Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2022, 06:58 PM   #1841
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m not wading into this particular case, but sometimes I feel like we need a police force and a ‘you’d rather we called the police’ force.

Some people deserve a beat down. But it’d be great if the police were the ones who would stand just out of sight, ready to interject if things started going too far. They have too much power to be punitive, and yet that’s exactly what some people deserve.

See: Tough guy threatening workers and smashing shot at Tim Hortons. Rough that clown up, by all means.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:30 PM   #1842
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

What
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 07:50 PM   #1843
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m not wading into this particular case, but sometimes I feel like we need a police force and a ‘you’d rather we called the police’ force.

Some people deserve a beat down. But it’d be great if the police were the ones who would stand just out of sight, ready to interject if things started going too far. They have too much power to be punitive, and yet that’s exactly what some people deserve.

See: Tough guy threatening workers and smashing shot at Tim Hortons. Rough that clown up, by all means.
I actually agree that sometimes people deserve / need a bit of a beat down but what I saw in that video was not that. I saw attempted murder.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 08:17 PM   #1844
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All this salad talk makes me want to plug ol' Paul Fairie's twitter account again

https://twitter.com/user/status/918220378685759488
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 11:04 PM   #1845
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

from Deviaant (quote is not working for some reason)
Quote:
My neighbour who puts his green, blue and black bins in front of my fence along with mine. It looks like I’ve got 6 carts to be picked up. Guess how many times Ive been left with a full bin and a note. I don’t have a garage to store my bins so I leave them in front of my fence in the back as many others do. He has a garage he could store his bins be he just adds them to my fence though.
Plus he has an alarm with an audible chirp that he lets go all day and night. I’ve listened to chirp chirp chirp for the last 2 months 24 hours a day but so do they so I don’t understand it.

Oh and this annoys the heck out of me because I or a guest sometimes have to park in the back because all the street parking is gone. So either I have to rearrange his bins or I park down the block. And well I’d like my bins picked up with regularity you know.

Inconsiderate neighbours RGMG
is the street parking taken by an ATCO truck?
Old 08-23-2022, 07:32 AM   #1846
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
from Deviaant (quote is not working for some reason)

is the street parking taken by an ATCO truck?

Nah just typical dgaf neighbourhood parking. One guy is running a mechanics shop from his garage. He works on some pretty cool low riders so that has its own set of annoyances other than just parking, and a lot of new Canadian families that often seem to have a couple generations in the house. So it’s a busy neighbourhood all round.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #1847
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Hammer a bunch of stakes in the ground so there’s only enough clear area left for your bins. Put his in front of his overhead door. Film his reaction.

Hopefully he gets the hint and then you can remove the stakes and open up the parking space.

I was considering some extra allen blocks I have from a retaining wall I built last year. Unfortunately that would probably cause me more problems than not, and since that long winded Marcus Arillius quote someone busted out above I’ve lost most of my spite for the day anyhow.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:27 AM   #1848
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
wgmg.... talking to a customer on the phone and they keep cutting in and out (i called their cell). i mention this and they say, "yea - chris, you keep cutting in and out". ummmmm..... i'm on a landline. i'm pretty confident that it's not my phone that is cutting in and out.
You should con ont th m about tha !
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 08:48 AM   #1849
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Nah just typical dgaf neighbourhood parking. One guy is running a mechanics shop from his garage. He works on some pretty cool low riders so that has its own set of annoyances other than just parking, and a lot of new Canadian families that often seem to have a couple generations in the house. So it’s a busy neighbourhood all round.
I live in a culdesac, my neighbours have 6 vehicles for the 5 of them and park 3 in the culdesac. The son drives an F150 in case he needs to move furniture one day. He is constantly inching his truck closer and closer to our sidewalk to the point that we can no longer park adjacent to our own sidewalk, as my partner can't open her car door fully without dinging his truck. Meanwhile, there is oceans of space on the other side of his sisters vehicles. I also can't say anything to anyone in the family as "dear old dad" has declared me enemy #1.

Last edited by GrrlGoalie33; 08-23-2022 at 01:01 PM.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 12:38 PM   #1850
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Deviaant- I think the city has given you a solution. Just make up a polite note that says something like "sorry to be that guy- but the city has missed picking up my bins a couple of times because our bins are so close together. Could you please just make sure your bins are in front of your garage so they don't keep missing me?"

That way you aren't being a jerk, nor accusing the neighbour of being one. All the blame is on the city at that point.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #1851
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

^Yeah, I'd just talk to the neighbour and explain the issue about not getting garbage picked up as a result of the neighbour's placement of the carts. I'm picturing a really tight alley with pretty much all the rear frontage at the neighbour's side taken up by garage door, so they move the carts aside to drive the car out and never put the cars back in front of the garage door. If you clearly explain to the neighbour what the issue is hopefully they're reasonable and considerate about it. Otherwise if you play a silent shell game moving the carts about the neighbour probably thinks you're just a weirdo.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 01:17 PM   #1852
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Exactly. Never want to get into a scenario where they don't even know there's an issue while you're stewing over it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 01:42 PM   #1853
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

In another money making decision it seems like big stadium tours with high prices and less tour stops are the new thing, especially for established bands.

I get it, less shows to play, less travel. But it's yet another blow to seeing live music in calgary.

Bands like green day, Chilli peppers, Coldplay. Those were all arena bands for the most part, previously
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 01:46 PM   #1854
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coldplay's only concert in Alberta was in Edmonton last time wasn't it?
Old 08-23-2022, 02:15 PM   #1855
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's nothing new. I remember the Stones and Pink Floyd playing big stadium shows in Edmonton with nothing in Calgary back in the 90s. Even then, people were complaining about the same thing happening in the 70s.

It seems to be cyclic, where the big acts do stadium tours for a few years before going back to arena shows.

Coming out of the pandemic, playing bigger outdoor shows also likely lets them make up for the lost revenue of the last couple of years and helps limit the COVID spread by having them be open-air.
Old 08-23-2022, 02:45 PM   #1856
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
Not condoning the cops on this one bit. Three large officers should be able to cuff and subdue an assailant without resorting to this kind of crap.

This reporter says the guy slammed one of the officers head first so hard into the ground that he just about lost consciousness and had a concussion. Prior he threatened to slice a woman's face off with his knife and spat in the face of an employee at the town offices.

I'd say the guy is lucky he wasn't shot dead.
Apparently one of the responding officers cars has dash cam video of the beginning of the altercation.

Pretty hard to tilt one's head far enough to see what would be deserving of that kind of response.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #1857
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's nothing new. I remember the Stones and Pink Floyd playing big stadium shows in Edmonton with nothing in Calgary back in the 90s. Even then, people were complaining about the same thing happening in the 70s.

It seems to be cyclic, where the big acts do stadium tours for a few years before going back to arena shows.

Coming out of the pandemic, playing bigger outdoor shows also likely lets them make up for the lost revenue of the last couple of years and helps limit the COVID spread by having them be open-air.
There are also limiting factors.

Stadium tours only work for hugely popular bands. 99% of acts can’t make it work to play in 50-100k seat venues.

They can also only be toured during certain times. Hard to do a stadium tour in January in the northern part of the USA. Hard even in the summer in the south due to the oppressive heat.

I would also imagine the price point per ticket becomes less profitable overall. You can sell arenas for a premium but no one wants to pay $200 to sit in row xx of the second deck at a 100k capacity football stadium.

Further to that, I bet festivals exploding in popularity have ended most stadium tours viability.

All that being said, I just saw Rammstein play the first stop of their first ever NA stadium tour in Montreal and it was ####ing incredible. Could never pull that #### off in an arena. By far the most largest, most spectacular and most elaborate stage production I’ve ever seen, possibly in the history of live music. It was ####ing insane. That kind of thing, you can’t do in a 20k arena.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:10 PM   #1858
pylon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I appraise anywhere from 10-20 cars a week, and I see at least one a week with a bedazzled/Rhine stoned airbag cover.

Please for the love of god people, stop turning your airbag cover into a Swarovsky Claymore... unless of course you want a bedazzled face.

I would be genuinely curious how an insurance company would handle someone being injured and or blinded by the stupidest auto accessory trend in the history or cars. And yes... that includes truck nutz.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 06:13 PM   #1859
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

At a theme park today and was waiting in line behind two teenagers. Girl teenager was popping boy teenager's face zits.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #1860
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I appraise anywhere from 10-20 cars a week, and I see at least one a week with a bedazzled/Rhine stoned airbag cover.

Please for the love of god people, stop turning your airbag cover into a Swarovsky Claymore... unless of course you want a bedazzled face.

I would be genuinely curious how an insurance company would handle someone being injured and or blinded by the stupidest auto accessory trend in the history or cars. And yes... that includes truck nutz.
Sorry...that was hilarious!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote