Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2024, 04:14 PM   #1801
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Matthew Tkachuk would likely have been traded this season anyways if he was only willing to sign for 6 years.
Yup. And the quote I remember was him starting his description of long term out at 5 years.

No one will tell me what they would have signed either him or Gaudreau to back in the day. Only that the (unknown) offer by the Flames was "embarrassing".
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:20 PM   #1802
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yup. And the quote I remember was him starting his description of long term out at 5 years.

No one will tell me what they would have signed either him or Gaudreau to back in the day. Only that the (unknown) offer by the Flames was "embarrassing".
They called it embarrassing vs the 10.5 offer he got. Its embarrassing that Johnny and his camp thought he should get 10.5 for being a 50-60 point player.

Even if the offer was 7.5-8.5 at the time that seems like a very good offer for a player who had a lot of question marks around him coming into the season.

Who knows what the Tkachuk deal would have looked like at 6 years but if we look around the league during that time, it would have been 9 plus. After 2 down years everyone would have had pitchforks out for Treliving if we had a 50 point Tkachuk at 9 million plus.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:51 PM   #1803
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It is a moot point because the Flames did not have the cap space to sign Tkachuk to a longterm contract that offseason. I would have signed a PPG player to a 9 million dollar deal. But it does not really matter, the longterm dollars for Tkachuk went into UFA signings.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:52 PM   #1804
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
They called it embarrassing vs the 10.5 offer he got. Its embarrassing that Johnny and his camp thought he should get 10.5 for being a 50-60 point player.

Even if the offer was 7.5-8.5 at the time that seems like a very good offer for a player who had a lot of question marks around him coming into the season.

Who knows what the Tkachuk deal would have looked like at 6 years but if we look around the league during that time, it would have been 9 plus. After 2 down years everyone would have had pitchforks out for Treliving if we had a 50 point Tkachuk at 9 million plus.
Yup it's easy to say with hindsight on both of those things, especially knowing what we know post COVID and how that partially changed these players wanting to play in Canada.

Really most people wanted Gaudreau traded after the 20-21 season, not extended. And if Treliving gave him the 8 x $9M (i've heard that was the ask at the time) then he would have been roasted for that too.

If anything the history shows now that he should have just traded him...because he's likely not living up to a $9 or $10.5M contract right now anyways. (This is what we should remember before signing Andersson to a contract extension when he's 30).

And in terms of Tkachuk the longest high profile RFA signing that year was 6 years and it was Rantanen / Marner that got $9.25M and $10.9M respectively and I've heard that Tkachuk also wanted within that same range as Rantanen for a 6 year deal.

In the end if either guy wanted to stay there was a more than generous offer on the table for both of them to stay, and both decided they wanted to leave to actually take less money.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-05-2024 at 04:55 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 04:59 PM   #1805
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I've already stated my numbers numerous times and even dating back to 2019 and 2021. It was $9M for Gaudreau and $8.75M for Tkachuk. Also, why does it even matter what my number is anyway? Other than to open myself up for criticism? Where's your number? I wasn't the GM of the team. You can't change the past, so what difference does it make now?
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:12 PM   #1806
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup it's easy to say with hindsight on both of those things, especially knowing what we know post COVID and how that partially changed these players wanting to play in Canada.

Really most people wanted Gaudreau traded after the 20-21 season, not extended. And if Treliving gave him the 8 x $9M (i've heard that was the ask at the time) then he would have been roasted for that too.

If anything the history shows now that he should have just traded him...because he's likely not living up to a $9 or $10.5M contract right now anyways. (This is what we should remember before signing Andersson to a contract extension when he's 30).

And in terms of Tkachuk the longest high profile RFA signing that year was 6 years and it was Rantanen / Marner that got $9.25M and $10.9M respectively and I've heard that Tkachuk also wanted within that same range as Rantanen for a 6 year deal.

In the end if either guy wanted to stay there was a more than generous offer on the table for both of them to stay, and both decided they wanted to leave to actually take less money.
It wouldn't have been from me. I was more than willing to pay up for the franchise players of the team, even if I had to go slightly above what I'd be comfortable with. These are the franchise players of the team who lead your team in scoring every year; you pay and find the savings elsewhere.

Even dating back to 2021, all we heard was that Gaudreau wanted to finish his contract and sign with Philly. Well, in his final season press conference, he mentioned for the first time, that he'd be open to re-signing if Brad and ownership was happy with him. For me personally, that was all I needed to hear to get the ball moving. Then I remember feeling quite anxious by the summer when it hadn't been announced yet as Gaudreau's wedding was coming up. It always left me feeling uneasy that Johnny was marrying a Philly girl especially with the Chris Pronger's wife hating Edmonton fiasco.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:19 PM   #1807
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I've already stated my numbers numerous times and even dating back to 2019 and 2021. It was $9M for Gaudreau and $8.75M for Tkachuk. Also, why does it even matter what my number is anyway? Other than to open myself up for criticism? Where's your number? I wasn't the GM of the team. You can't change the past, so what difference does it make now?
And yet the conversation rages on. In every thread.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 05:19 PM   #1808
FlamesAreOne
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Kuzmenko looks like a super upbeat and funny dude. His entire interview he had the biggest smile on his face.

I'm a fan.
FlamesAreOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAreOne For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 05:54 PM   #1809
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post
Kuzmenko looks like a super upbeat and funny dude. His entire interview he had the biggest smile on his face.

I'm a fan.

I miss him already.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 06:00 PM   #1810
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAreOne View Post

I'm a fan.
Honestly, being a guy that gets to play in an elite league with the perks that come with it, I'm surprised that a lot of these players are as serious and rigid as they are/come off.

Like, why not be flexible and have fun? It's a short career. See places, make a great living. Worry about settling down and planting roots later. There will still be lots of life left then.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:39 PM   #1811
Super Nintendo Chalmers
First Line Centre

Exp:

Long time no post but I needed to warn you guys about the kind of dirtbag Kuzmenko is. Observe:

Hope he shoots the lights out in CGY.
Super Nintendo Chalmers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Super Nintendo Chalmers For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 06:46 PM   #1812
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I miss him already.
Is he always like that or was it new situation jitters?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:52 PM   #1813
Bubba17
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

And the Flames wouldn't sign that because it carried him right to free agency. Both him and Gaudreau got league average deals on their second contracts, they weren't low paid. Tkachuk got a contract that guaranteed him $9M qualifying offer after 3 years so it was above fair market for him anyway.
Bubba17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:56 PM   #1814
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think those who criticize a GM should say what should have been done instead. But you’d have made Gaudreau around the 10th highest paid player in the league when it looked like he’d peaked 2 seasons before?

Tkachuk wanted $9M at least, hence his QO season number.

I’m not criticizing the move, so I don’t have to say what should have been done.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:16 PM   #1815
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
Long time no post but I needed to warn you guys about the kind of dirtbag Kuzmenko is. Observe:

Hope he shoots the lights out in CGY.
Might also be the only really world example I’ve seen of Gunnar Stahls patented triple deke glove side.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:18 PM   #1816
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Is he always like that or was it new situation jitters?

He's always goofy and lovable. There's a reason fans like me wanted it to work so badly.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 08:03 PM   #1817
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It wouldn't have been from me. I was more than willing to pay up for the franchise players of the team, even if I had to go slightly above what I'd be comfortable with. These are the franchise players of the team who lead your team in scoring every year; you pay and find the savings elsewhere.

Even dating back to 2021, all we heard was that Gaudreau wanted to finish his contract and sign with Philly. Well, in his final season press conference, he mentioned for the first time, that he'd be open to re-signing if Brad and ownership was happy with him. For me personally, that was all I needed to hear to get the ball moving. Then I remember feeling quite anxious by the summer when it hadn't been announced yet as Gaudreau's wedding was coming up. It always left me feeling uneasy that Johnny was marrying a Philly girl especially with the Chris Pronger's wife hating Edmonton fiasco.
It's tough to know without knowing what the exact asks were.

My thought at the time was under $8M they should re-sign him without hesitation, $8-9M ask it would come down to what the return was on the trade market for him, and $9M+ they should have traded him.

In the end I still feel like that would been the right approach...but more and more I think they shouldn't hand out any 8 year contracts to players 29 or older unless you are sure they are true elite players.

Also not sure it's been posted yet but here's the first Kuzmenko interview from practice today - https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/kuz...-6346311038112
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:14 PM   #1818
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Nintendo Chalmers View Post
Long time no post but I needed to warn you guys about the kind of dirtbag Kuzmenko is.
I'm not so sure "dirtbag" is a fair assessment. It looks unintentional to me and he even looks outright horrified that it happened.
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaikorven For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2024, 08:16 PM   #1819
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaikorven View Post
I'm not so sure "dirtbag" is a fair assessment. It looks unintentional to me and he even looks outright horrified that it happened.

Holy ####, son.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 02-05-2024, 08:17 PM   #1820
jaikorven
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Care to expand?
jaikorven is offline   Reply With Quote