Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2024, 12:25 PM   #1881
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Calgary isn't contending for anything in the next two years, people need to accept that.

Unless you are preparing to sign him to a long extension in 2 years (which would be foolish), you sell him while you can for the great return.
Next 5 or 6 more likely.
We really need to be patient and support this rebuild every way we can
All In Good Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:28 PM   #1882
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the logic with bringing up Andersson. Why trade a player before you are even allowed to talk to him about an extension. At least give the management team the opportunity to get a feel of the ask and see if it plays into their plan. Conroy did just fine with the pending UFAs.
Andersson's value is a lot higher with term left on his contract. The real question is do the Flames want to commit to a long term, high value contract when Andersson is 30. If the answer is no then shop him now.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:38 PM   #1883
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The return may be greater in two years though. If a great deal comes along now, sure. But there seems to be a rush to sell everyone all at once.

Maybe let Kylington grow another year before you leave the D with one veteran leader.
Posters are suggesting pick #11, another 1st and a 3rd.

It won't be greater than that LOL, not that you can get that now anyway.

You sell when the price is highest, because we shouldn't be signing him long term.

I'm afraid the Flames are keeping him to contend over the next few years.

They couldn't contend with the 5 UFA's they traded. I don't see how they can with their current tream with a few fill ins, especially if they move Marky.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:44 PM   #1884
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the flames could get great value for Andersson this offseason, I could see them signing a defenceman like Dumba in free agency. Obviously not as good as Andersson but still brings some veteran stability to the team. The flames could offer a little more money than other teams and offers Dumba the opportunity to play a top four role.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 12:55 PM   #1885
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The return may be greater in two years though. If a great deal comes along now, sure. But there seems to be a rush to sell everyone all at once.

Maybe let Kylington grow another year before you leave the D with one veteran leader.
I don't see how the value would be higher in 2 years.

How would the value for a 29 year old pending UFA rental Andersson be worth more than a 27 year old Andersson who has 2 years at $4.55M left (a bargain for a top pairing dman).

Of course the opportunity cost to that is you lose the ability to discuss an extension with him, and don't have him on the roster for the next two seasons.

But there is no doubt that right now would be his absolute peak value if you traded him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
If the flames could get great value for Andersson this offseason, I could see them signing a defenceman like Dumba in free agency. Obviously not as good as Andersson but still brings some veteran stability to the team. The flames could offer a little more money than other teams and offers Dumba the opportunity to play a top four role.
I still think there is a good chance that Chris Tanev re-signs here on July 1st.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 12:58 PM   #1886
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I highly doubt Andersson will be here for his next contract and even if that's what he wants do we want it? A 30 year old, 8 year contract is exactly what we need to start avoiding.

My dream scenario would be Tanev re-signing this summer and Andersson returning a haul.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 01:00 PM   #1887
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

IMO there is 0% chance that Tanev signs back here. he asked to be moved so he could chase a cup. Dallas is likely not going to accomplish that. Friedman had kept saying that the Sens would be going after Tanev in free agency. Not much chance at a cup there either but they'll still pay more than Calgary (and probably give him the term Calgary wouldn't) if he chooses that over a cup contender anyway.

So basically his options are
1. Chase a Cup
2. Chase the money
3. Calgary
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:01 PM   #1888
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way the Flames open a billion dollar arena with a bottom feeder team.

They will probably make signings, and trades to supplement the young players we accumulate of the next 2 years. Let's just hope we have some game breakers with those young guys, because signing them doesn't work out.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:03 PM   #1889
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

I consider trading Andersson when his current contract is up. Until then I think he is still very much an asset to the Flames, he is a guy that young guys can look up to. Flames fans really seem to underestimate Andersson if they think he's a #5 on the Sabres. Dahlin is the only guy I think is clearly ahead of him. Power and Byram may end up topping out as better d-men than Andersson, but think the jury is still out.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:04 PM   #1890
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
No way the Flames open a billion dollar arena with a bottom feeder team.

They will probably make signings, and trades to supplement the young players we accumulate of the next 2 years. Let's just hope we have some game breakers with those young guys, because signing them doesn't work out.
You are probably correct, although I think they'll eventually have to become a bottom feeder team if they try to retool.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:05 PM   #1891
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Andersson now. His value is probably at it's highest, and a player like him will likely not age well with a long term deal at age 30.

Not only that the asset we get back for him gets some time to mature. I can't see us making futures trades in the offseason before the new arena. We will be adding.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:08 PM   #1892
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I don't see how the value would be higher in 2 years.

How would the value for a 29 year old pending UFA rental Andersson be worth more than a 27 year old Andersson who has 2 years at $4.55M left (a bargain for a top pairing dman).

Of course the opportunity cost to that is you lose the ability to discuss an extension with him, and don't have him on the roster for the next two seasons.

But there is no doubt that right now would be his absolute peak value if you traded him.

I still think there is a good chance that Chris Tanev re-signs here on July 1st.
Because this wasn't his best year. Because identical picks next year might be in a better crop of prospects. Because different teams will come calling - who knows who they will be?

You are pretty absolutist here. Was the market better or worse for Tanev last year than this year? Or Zadorov? Or Toffoli?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:14 PM   #1893
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
IMO there is 0% chance that Tanev signs back here. he asked to be moved so he could chase a cup. Dallas is likely not going to accomplish that. Friedman had kept saying that the Sens would be going after Tanev in free agency. Not much chance at a cup there either but they'll still pay more than Calgary (and probably give him the term Calgary wouldn't) if he chooses that over a cup contender anyway.

So basically his options are
1. Chase a Cup
2. Chase the money
3. Calgary
He likes it here and has a house here. I think the trade was mutual, Flames wanted an asset and he wanted a playoff run.

He let Hanley live in his house for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:20 PM   #1894
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tanev can just keep signing 1 year deals for 6 million and the Flames can keep trading him with retention if they suck at the deadline !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2024, 01:23 PM   #1895
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember it being insinuated right from the get go that Tanev would probably return to Calgary in the off season, but some folks would say that he'd rather chase a cup.

Well he can still chase a cup by being traded at the deadline again, and that way he knows for sure he's landing on a contender.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM   #1896
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I remember it being insinuated right from the get go that Tanev would probably return to Calgary in the off season, but some folks would say that he'd rather chase a cup.
He said he wanted to go to a contender. Conroy has said this was in their discussions before the deadline.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM   #1897
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He likes it here and has a house here. I think the trade was mutual, Flames wanted an asset and he wanted a playoff run.

He let Hanley live in his house for the rest of the season. I wouldn't be shocked if he came back.
During garbage bag day Backlund mentioned he thought Tanev was close to signing before the season started. Pretty good indication there is a chance he is back with the Flames in the off-season.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:32 PM   #1898
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
He said he wanted to go to a contender. Conroy has said this was in their discussions before the deadline.
Yes, he wanted to go to a contender in the context of "hey, Chris, we're definitely trading you this deadline". That's not the same as Tanev approaching the Flames himself and saying he's tired of playing here and wants a trade to a contender.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:34 PM   #1899
jayswin

Exp:

If he requested a trade because he wanted to chase a Cup then I'd say no dice to signing back in Calgary, but being forced away after he built a new house and loves living here? I'd imagine that door is wide open and a very real possibility.

Only thing from a Flames perspective is I don't think he'd want to uproot mid season again, so if he did sign here it would be 2-3 year deal with a NTC so he could completely control his situation.

"I'll sign in Calgary, but you guys only get to send me away for a haul once, now I just want to stay in town and play for the Flames until the contract is done".

Last edited by jayswin; 04-25-2024 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:37 PM   #1900
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yes, he wanted to go to a contender in the context of "hey, Chris, we're definitely trading you this deadline". That's not the same as Tanev approaching the Flames himself and saying he's tired of playing here and wants a trade to a contender.
He didn't request a trade, but he also said he wont sign and wanted to go chase cup. This is what he said after the trade.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good