Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2024, 08:26 AM   #18221
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I've got some friends who work at AHS and they are starting to hear rumours of AHS employees being "offered" job transitions to the GoA as part of the disintegration of AHS.

The weird part is that some of them are unionized employees, and the jobs they are being transitioned to offer:

- lower pay,
- less vacation, and
- lower benefits.

and the union (AUPE) isn't doing anything to ensure that this doesn't happen? I'm not a union member, but I sort of assumed that not letting their employees get screwed was the purpose of a union?

Anyone else hearing anything?
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:28 AM   #18222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd be happy enough if she just went back to washing dishes on her train car and lever left again.
"Make Dishes Clean Again!"

Although I'd bet she probably sucks at washing dishes just like she sucks at everything else.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

The World Ends when you're dead. Until then, you've got more punishment in store. - Flames Fans

Life is pain. Anyone who says differently is selling something. - The Dread Pirate Roberts
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:29 AM   #18223
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
"Make Dishes Clean Again!"

Although I'd bet she probably sucks at washing dishes just like she sucks at everything else.
I honestly don't care, because it would never, ever be my problem. Which is a big difference from the current situation.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:31 AM   #18224
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I want him to ramp-up the snark against Smith.

God I hate that lady.
I want him to call her out for her lies. Danielle won't be able to out maneuver Nenshi like she did Rachel.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:34 AM   #18225
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
I want him to call her out for her lies. Danielle won't be able to out maneuver Nenshi like she did Rachel.
That was the problem with Notley. She was way too nice to the huge pieces of kyits like Kenney and boobbus.
Old 03-05-2024, 10:03 AM   #18226
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I've got some friends who work at AHS and they are starting to hear rumours of AHS employees being "offered" job transitions to the GoA as part of the disintegration of AHS.

The weird part is that some of them are unionized employees, and the jobs they are being transitioned to offer:

- lower pay,
- less vacation, and
- lower benefits.

and the union (AUPE) isn't doing anything to ensure that this doesn't happen? I'm not a union member, but I sort of assumed that not letting their employees get screwed was the purpose of a union?

Not sure how much truth there would be to this rumour since AHS and government employees are covered under different collective agreements.

In any event a Union can’t prevent an employer from issuing layoffs due to downsizing, even when it’s pretty obvious that the employer shouldn’t be downsizing. They would just have to ensure seniority or whatever other terms are included in the contract relating to layoffs/recalls are followed instead of having the employer arbitrarily laying off employees.

If layoffs are occurring then having the offer of another job might be enticing to some employees but I don’t think that there’s anything that could force them to take a new position with the government.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 10:14 AM   #18227
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Not sure how much truth there would be to this rumour since AHS and government employees are covered under different collective agreements.

In any event a Union can’t prevent an employer from issuing layoffs due to downsizing, even when it’s pretty obvious that the employer shouldn’t be downsizing. They would just have to ensure seniority or whatever other terms are included in the contract relating to layoffs/recalls are followed instead of having the employer arbitrarily laying off employees.

If layoffs are occurring then having the offer of another job might be enticing to some employees but I don’t think that there’s anything that could force them to take a new position with the government.
Which is probably part of the plan. There is now a bigger pool of staff for private companies to hire for cheaper.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:36 PM   #18228
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
The problem with running for the provincial Alberta NDP, is having to be a federal NDP member. If they ever removed that toxic relationship the NDP has a better chance in Alberta. I've always liked Nenshi and would love to see what he can bring.
Pancholi has already come out with a proposal for disentangling the Federal/Provincial memberships.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:38 PM   #18229
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a gong show at this budget town hall in SW Calgary tonight
Old 03-05-2024, 08:55 PM   #18230
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What a gong show at this budget town hall in SW Calgary tonight
Coles notes, if possible?
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 09:52 PM   #18231
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No, they've since proven that the Acetaminophen that was acquired was improperly mixed dosage wise for youth use and could have had negative effects on children if given improperly.

Is the idea sound? It implies a severe distrust and frankly disrespect to the regular procurement channels- if the stuff was safe for use and usable, why wouldn't the regular channels have acquired it? In that sense, it was always about political grandstanding and trying to show that the federal government apparatus was weak. It backfired as good reasons why the products from this producer weren't readily available in market were revealed.
Did it backfire, though? The UCP voting base is a braindead, large percentage of our province that will look past all of these "blunders" and vote for whatever conservative party is running in any election.

But lightbulbs!!!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 09:56 PM   #18232
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Coles notes, if possible?
Basically a lot of excuses that don’t really hold water.

Paraphrasing here but this is essentially the gist of what I can remember:

Claiming choice is the reason why we give tax dollars to private/charter schools even though the only people who have a choice on who goes there are the schools themselves.

We have to hold off on income tax breaks for the people who keep this province going even though they expedited the corporate tax cut last term for no real reason. The justification given was essentially because 3 out of the 5 MLAs in attendance who responded believe in trickle down economics.

Blamed the feds for all sorts of problems that they don’t have jurisdiction over.

And systemic issues that our provincial government have control over aren’t the fault of the current government even though some of the MLAs in attendance have held office for multiple terms.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:49 AM   #18233
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post

- lower pay,
- less vacation, and
- lower benefits.

Quote:

Clearly a few other AHS employees were thinking the same thing and actually did something better than a post on CP.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AHSEmployees

I just joined to see if there is useful information. It seems to be growing at a good rate, hopefully it pans out. If you are an AHS employee, I'd recommend checking it out.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #18234
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Basically a lot of excuses that don’t really hold water.

Paraphrasing here but this is essentially the gist of what I can remember:

Claiming choice is the reason why we give tax dollars to private/charter schools even though the only people who have a choice on who goes there are the schools themselves.

We have to hold off on income tax breaks for the people who keep this province going even though they expedited the corporate tax cut last term for no real reason. The justification given was essentially because 3 out of the 5 MLAs in attendance who responded believe in trickle down economics.

Blamed the feds for all sorts of problems that they don’t have jurisdiction over.

And systemic issues that our provincial government have control over aren’t the fault of the current government even though some of the MLAs in attendance have held office for multiple terms.
So they sang from the UCP hymn book

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:52 AM   #18235
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's too bad that a business / economics post-secondary background isn't required to be a politician. 'Trickle down' is what rich people say to everyone else to make it seems like they're looking out for the common man and how they'll get their share of the pie. The fact that the some Albertans believe this nonsense is sad, if not embarrassing. Of course, the UCP tows the line on this tripe.

Quote:
Conservatives in power for 40+ years - "IT'S NOT OUR FAULT"

By far the worst government in Alberta history. What a colossal disaster.

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 08:56 AM   #18236
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Oh don't you worry, all 5 fully believe in trickle down economics.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2024, 09:09 AM   #18237
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Oh don't you worry, all 5 fully believe in trickle down economics.
I'd guess that none of them actually believe in trickle down economics, they just hope there are enough people who are stupid enough to vote for them because of the promise of the wealth trickling down.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:11 AM   #18238
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

iggy_oi - did someone stand up and shout to the audience 'TRICKLE DOWN ECONOMICS DOESN'T WORK, IT NEVER HAS, AND IT NEVER WILL. HERE IS WHY'...? Man I hope so. These conservative bozo puppets need to have their feet held to the burner in public forums like these.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:31 AM   #18239
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can we just call trickle down what it really is, its just them peeing on you.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 09:37 AM   #18240
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Corporate profits near historic high, better give em a tax break so they wanna return the favor.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote