Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2014, 09:44 AM   #1841
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
So I recall seeing a plan to change/fix DF northbound coming up to the Southland interchange but dont remember when or if that was scheduled. Also not sure if that was Provincial as it had to do with DF. Any info?
Yeah, best to check with Alberta Transportation as Deerfoot is theirs.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #1842
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
No. No fun allowed.
It's more a Shelbyville idea anyway.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 09:49 AM   #1843
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do most communities have local improvements done on an annual basis? We got notice that our alley is being paved last fall, and I'm hoping it's done this year. Just wondering if they'll wait for enough work to come up in the area to justify mobilizing the equipment and men.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM   #1844
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was walking along the Bow River pathway yesterday afternoon towards 14th Street and I saw a CPS boat cruising down the river. This made me wonder if the Bow River is capable of possibly handling some sort of river cruise boat along the western portion of the river. I know the river isn't very deep and has some massive sand/gravel bars so maybe the feasibility of doing boat cruises is very slim.

If it was possible though it would be cool to have a boat running from the Bearspaw Dam down to the weir. Maybe have a few stops like Bowness Park, Prince's Island Park and the Zoo. It could operate party cruises or cocktail cruises in the evenings on weekends.

I know a lot of cities around the world have these types of river boats (including Winnipeg) but the rivers are also more substantial than the Bow.

Has this sort of idea ever been floated around the City offices?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #1845
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey Bunk, while we are on the topic of road improvements/fixes, I know when I moved to Thorncliff a year ago, I was told by my realtor that there was a plan to fix MckNight between deerfoot and where it turns to become John Laurie. ...I can't seem to find info on that...Can you point me in the direction to see what the plan/timeline for something like this would be?

TIA.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #1846
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
No, no fun allowed.
I just saw that even Edmonton has a river boat cruise.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #1847
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I was walking along the Bow River pathway yesterday afternoon towards 14th Street and I saw a CPS boat cruising down the river.
CPS doesn't have a boat. Must have been the CFD.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:31 AM   #1848
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Incorrect, CPS Marine 1 is back after taking the year off last year.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 AM   #1849
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

CPS has a floating Presidential helicopter?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #1850
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Incorrect, CPS Marine 1 is back after taking the year off last year.
It was definitely a CPS boat. It was silver/black with red and blue lights and CPS officers on it.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #1851
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Has this sort of idea ever been floated around the City offices?
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1852
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
This is a really weird question, but it's big news right now so I'll throw it out there and see what you've got for me Bunk.

Obviously there is talk about another young man from Calgary joining militants in the middle east to fight. CBC has been talking about it all morning.

Now obviously questions are many and answers are few to none. The big question is, why is this becoming such a problem in Calgary? Is it simply a cell under the radar? Is there a larger cultural cause? (These aren't my question, mine is at the bottom) But one comment from the journalist was that they weren't getting any information from the police or the mayors office.

The inclusion of the mayors office seemed weird to me. Obviously the police would be involved, but with any investigation of terrorism or national security I would imagine the big players would be RCMP, CSIS, and other such organizations.

Besides being briefed on such situations, would the mayors office really have any role in something like this anyway?
A CPS matter with whatever other law enforcement and/or intelligence officials they are working with.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #1853
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
Hey Bunk, while we are on the topic of road improvements/fixes, I know when I moved to Thorncliff a year ago, I was told by my realtor that there was a plan to fix MckNight between deerfoot and where it turns to become John Laurie. ...I can't seem to find info on that...Can you point me in the direction to see what the plan/timeline for something like this would be?

TIA.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...rect=/mcknight
Old 06-19-2014, 10:24 PM   #1854
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Do most communities have local improvements done on an annual basis? We got notice that our alley is being paved last fall, and I'm hoping it's done this year. Just wondering if they'll wait for enough work to come up in the area to justify mobilizing the equipment and men.
I think it's a project by project basis, not based on any sort of critical mass in any given community dictating schedule.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #1855
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchlandsselling View Post
Apologies if the above rant was a bit tough to follow. Didn't proof read before posting.
I read your two long points and it wasn't 100% clear what you were getting at. I believe what you are too polite to ask Bunk regarding the Inglewood-Refinery-Beaverdam-Carburn pathway is "When is this #### going to be fixed?"

To answer some of your questions, you can get to the Ogden Bridge from Refinery by following the path that threads between Deerfoot and 50 Ave SE (see Google maps satellite) from the gravel parking area. The paved bridge is still gone, but the wooden footbridge has been rebuilt, so you can cross the creek there. From the East side of the foot bridge, you can hoove it up the hill to get to the paved pathway. Not sure what the status of the recently washed out section is. I believe that pond you noted was for beavers, after it was washed away the beavers started taking down trees in Carburn. (OK, I am pulling this idea out of my arse, I actually don't have a clue on that one.) As of today, the river has incurred into Beaverdam flats slightly, hopefully the water level will subside tomorrow.

Last edited by Jedi Ninja; 06-19-2014 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Damn Beavers
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jedi Ninja For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #1856
dieHARDflameZ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ooooo I got one... Why was he an hour late for the marathon of sport fundraiser hosted out at Weber Academy on June 7th?
dieHARDflameZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 01:13 PM   #1857
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This is great, but it's only talking about EAST of Deerfoot. West of Deerfoot is one of the worst stretches in the city. McKnight and Center St. is HORRIBLE....
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:26 PM   #1858
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bunk ~ It was great seeing Nenshi out at a community theatre show tonight. And he even got involved! It's great that we have a mayor who's so into the Arts scene.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2014, 01:04 AM   #1859
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InCoGnEtO View Post
This is great, but it's only talking about EAST of Deerfoot. West of Deerfoot is one of the worst stretches in the city. McKnight and Center St. is HORRIBLE....
HOV lane east of Deerfoot sounds completely useless.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM   #1860
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Not to expand, but there is pavement rehabilitation planned for 2014.

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-works-map.pdf

Well it looks like I got what I asked for... They have been working on this for a few weeks now and the City's management of this project is nothing short of embarrassing.

Disregarding the fact that we still don't do this work at night (which is amazing for a city of our size)
  • They have one lane heading eastbound (EB) into the core during the morning commute - WHY is there not a lane reversal at this time, to allow 2 lanes EB and 1 WB? This is a major artery into the core and yet we can't have a guy move cones around in the AM?
  • On the ONE EB lane, at 45th St, they are still allowing left turns across WB Bow!!! This means that the entirety of EB bow in the morning commute are backed up behind one *$&$% turning left across bow - INSANE
  • Don't get me started on how they have no transition zone from the 2 EB lanes to the 1 WB lane, and everyone gets stuck merging in 5 feet in front of 45th Street - What a joke.

Sorry to vent as I know this is not your fault, Bunk. but I feel like my two year old could have devised a better plan here. Hopefully someone from the city notices this and fixes it, as we have another month of this abortion....
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ask me anything , nenshiisashill , purple