Trumpers out of fears they will let him die or assassinate him themselves.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:29 AM   #1886
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

In all fairness the secret service switching is pretty routine. The agents are intimately close with the family and so its understandable they want people they were familiar with. Especially with Biden having had SS protection in the past, my understanding is he brought back a lot of people he was already familiar with.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #1887
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

True. But I did read an article that specifically mentioned fears that several SS agents were hardcore trumpers and were considered a risk.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:35 AM   #1888
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
True. But I did read an article that specifically mentioned fears that several SS agents were hardcore trumpers and were considered a risk.
Fair. And the flip side to my point is that Trump selected SS agents around him that he liked. And its pretty obvious Trump wants yes men, so it would be pretty easy to imagine that the crew guarding Trump would not exactly be good candidates for Biden to augment his previous detail with.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:19 AM   #1889
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Trump has unwavering support in military and especially the police. I would put the military at 60/40, but the police at 95+ percent support.
That could be true. The only relevant poll I found so far confirmed 60% support for Trump amongst the military in a 2016 exit poll. Police unions have certainly overwhelmingly supported Trump, but it is hard to say if 95% of officers do. That seems very high.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
#-3
Old 01-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #1890
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and isn’t part of that “support trump” number actually “support <Republican president>”?
Old 01-15-2021, 08:29 AM   #1891
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That could be true. The only relevant poll I found so far confirmed 60% support for Trump amongst the military in a 2016 exit poll. Police unions have certainly overwhelmingly supported Trump, but it is hard to say if 95% of officers do. That seems very high.
Police and ex-police families I know turned from a mixed bag of anti-Trump and Trump tolerators to full on Trumpers when defund the police came a thing. Biden became the devil who was going defund the police force and let their brothers die. I'm sure this is much more prevalent in white cops though.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:43 AM   #1892
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In 2016 police polled at 86% in favor of Trump. That was before BLM and defund the police. I said 95% and felt I was being conservative. Even the most liberal cops I know, after spending over a decade in that sphere, are now Trumpers. It is downright scary.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #1893
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
In 2016 police polled at 86% in favor of Trump. That was before BLM and defund the police. I said 95% and felt I was being conservative. Even the most liberal cops I know, after spending over a decade in that sphere, are now Trumpers. It is downright scary.
65.5% of police are White in the US. 85.3% are male.

https://datausa.io/profile/soc/police-officers
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:49 AM   #1894
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/15/polit...als/index.html

Quote:
prosecutors in Texas court alleged that a retired Air Force reservist who carried plastic zip tie-like restraints on the Senate floor may have intended to restrain lawmakers.

"He loved Trump, every word. He listened to him. He felt like he was answering the call of our president," Chansley's attorney Al Watkins said. " My client wasn't violent. He didn't cross over any police lines. He didn't assault anyone." Watkins said Chansley also hopes for a presidential pardon
He didn't cross over police lines? How did he get into the capital?.

Also, good luck on that pardon. We keep thinking there is a "bridge too far" for Trump and time and time again, and then the bridge simply gets pushed to a new limit. However, if Trump pardoned this guy, I can't imagine the fall out.

Lawyer doesn't seem like... perhaps the best. I wonder if he is on CNN for his client or for himself? The only reason I could think it is in the client's interest is public support and to get Trump's attention?

Last edited by Mull; 01-15-2021 at 08:57 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:51 AM   #1895
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
65.5% of police are White in the US. 85.3% are male.

https://datausa.io/profile/soc/police-officers
I know it's sexist, but young women scampering around in their little cop outfits look so cute.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #1896
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not surprising, three players behind the January 6th cluster#### were Bannon, Stone, and Flynn.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/longtime-t...ry?id=75261028

I mentioned somewhere else that I have an acquaintance who is part of a three letter agency in the government, involved in psyops. They shared with me that the group behind Cambridge Analytica is also behind the "stop the steal" and the protest garbage. Steve Bannon was part of that group.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:21 AM   #1897
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I know it's sexist, but young women scampering around in their little cop outfits look so cute.
Sexist? Bro are you kidding?

There is nothing a female police officer loves more than when you complement them on how cute they look in their cop outfits. It really sets the stage for a memorable interaction between you and her.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2021, 09:33 AM   #1898
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Maybe just get the agents protecting the nepotism couple.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/14/polit...ice/index.html
Quote:
The US Secret Service is renting a small studio apartment in Washington, DC, near the home of Jared Kushner and Ivanka Trump, a source with knowledge of the service's activities told CNN on Thursday, in order for agents to use the bathroom and have office space.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:35 AM   #1899
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 09:39 AM   #1900
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...tages-75263364
Quote:
FORT WORTH, Texas -- A retired Air Force officer who was part of the mob that stormed the U.S. Capitol last week carried plastic zip-tie handcuffs because he intended “to take hostages,” a prosecutor said in a Texas court on Thursday.

“He means to take hostages. He means to kidnap, restrain, perhaps try, perhaps execute members of the U.S. government,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Weimer said of retired Lt. Col. Larry Rendall Brock Jr. without providing specifics.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote