Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #1801
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Jamie McGinn? Really?
He's a useful player. 2nd/3rd line power forward. The type of player you'd like to add for the playoffs.

Have you watched Buffalo much this year? McGinn's looked good to me. Wouldn't mind if the Flames looked at giving him an offer this summer as an UFA.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:07 PM   #1802
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Some offensive production?

He is 24th in the league in points over the last 2 seasons.

24th.

That puts him ahead of names like Toews, Bergeron, Zetterberg, Spezza...

and every member of the Oilers (among other teams)
What he did last season is largely irrelevant particularly since it was way beyond his normal production. Teams aren't trading for 2015 Hudler. They are trading for the guy they've seen this season
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JiriHrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 PM   #1803
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
What he did last season is largely irrelevant particularly since it was way beyond his normal production. Teams aren't trading for 2015 Hudler. They are trading for the guy they've seen this season
Uh, why not?

He's established himself in the past, 2014-15 aside, as a consistent 50-point player. Couldn't a team like Florida or Pittsburgh or really any playoff team use another 50-point scorer on the wing?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #1804
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Pretty safe to say most GMs would love a $4M 50pt+ experienced RW for the stretch and playoffs. The "win now" teams. Hudler has value even as a rental.
I guess we will find out. All of chatter so far has been for a second or third round pick. I understand where it is coming from and I don't take it for Gospel. But given what we got for Glencross and what we didn't get for Cammalleri a second or third may not be that far off.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:14 PM   #1805
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I think what hurts Hudler is he isn't fast and he isn't big. Teams are looking to add guys to take on certain teams that have those advantages. Hudler can give you some offensive production, but the fact that he's under-sized and slowing down makes him a secondary choice for teams. I think his value is about a 2nd and no more.
While I agree, Hudlers' size is underwhelming, I don't think it hurts him when playing bigger teams.
I took a look at this years stats.
Playoff teams are worried about playoff teams.
Currently, the teams in the Playoffs as of right now, are: FLA, TB, BOS, WSH, NYR, NYI, DET, PIT, in the East.
This season, the Flames have played a combined 13 games against those teams, and Hudler has 3 goals, 8 Assists, for a 0.85PPG.
In the west, you have: DAL, CHI, STL, LA, ANA, SJ, NSH, COL
The flames have played these teams 18 times combined, Hudler has 3 goals, and 7 assists in those games for 0.55PPG.
Further to your point, that teams are looking for guys to play against the bigger, faster teams, I looked more closely at the playoff teams, I see as the "Bigger" "Faster" teams.
BOS, WSH, NYI, STL, LA, ANA, SJ
Of those teams, the Flames have played them a combined 15 times this season, and Hudler has 5 goals, and 7 assists, making him a 0.8PPG scorer against the "Big" Fast" teams.

I don't see his size really being all that important, much like Gaudreau, but obviously not on the same level, Hudler seems to play better against the bigger faster teams, by slowing the game down, and creating space, by drawing opponents towards himself.

I think Treliving will get a pretty solid return on Hudler by Monday. Or, atleast I hope he does.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wretched34 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #1806
chockfullofgoodness
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think what hurts Hudler is he isn't fast and he isn't big. Teams are looking to add guys to take on certain teams that have those advantages. Hudler can give you some offensive production, but the fact that he's under-sized and slowing down makes him a secondary choice for teams. I think his value is about a 2nd and no more.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised come deadline day. Hudler gets us a first. I will put money on that. (Up to 20 bucks. All proceeds going to CP of course) You underestimate his market value.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25 PM   #1807
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Uh, why not?

He's established himself in the past, 2014-15 aside, as a consistent 50-point player. Couldn't a team like Florida or Pittsburgh or really any playoff team use another 50-point scorer on the wing?
I just don't see how an undersized, career average 50 point winger nets you a huge return.

I suspect many of us will be disappointed.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #1808
Knut

Exp:

Bob Mckenzie
It's believed EDM has traded Nilsson to STL in exchange for a mid-round draft pick. Possibly a 4th or 5th rounder.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 PM   #1809
druetetective
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
I guess we will find out. All of chatter so far has been for a second or third round pick. I understand where it is coming from and I don't take it for Gospel. But given what we got for Glencross and what we didn't get for Cammalleri a second or third may not be that far off.
What chatter?

Have any analysts speculated what his return might be? Friedge? Bob.M?

I don't have twitter so I'm genuinely asking.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:56 PM   #1810
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving is fielding calls for a number of his players, including forward Jiri Hudler and defenseman Kris Russell.
Hudler and Russell are in the final year of their respective contracts and can become unrestricted free agents July 1.

Several teams have expressed interest in both players, including the Los Angeles Kings, New York Islanders and Florida Panthers.
It's believed the Pittsburgh Penguins and Minnesota Wild are also interested in Hudler, while the Dallas Stars and Tampa Bay Lightning appear to have interest in Russell, who is currently injured.
The unclear what the Flames are looking for in exchange for either player, but a high-draft pick and a prospect is the expected going rate for each athlete.
In addition to Hudler and Russell, are Flames are entertaining calls on forwards David Jones, Joe Colborne and Josh Jooris, and goaltender Jonas Hiller.
Jones and Hiller are also set to become unrestricted free agents July 1, while Colborne and Jooris can become restricted free agents this summer.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/cgy160227.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 12:05 AM   #1811
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by druetetective View Post
What chatter?

Have any analysts speculated what his return might be? Friedge? Bob.M?

I don't have twitter so I'm genuinely asking.
It was speculated as a third for Hudler by Francis and Shannon and a second by Mirtle. Nothing concrete and from nobody I'm the upper echelons of credibility. Francis was speculating a first for Russell.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:25 AM   #1812
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
It was speculated as a third for Hudler by Francis and Shannon and a second by Mirtle. Nothing concrete and from nobody I'm the upper echelons of credibility. Francis was speculating a first for Russell.
An important distinction here is that Shannon and Francis said they thought he'd return a 3rd. Mirtle said they were asking for a second

Last edited by Street Pharmacist; 02-27-2016 at 01:45 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:30 AM   #1813
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Hudler returns a 1st. If for no other reason than he's one of the best tip-men in the league not named Pavelski.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:49 AM   #1814
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I still think Hudler returns a 1st. If for no other reason than he's one of the best tip-men in the league not named Pavelski.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2016, 03:57 AM   #1815
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could live with FLA 2016 1st and say Juho Lammiko from FLA. Big winger with good IQ and vision.

Last edited by dammage79; 02-27-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:20 AM   #1816
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just saying: The fact they are protecting Russell but don't seem to be caring too much about Hudler getting injured seems to hint that Hudler has a lot less trade value.
I don't see it that way at all, I would bet if Russell was close to 100% he wouldn't be sitting either. If the roles were reversed and Hudler had been nursing an injury and Russell was close to 100% it would be Russell playing and Hudler in the pressbox.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:36 AM   #1817
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is the day. Atleast one Flames trade gets announced I'm thinking.

And with his recent play Hudlers value is atleast up to a 2nd I believe.
Old 02-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #1818
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I just don't see how an undersized, career average 50 point winger nets you a huge return.

I suspect many of us will be disappointed.
But a creative, veteran playmaker with Cup-winning experience might
Old 02-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #1819
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Today is the day. Atleast one Flames trade gets announced I'm thinking.

And with his recent play Hudlers value is atleast up to a 2nd I believe.
Eriksson is holding up the f market. Once his status is known I think we will start to see f rentals fly off the shelves.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #1820
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
I'd think NJD/CAR more likely to sell than buy now. So names Stempniak, Schlemko, E Staal, Ward, Versteeg, Liles etc likely to be heard more
Closed Thread