Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2022, 04:51 AM   #1841
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I think this board might be missing how much of an issue housing affordability is for the under 35 population in major Canadian cities
Here's the thing. That demographic is also pro-vaccination, anti-social conservatism, and increasingly resistant to trickle-down economics. PP can say all the right things about housing affordability, but how many young adults will consider him more consider him more credible on that file than, say, the NDP?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 05:02 AM   #1842
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1568766952763494400
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:16 AM   #1843
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
A survey of 1,749 Canadians (probably old people who answer their phone to do this research) is meaningless.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 06:26 AM   #1844
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Well, I don't actually mind Trudeau. Guess he'll be Prime Minister till 2030 or so.
A lot can change between now and the next election but I am getting a feeling Poilievre could be the next PM. Most of the time when a new PM is elected it's not because he's anything special and more because the outgoing party just ran their course and I really do think the a lot of Canadians are ready to turn the page on Trudeau. It's been there for the taking for the last two elections but the CP couldn't get out of their own way but Poilievre has a lot more personality than Scheer and O'Toole. He may be able to resonate with more voters. Time will tell.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 06:44 AM   #1845
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
It really comes down to whether or not you can look past the social issues or not.

I find that like many, I don't align with any political figure or party, as sad as it is, I'm looking for competence and not bat#### crazy.

You could make an argument that Polliviere could form a fairly fiscally competent government. Perhaps more-so than the liberals. But as long as he's hobnobbing with truck convoyers, and drawing from the Trump republican playbook, it's a hard no from me.
First off, Conservatives never form fiscally competent governments. They cut taxes, claim their is no money for services, then cut those, and we still get a deficit, but with the bonus of ####tier services. They'll fill in financial holes by selling off whatever assets they can find. This is their way.

Second, really? Pierre? The guy who wants to open up our financial systems to Bitcoin, the scamiest hive of criminality the internet has yet created? He wants to undermine the BoC, with no proposal of an alternative. Just BoC baaad. I don't think he has any clue about details, nor does he care. Rah rah down with the elite is about as deep as his thoughts go.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:45 AM   #1846
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Since Kinsella has been a favourite amongst the Conservatives here for his criticisms of Trudeau, might at well see his quick take on PP:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1569143331455729664
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:02 AM   #1847
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still my favourite description of PP.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1214114829268590592
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #1848
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Here's the thing. That demographic is also pro-vaccination, anti-social conservatism, and increasingly resistant to trickle-down economics. PP can say all the right things about housing affordability, but how many young adults will consider him more consider him more credible on that file than, say, the NDP?
You might want to check the data on vaccination. Younger Canadians are actually more likely to be vaccine hesitant or resistant than older Canadians, and more likely to oppose the restrictions that were imposed over Covid. But regardless, vaccines and Covid measures are receding as a political issue, and by the time the next federal election rolls around I doubt it will be a major factor in how people cast their ballots.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-12-2022 at 08:14 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:15 AM   #1849
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
First off, Conservatives never form fiscally competent governments. They cut taxes, claim their is no money for services, then cut those, and we still get a deficit, but with the bonus of ####tier services. They'll fill in financial holes by selling off whatever assets they can find. This is their way.

Second, really? Pierre? The guy who wants to open up our financial systems to Bitcoin, the scamiest hive of criminality the internet has yet created? He wants to undermine the BoC, with no proposal of an alternative. Just BoC baaad. I don't think he has any clue about details, nor does he care. Rah rah down with the elite is about as deep as his thoughts go.
It certainly won't be pretty trying to cleanup the Trudeau liberal mess, I don't envy any government that follows a Trudeau government.

You really think BoC has been doing a great job worthy of massive bonuses and no accountability? When people fail at important jobs there needs to be accountability not reward.

You guys need to stop with the Bitcoin and convoy garbage arguments, those are so twisted and over done, can't you think up something new to divide Canadians on?
StickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:19 AM   #1850
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMan View Post
It certainly won't be pretty trying to cleanup the Trudeau liberal mess, I don't envy any government that follows a Trudeau government.

You really think BoC has been doing a great job worthy of massive bonuses and no accountability? When people fail at important jobs there needs to be accountability not reward.

You guys need to stop with the Bitcoin and convoy garbage arguments, those are so twisted and over done, can't you think up something new to divide Canadians on?
LOL. "You guys need to stop pointing out all these mistakes in judgment he has made, his next ones will be great, I promise!"

This has nothing to do with dividing Canadians, it's a warning against supporting a populous pinhead. Tell me this, when was the last time a populist leader anywhere turned out good for the country?
Old 09-12-2022, 08:26 AM   #1851
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. "You guys need to stop pointing out all these mistakes in judgment he has made, his next ones will be great, I promise!"

This has nothing to do with dividing Canadians, it's a warning against supporting a populous pinhead. Tell me this, when was the last time a populist leader anywhere turned out good for the country?
You need to quit labeling people and trying to find wedge issues to get people upset about. I think Canada is sick of alll the constant left-wing hate, attacks and divisiveness. If you want to point out peoples mistakes, there is this guy named Trudeau whose entire career is mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake ...
Old 09-12-2022, 08:27 AM   #1852
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Poilievre has a lot more personality than Scheer and O'Toole. He may be able to resonate with more voters. Time will tell.

Lol, you can't be serious. Poilievre is a far-right nutbag with zero charisma, and I don't see how that will resonate with anyone except other far-right nutbags.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #1853
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You need to quit labeling people and trying to find wedge issues to get people upset about. I think Canada is sick of alll the constant left-wing hate, attacks and divisiveness. If you want to point out peoples mistakes, there is this guy named Trudeau whose entire career is mistake after mistake after mistake after mistake ...
and bow to your Emperor as he is going to be making mistake after mistake for the next 10 years
Old 09-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #1854
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Lol, you can't be serious. Poilievre is a far-right nutbag with zero charisma, and I don't see how that will resonate with anyone except other far-right nutbags.
These are the hail marys the right is lobbing up so they can sleep at night..

Also PP has the whiniest voice in the commons. He sounds like a rightwing Dave Randorf.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #1855
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

PP is pretty unknown - he does have a chance to define himself over the next few years. But I suspect his best chance to winning is just to have Trudeau and the Liberals become unpalatable to the rest of the country and he can win a protest vote - which is not a completely unlikely thing.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:32 AM   #1856
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You do realize that a lot of people who disagree with you don’t like Trudeau right?

Perhaps you could consider pointing out specifically how Pierre will perform better than he instead of vaguely arguing that everything Trudeau does is wrong. Should be easy if Pierre is as good as you’re boasting.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #1857
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
PP is pretty unknown - he does have a chance to define himself over the next few years. But I suspect his best chance to winning is just to have Trudeau and the Liberals become unpalatable to the rest of the country and he can win a protest vote - which is not a completely unlikely thing.
Oh he has no chance with the crap he has spewed already.

Even the right on here knows the Libs are gold with attack ads. 2X4 is going to get slaughtered on the air waves.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:34 AM   #1858
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are worried about labels and divisiveness, that's what Pierre thrives on. It's all he knows, all he has ever known. Sometimes I wonder if people like you pay attention at all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #1859
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You might want to check the data on vaccination. Younger Canadians are actually more likely to be vaccine hesitant or resistant than older Canadians, and more likely to oppose the restrictions that were imposed over Covid. But regardless, vaccines and Covid measures are receding as a political issue, and by the time the next federal election rolls around I doubt it will be a major factor in how people cast their ballots.
COVID, vaccination and restrictions likely will be long forgotten by next election with the exception of the results/findings of the Emergency Act inquiry. That report could be pretty fresh when the next election happens and it could definitely be a very polarizing and politically charged wedge.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:36 AM   #1860
StickMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you are worried about labels and divisiveness, that's what Pierre thrives on. It's all he knows, all he has ever known. Sometimes I wonder if people like you pay attention at all.
I don't think I've ever seen you so upset, Pierre has really gotten to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to StickMan For This Useful Post: