Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #1841
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would CT bother purchasing a high floor bus?

Why not just replace the current high floor ones with low floor ones. Seems to me that fleet commonality and flexibility would be more important than replacing something on a one to one basis unless the high floor ones offer something the low floor ones dont?

Are high floor ones less expensive to purchase, do they cost less to operate, do they operate better on some routes (more traction for hills in the winter)? Other than those reasons I cant figure out why they would even want a high floor fleet.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1842
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed some brand new bendy buses on the roads lately. They have a new front end design and definitely sound quieter than the older ones.

Is this the style the new low-floor buses will be?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #1843
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Why would CT bother purchasing a high floor bus?

Why not just replace the current high floor ones with low floor ones. Seems to me that fleet commonality and flexibility would be more important than replacing something on a one to one basis unless the high floor ones offer something the low floor ones dont?

Are high floor ones less expensive to purchase, do they cost less to operate, do they operate better on some routes (more traction for hills in the winter)? Other than those reasons I cant figure out why they would even want a high floor fleet.
There's 114 HF busses currently in service, these are being replaced with buses from the new order of 150 - which are all low floor. High floor buses are probably not even manufactured any more.

Last edited by You Need a Thneed; 09-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #1844
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some photos from the Lions Park station extension.

Spoiled for size
Spoiler!
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #1845
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Transitcampyyc sent a survey to all candidates asking a few questions regarding transit issues. The results from each question will be included in an installment as part of a series of articles in Metro.

Here's the article for the first question, "How often do you use transit?" with the results for all the participants included in the link.

Quote:
Most Calgary council candidates are infrequent transit riders

Of the 49 candidates running for city councillor, 37 responded to the survey, including all incumbents.

Of those respondents, 12 said they take transit several times a week or more and four said they ride about once a week.

Of the remaining 21, five said they take transit one to three times a month, nine said they ride only on occasion, and seven responded with “rarely,” “not often” or similar answers.

[...]
Link to the rest of the article including all responses to this question

The series of articles will also be paralleled by blog posts to TransitCampYYC's webpage at:

http://transitcamp.ca/

The other four questions are:

1. What is the most pressing transit need in your ward

2. What is the most pressing transit need outside your ward?

3. What is your most innovative idea for improving transit?

4. What is the role of transit in Calgary?
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #1846
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

How are the LRT cars delivered?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #1847
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

^They are shipped one by one either by truck or train from the plant in Sacramento (truck is rare, it is mostly by train). If a unit comes up by train, it goes to the CP yards then is hauled down by a single engine to a siding near the Haysboro storage facility (just south of Heritage Station), where the LRV is offloaded from the big train car (or flatbed if it arrived by truck) onto the siding. The siding is basically an interchange between the LRT tracks and the CP tracks.

From there it is towed to either Anderson Garage or Oliver Bowen Maintenance Facility in the northeast where work commences to test and commission the unit.

Last edited by frinkprof; 10-07-2013 at 11:22 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #1848
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Correct.

Next time you're taking the LRT, watch the CP tracks south of the Haysboro storage facility, and you'll see a cross-over from the CP main that ducks under the fence to the LRT mains. The CP siding that frinkprof talks about is right beside the carwash.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #1849
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
^ Correct.

Next time you're taking the LRT, watch the CP tracks south of the Haysboro storage facility, and you'll see a cross-over from the CP main that ducks under the fence to the LRT mains. The CP siding that frinkprof talks about is right beside the carwash.
And just a little to the left of that you can faintly see the lean-to that Frink, Thneed, and the other transit geeks inhabit while waiting for the LRV delivery to happen.

I joke, but only because I think I'd like to see it happen one day. My son would totally dig that too. And I use the term "transit geek" affectionately, of course.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #1850
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And just a little to the left of that you can faintly see the lean-to that Frink, Thneed, and the other transit geeks inhabit while waiting for the LRV delivery to happen.

I joke, but only because I think I'd like to see it happen one day. My son would totally dig that too. And I use the term "transit geek" affectionately, of course.
Lol, I somewhat rarely even ride the train.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to You Need a Thneed For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #1851
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Lol, I somewhat rarely even ride the train.
Me either, but I do find that there are a few people here (yourself included) that provide some really good insight into the LRT system. I rarely use transit either, but I find it quite interesting for some reason.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #1852
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If the first c-train from that new order is going to be delivered in August 2015... Does that mean we won't be seeing 4 car trains until the end of 2015? That seems really far away.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #1853
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Four car service can't come fast enough. I've noticed both Lions Park and UofC extensions are near complete too.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1854
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Mask wins:

http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgar...ns-248936.aspx

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #1855
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boooooooo, didn't care for that one at all. I was Buffalo all the way.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #1856
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say that The Mask was my least favourite, but they all look a lot more sleek and modern than what we've got currently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 04:01 PM   #1857
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone frustrated with the reserve parking system? It is kind of frustrating seeing the lots half empty in the morning and still being rather high on the wait list. I preferred the old pay system they had before the outcry that we had to pay 3 bucks for parking.

It seems now that they don't know how to manage or understand what they have with the reserve system. It is even more frustrating when you hear stories of people renting their spots and making money at the high usage lots (end of the line...damn those parasite communities).

Sorry about that.

/end rant
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #1858
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Regarding Transit Camp's election survey of candidates, I was originally going to make a post each day to coincide with the Metro article for each question but I wasn't able to make the time to.

Anyway, the comprehensive list of responses is on the Transit Camp blog (http://transitcamp.ca) and the Metro articles are easy to find on their website. A bit lazy of me but free time has been at a premium lately so there you have it.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #1859
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Anyone frustrated with the reserve parking system? It is kind of frustrating seeing the lots half empty in the morning and still being rather high on the wait list. I preferred the old pay system they had before the outcry that we had to pay 3 bucks for parking.

It seems now that they don't know how to manage or understand what they have with the reserve system. It is even more frustrating when you hear stories of people renting their spots and making money at the high usage lots (end of the line...damn those parasite communities).

Sorry about that.

/end rant
Pay per use was awsome for the end lots. You could get there at 7;30 and still get a spot. User fees are so much better that first come first serve.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #1860
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

News and Notes

North Central LRT Video

This is a video that has come out of the recent North Central LRT corridor engagement process. It's interesting, but a little bit vague and high-level. Not sure if it's just one of the options being presented or if, through engagement, this is the preferred one. Either way, lots left in the dialog and decision-making process.

Undercover Boss Canada

An episode of the show recently featured Calgary Transit director Doug Morgan going undercover on the front lines of Calgary Transit. As is the premise of the show, the focus is on the employees and what they go through on a day-to-day basis.

Here's a link to view it online. It's currently the top-listed clip:

http://www.wnetwork.com/shows/underc...s-canada/clips

Construction photos

Here's a round of photos of various construction projects in the system as posted by TallisRH on SSP almost 2 weeks ago:

4-car platform extensions
Spoiler!

Tuscany Station progress
Spoiler!

Heritage Station pedestrian bridge

Last edited by frinkprof; 11-03-2013 at 12:21 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings