Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2024, 01:01 PM   #1841
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis_D View Post
I hope Buffalo comes sniffing around for a goalie. In light of hiring Ruff yesterday we now know their management isn't thinking clearly at the moment.
Why do you think Buffalo would come knocking?

-Puukkonen is 25 years old & was great this past year and emerged as a #1 Goalie with .910 sv %.
-Levi had growing pains but will be fine for 30 games and is 22 years old.

The only real need Buffalo has (beyond a good coach) is some high-motor, veteran grit in the bottom 6 (Coleman is really the only option we have for this and I doubt he would go to Buffalo). No need for Markstrom. No need for Anderson.
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:27 PM   #1842
Lewis_D
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

-Puukkonen is 25 years old & was great this past year and emerged as a #1 Goalie with .910 sv %.

The only real need Buffalo has (beyond a good coach) is some high-motor, veteran grit in the bottom 6 (Coleman is really the only option we have for this and I doubt he would go to Buffalo). No need for Markstrom. No need for Anderson.
Well, it was more just a tongue & cheek observation about how Buffalo is getting very desperate if they're resorting to hiring Ruff and now would be the time to pounce on an org not thinking straight.

But I still think there could still be a scenario where they ship Luukkonen for assets and that bottom 6 depth you mention, knowing Levi is the long term plan and then bring in an established #1 in the short term to mentor Levi and also to steady this crease in attempt to make the playoffs.
Lewis_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 01:32 PM   #1843
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkhouser View Post

Still think they could use an Andersson.

Power, Byram, Dahlin, Samuelsson are all LH shots and very young. They could use a younger, but more experience top 4 RH dman for sure.

Dahlin - Andersson
Samuelsson - Power
Byram - Jokiharju
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:01 PM   #1844
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the potential is there to acquire a second pick in the top 10 of this draft, I hope Conroy makes a competitive bid for it. I would consider trading any of the teams players for that pick with the exceptions of Zary, Coronato, Wolf, Kyllington, Backlund and Weegar. And I would also be willing to include multiple 2nd round picks from this draft and Vancouver’s 1st round pick.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:14 PM   #1845
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
If the potential is there to acquire a second pick in the top 10 of this draft, I hope Conroy makes a competitive bid for it. I would consider trading any of the teams players for that pick with the exceptions of Zary, Coronato, Wolf, Kyllington, Backlund and Weegar. And I would also be willing to include multiple 2nd round picks from this draft and Vancouver’s 1st round pick.
Andersson is the only player that could get a top 15 pick IMO
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:18 PM   #1846
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Andersson is the only player that could get a top 15 pick IMO
Agreed. And there is potential for that to happen if Ottawa is desperate enough. He is exactly what they need for their defence. But I don’t think Andersson is enough to get 7th overall. Maybe though.

Who says no in this scenario:

To Calgary:
7th overall

To Ottawa:
Andersson
Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick
Calgary’s 2024 2nd round pick

Last edited by stemit14; 04-24-2024 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:22 PM   #1847
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. And there is potential for that to happen if Ottawa is desperate enough. He is exactly what they need for their defence. But I don’t think Andersson is enough to get 7th overall. Maybe though.

Who says no in this scenario:

To Calgary:
7th overall

To Ottawa:
Andersson
Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick
Calgary’s 2024 2nd round pick
I see no need to add our 2nd round pick.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #1848
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
I see no need to add our 2nd round pick.
I see zero need to add the Vancouver, nor the Flames 2nd.

Rasmus Andersson is worth that pick by himself.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:34 PM   #1849
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

I would be very happy if the flames could get 7th overall for Andersson one-for-one. And you might be right. It’s very tough to get teams to trade first round picks at the draft… and even more difficult to get teams to trade first round picks in the top ten. This is the moment when draft picks are at their highest value and teams hang on to those picks tightly.

From the sounds of it, Conroy was ready and willing to trade some of the 2024 UFA players at the draft last year but no one had any appetite to do it.

I figure including Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick and Calgary’s 2nd round pick gives enough incentive to make the trade happen on draft day… Ottawa still gets to make a pick in the first round and gets a top 2/3 defenceman on a good contract. Probably an overpay by the flames but it will likely take an overpay to get 7th overall on draft day.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:35 PM   #1850
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Seems reasonable. Conroy said how hard it is to get picks, now we have them we can't give them away.

Need to change course from the Treliving area in giving picks away. The trade for that San Jose defenceman was unnecessary.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:47 PM   #1851
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I would be very happy if the flames could get 7th overall for Andersson one-for-one. And you might be right. It’s very tough to get teams to trade first round picks at the draft… and even more difficult to get teams to trade first round picks in the top ten. This is the moment when draft picks are at their highest value and teams hang on to those picks tightly.

From the sounds of it, Conroy was ready and willing to trade some of the 2024 UFA players at the draft last year but no one had any appetite to do it.

I figure including Vancouver’s 2024 1st round pick and Calgary’s 2nd round pick gives enough incentive to make the trade happen on draft day… Ottawa still gets to make a pick in the first round and gets a top 2/3 defenceman on a good contract. Probably an overpay by the flames but it will likely take an overpay to get 7th overall on draft day.
We shouldn't have to incentivize any team when trading a 27 year old, top pairing, right handed defensemen.

Previous management in Ottawa has set the market for these types of deals.

Jacob Chychrun returned the 12th overall pick and two seconds despite having a public trade request, and serious injury concerns. He has also never recorded a 50 point season. Rasmus has two.

Alex Debricant returned the 7th overall pick, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Both those players only had two guaranteed years of team control just as Rasmus currently does.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 02:49 PM   #1852
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ottawa traded the 7th pick for Debrincat and has regretted it ever since. And Debrincat was young.

I don't think they will double down on that strategy.

And its debatable that Andersson is considered a top pairing dman based on his play this year. I believe he'd be considered a 3-4 dman my most good teams in the league. And he wouldn't be getting top pairing minutes in Ottawa, nor PP time. I think the 7th pick is simply too high a price to pay for a player who would not be considered a core player on their team.

Although your value is likely there, the 7th pick in this draft is simply too good to pass up. They'll land a dman who should be ready to play steady minutes within a year. By that time, Andersson will be getting close to needing an extension at an age that most teams would prefer to pass on.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 02:49 PM   #1853
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Ottawa will need to add. 2nds would be fine.
Old 04-24-2024, 02:52 PM   #1854
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
We shouldn't have to incentivize any team when trading a 27 year old, top pairing, right handed defensemen.

Jacob Chychrun returned the 12th overall pick and two seconds despite having a public trade request, and serious injury concerns. He has also never recorded a 50 point season. Rasmus has two.

Both those players only had two guaranteed years of team control just as Rasmus currently does.
Good point. Those are good comparisons. Would love to see a move like this… especially if there are any doubts about Andersson wanting to stay beyond the two years left on his contract.
Old 04-24-2024, 03:00 PM   #1855
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Or the market went those turned out to be terrible deals the previous management team in Ottawa made and should not be considered as part of the market now.
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:07 PM   #1856
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Seems reasonable. Conroy said how hard it is to get picks, now we have them we can't give them away.

Need to change course from the Treliving area in giving picks away. The trade for that San Jose defenceman was unnecessary.
Trading for 23 year old former 2nd round pick Okhotyuk was not nearly as bad as Treliving waiving Brad Richardson, only to trade for his replacement the next day in Ryan Carpenter.

Agree, however, not sure what they see in Okhotyuk. They picked up better D off waivers in Pachal and Hanley, and likely could have got him or similar player on waivers in October. No need to waste draft picks, even if only a 5th on waiver-level players
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 03:43 PM   #1857
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't see Ottawa doing that. They can draft a D man at #7 that has a higher ceiling than Andersson and is cost controlled for years.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 03:48 PM   #1858
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I can't see Ottawa doing that. They can draft a D man at #7 that has a higher ceiling than Andersson and is cost controlled for years.
True. The hope is that they are desperate to improve right now as it’s unlikely the player they pick at 7 will be at Andersson’s level until at least 3-4 years from now. Brady Tkachuk only has 4 years left on his deal… that might be enough of a pressure point to make them make a move to improve for the short term.
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2024, 04:09 PM   #1859
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
they've been doing that for a while now
Old 04-24-2024, 04:15 PM   #1860
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
they've been doing that for a while now
No they haven't.

They haven't had a 1st round pick since 2021. And that was 10thOA.

Their first puck last year was in the 4th round.

Edit: unless you meant they've been tradings 1sts for a while now. In that case yes, you're right.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 04-24-2024 at 04:17 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good