Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2013, 12:35 AM   #1801
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
The U2s were a German design by a company called Duwag, and the U2 design was actually used for years before Calgary's system was even built, primarily on the German U-bahn system. It's now a 50 year-old design and technology.
I was surprised a couple of years ago when I was in Frankfurt and rode on their LRT system in vehicles that looked exactly like the oldest style of C-Train cars, and they looked like they were even older than the old C-Train cars.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1802
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Judging from social media reaction, what is the deal with so many people not liking the new bench style seating versus the old seats?

Are there any major cities that don't use bench style on their mass transit trains?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 AM   #1803
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

They probably assume it's the current terrible bench seating.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #1804
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Judging from social media reaction, what is the deal with so many people not liking the new bench style seating versus the old seats?
Maybe those people think taking the train should be like going for some sort of pleasure cruise in the countryside.

Bench seating (and making sure it's smooth, not grooved) is the only way to go. During rush hour, very few people get to sit down anyway, so you want to make sure as many people can stand in there as possible. Unless you can provide a train every minute or two (which they can't), the C-train should be all about packing people in.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #1805
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, should have clarified. I mean when the initial switch to bench style started people started complaining (and not just about the bench style itself), it's like they don't like the bench layout versus the old face to face seating.

Surely bench style is the best way to go from a capacity standpoint, and it is used all the world over. So why cry about it?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #1806
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

People consistently positively embrace all change, big or small.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #1807
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, should have clarified. I mean when the initial switch to bench style started people started complaining (and not just about the bench style itself), it's like they don't like the bench layout versus the old face to face seating.

Surely bench style is the best way to go from a capacity standpoint, and it is used all the world over. So why cry about it?
My guess is because it's less seats, meaning it's more likely that you'll have to stand. People complaining about the seat style probably don't have the issue of not being able to get on a train because it's full.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1808
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were the vendors asked to come up with exterior designs as part of the process? Or is this something Siemens just did as an added bonus?

I notice these aren't just different liveries, but actually have different physical properties to them.

Any chance the City goes with something new? Or do they want to stick with the Coke wave?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #1809
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

From a comfort stand point the 2nd generation cars with their 2x2 rows of seats are far and away the best options. They all want to sit relatively alone, which if you get a seat on those cars you can. They are spacious enough that even if someone sits next to you it's still very comfortable. Unless someone is playing with your hair behind you that is.

The bench style seating is the best option for packing people on though and it's the option I'd go with too. As long as they remove those silly bucket seats.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #1810
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

When are these new train cars set to arrive?
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1811
clintb
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Does anyone know when the new cars are supposed to get here?
clintb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1812
clintb
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
When are these new train cars set to arrive?
Oh... looks like we had the same question
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #1813
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

First batch arrives in 2015.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #1814
clintb
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Were the vendors asked to come up with exterior designs as part of the process? Or is this something Siemens just did as an added bonus?

I notice these aren't just different liveries, but actually have different physical properties to them.

Any chance the City goes with something new? Or do they want to stick with the Coke wave?
I wish they would do something completely new... and ditch all the old cars that are so tired
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #1815
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please let them use the Quad City DJs for unveiling the trains officially arrive.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #1816
clintb
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Please let them use the Quad City DJs for unveiling the trains officially arrive.
I don't think Nemshi listens to QCDJ

More like Queen
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #1817
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
- Digital displays for next stop/destination as well as possible "infotainment" displays that could display things such as: realtime line map with current train location, next stop/destination, date, time, weather, announcements
Did Siemens expand on this during the DDR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
This one seems like we might regret it. If someone has a stroller and needs/wants to sit, they're kind of screwed. Also less seating for what appears to be marginally more space might not be the right balance between peak capacity and off-peak ride comfort.
The perch seating is going to be a really nice addition in areas where people usually stand today, however, there will be a trade-off in the W/C areas.

Benefits
  • When the benches were folded up, people were hesitant to unfold them. With the perch seating pads, the space can easily be utilized when no strollers, wheelchairs, or luggage is present.
  • The space can be used as storage space for things like luggage during off-peak periods as, without any seating, it would most likely be unoccupied.
  • It's comfy for standing passengers.

Cons
  • Less seating in a desirable area.
  • Passengers with luggage/strollers will be forced to stand.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #1818
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm feeling the Buffalo the most.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM   #1819
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I like the Bow.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:41 PM   #1820
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we get a poll for the design? I'm thinking Mask.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings