Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #1861
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Easy to see why the Liberal vote is slipping to the NDP. Who runs on a deficit budget!?
Trudeau seems to think that calling it investment will fool enough people.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:15 PM   #1862
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
I thought mulclair was much better than Trudeau, but Harper was easily the winner as he didn't need to land any knock out punches and came across as the most prime ministerial by far.

Easy to see why the Liberal vote is slipping to the NDP. Who runs on a deficit budget!?

I think it's the CPC vote that's been slipping NDP, no?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #1863
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Mr. Harper's recession" - Mulcair

This is the kind of political BS I can't stand.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #1864
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Any way to see a replay? Couldn't catch it live
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #1865
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought mulclair was much better than Trudeau, but Harper was easily the winner as he didn't need to land any knock out punches and came across as the most prime ministerial by far.

HAHA. What are you talking about? Have you failed to pay attention to the past few weeks of polling? All we've seen is the Liberals gaining ground and taking NDP/CPC votes. This is wishful thinking at its finest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #1866
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Can we have the consortium debates back please? Terrible presentation and being just online and on CPAC basically means that nobody except us PoliSci geeks will see it in anything but clip form.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #1867
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Trudeau seems to think that calling it investment will fool enough people.
Trudeau doesn't understand that cheap money is why we have record housing prices and the resulting debt levels with Canadians.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #1868
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Trudeau doesn't understand that cheap money is why we have record housing prices and the resulting debt levels with Canadians.
So what would you do here Dion? On one hand you're saying the Harper doesn't understand because raising rates will cause a crash, and on the other hand you say Trudeau doesn't recognize that cheap money is the problem. So what's the solution?

I think that the BoC has a very difficult issue coming down the pipe. Manufacturing will pick up with cheap oil and a lower CAD. This should spur inflation...but of course in Alberta raising rates is the last thing we need. Extremely difficult decision IMO.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #1869
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Similar to Harper blaming Notley for Alberta's economic shortcomings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #1870
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well this is a self-made problem for the CPC. They wanted to take all the credit for the recovery from the financial crisis, and attribute everything to them. Now that we have a recession in Canada (which may already be over), they wear that as well.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:31 PM   #1871
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So what would you do here Dion? On one hand you're saying the Harper doesn't understand because raising rates will cause a crash, and on the other hand you say Trudeau doesn't recognize that cheap money is the problem. So what's the solution?

I think that the BoC has a very difficult issue coming down the pipe. Manufacturing will pick up with cheap oil and a lower CAD. This should spur inflation...but of course in Alberta raising rates is the last thing we need. Extremely difficult decision IMO.
Borrowing money recklessly just to win an election seems to be the message i'm getting from Trudeau. Investing in infrastucture has to be done in a responable manner that doesn't incur heavy debt loads for future generations.

How many people factor in possible rate increases when considering how much they can afford to borrow? That's my problem with Harper and his housing comment. Imagine if interest rates jumped 2-3%.....

Last edited by Dion; 09-17-2015 at 08:38 PM. Reason: more added
Old 09-17-2015, 08:36 PM   #1872
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
Similar to Harper blaming Notley for Alberta's economic shortcomings.
If you listen to anything Alberta's fiance minister Joe Ceci says you should be very very afraid. When it comes to business interests the Alberta NDP have no clue what they are doing. Zero.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 08:37 PM   #1873
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Borrowing money recklessly just to win an election seems to be the message i'm getting from Trudeau. Investing in infrastucture has to be done in a responable manner that doesn't incur heavy debt loads for future generations.
Yeah and I don't disagree, but we're not talking about a huge debt. I mean $10B is more money than you or I could scrape together, but its nowhere near the deficits we've seen in the past 4-5 years either. With borrowing as cheap as it is today there isn't really a better time, and particularly when you factor in the current state of the economy.

Add in that many of the projects are definitely needs, and you have a pretty effective policy. Its purely my opinion, but Mulcair screwed this policy up. He has to try to explain how he will pay for all the goodies he's promising, and honestly, no one believes that he can balance the budget. Its akin to Harper in 2008 when he also took a deficit off the table (which was forced back on of course).
Old 09-17-2015, 08:45 PM   #1874
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah and I don't disagree, but we're not talking about a huge debt. I mean $10B is more money than you or I could scrape together, but its nowhere near the deficits we've seen in the past 4-5 years either. With borrowing as cheap as it is today there isn't really a better time, and particularly when you factor in the current state of the economy.

Add in that many of the projects are definitely needs, and you have a pretty effective policy. Its purely my opinion, but Mulcair screwed this policy up. He has to try to explain how he will pay for all the goodies he's promising, and honestly, no one believes that he can balance the budget. Its akin to Harper in 2008 when he also took a deficit off the table (which was forced back on of course).
I hope and pray Canadians don't buy what Mulcair is selling. His explanations of how he's going to pay for his promises don't add up. Sadly many Canadians don't think that way. Just imagine how many working parents will vote for the NDP soley based on his national daycare program.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #1875
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I think that many people actually read the Alberta NDP's budget, but they did run on a deficit budget (that didn't add up) and won.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:04 PM   #1876
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, the NDP are too, really; they're just lying about it.

Anyway, just to type out my thoughts somewhere so I can crystallize them, this thread seems to be a reasonable place.

Trudeau: I really dislike this guy. His cutting off of the other two, his interjections while they were speaking, really annoyed me. I kept wanting the moderator to tell him to pipe down and wait his turn.

He also frequently gives the impression that he doesn't quite grasp the issue he's talking about, as if someone has explained it to him and how he should present it, but he hasn't entirely absorbed it.

You also could have played a drinking game with that "worst record since ww2 and depression" line he used. There was a lot of that kind of rhetorical fluff and particularly early in the debate, very little substance offered.

That said, I do not usually decide who I'm voting for on whether I like the leader, and I won't this time, either. I have no conceptual issue with deficit spending in a recession, especially on infrastructure. I'm inclined to agree. What I'd like to hear is a plan besides that for after what his "optimism" states is going to be a recovery by I guess 2019. Okay, the roads are fixed... what now? That's less a criticism and more of an "I like the concept in theory, but it needs more". I need to read the platform, obviously, but what he was stressing as important to him, I was on board with. I also liked the overriding message of being flexible in terms of leaving certain issues to provinces.

Mulcair: Way less of the "creepy" factor than in the first debate, though it started to come back towards the end. A lot of his answers had great delivery and great pacing (as opposed to some of Trudeau's which felt rushed and less organized in comparison). I really thought that in the sense of debate performance he probably won the thing. Had a few good sound bites thrown in, to boot. Overall, he sounded like a guy with a firm grasp of the issues and his party's position on how to approach them.

Unfortunately, I totally hate a lot of the policy message. First, this "stock option loophole" isn't a loophole, it's a policy-based provision that treats options consistently with their character. The gain is deferred until it's realized, that reflects reality. It's not a loophole if it's intentional. The NDP answer here is unabashedly, "raise more revenue by doing away with this, at the expense of fairness". The other side of that is, there is no way that change to the tax act raises the revenues he wants. Trudeau is clearly right about what's going to happen if they get into office - "Oh, the situation is worse than we thought, we ARE going to have to run a deficit after all". I don't think much of the child care policies, strongly dislike the minimum wage and think the energy plan sounds like a disaster. Again, I'll read the platform but from what I'm hearing (and to be fair you can't give a detailed economic plan in a debate format) it is not sounding likely that I'll vote for these guys.

Harper: Someone above said "Harper was Harper", which about sums it up. Generally what he says strikes me as reasonable, even if cast in a favourable light for his party, and the criticisms of his opponents also struck me as generally fair. It didn't hurt that he also seemed like the only guy unwilling to interrupt or talk over his opponents. That being said, I can't think of a single really good moment for him. It was his usual sort of bland, I-can't-find-anything-to-complain-about-here-but-neither-am-I-moved performance. He gave no impression that there were any brilliant new ideas coming to spur the economy or anything of the sort, it was just even keeled, steady as she goes "prudence is the best option" stuff. I have no reason to expect anything but "more of the same" here.

I'm still not totally decided, but I don't know that a debate like that can really be expected to change anyone's position substantially. It was more or less a tie. I would say for me, of the three, Trudeau performed the worst but on an economy-based debate he may still have exceeded expectations relative to the other two and won on handicap. No earth-shaking moves will result from this, in my estimation.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 09:21 PM   #1877
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I came out really disliking Mulcair, creepy demeanour, bad jokes, and a pretty inappropriate jab at JT. I love how he brought up his stupid daycare plan when asked about Millenials affording homes, as if subsidizing other peoples kids is going to help any of us in that regard.

Definitely leaning conservative, although I've come to respect JT more. I like how straight up he is about running deficits, there's no way in hell the NDP doesn't run a deficit with all their goodies.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:23 PM   #1878
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Thanks for the synopsis CHL. Some interesting points and ideas in there.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #1879
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you listen to anything Alberta's fiance minister Joe Ceci says you should be very very afraid. When it comes to business interests the Alberta NDP have no clue what they are doing. Zero.
Based on what? 4 months of power? Get real.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #1880
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trudeau was really trying for some knockout punches. I don't feel he landed any but you can tell he is smelling blood from being back in the race. I think the venue played a roll in his strategy though. He couldn't look meek in a conservative stronghold. It was a little much at times.

I really don't have an opinion on Mulcair. He is a pretty vanilla debater, aside from his couple of wise-cracks.

Harper is pretty strong in these. He is typically calm and his experience really shows.

I don't feel any of them are so terrible that I wouldn't vote for them if I liked their message (or vice versa).