Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2024, 11:54 AM   #1781
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but Canada doesn't actually process very much of our resources into consumable products. While our mined ores end up in vehicles it gets shipped down to the US or, more commonly now, China to become sheet steel, aluminum billets, plastic pellets, etc.
Yes, that's what I understood as well. Just like our O&G industry, we don't have much refinery or finishing capacity that stays in country. We don't have vertical supply chain and manufacturing in Canada. We ship most of our natural resources out of country for processing and to supply other countries with raw materials for their industries.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 12:00 PM   #1782
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...rger-1.7078959

There are a lot of fear mongering stories in the news media for sensationlism around EVs. Usually it has to do with people buying EVs and having nightmare stories about their condo board not allowing them chargers. Often it is about recalls which are really OTA updates. Increasingly it is about EVs driving themselves into accidents. This story does highlight an issue for a lot of residential power grids, especially in older neighborhoods and towns.

The good news is that 3 of my co-workers have all had solar installed this year and with the federal interest free loans to get it done, a lot of them are driving cost free and not working about relying on the local grid anymore. There's a lot of fear mongering about grid capacity but I think the future is going to be around individual or collective solar augmenting what already exists.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 12:05 PM   #1783
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/01/10/h...yberpunk-2077/

Honda's crazy new Series 0 EV designs that are going to influence their 2026 releases. I'm not yet convinced about Honda pivoting to EV properly. They are still reliant on GM for their electric drive trains at the moment and like many traditional manufacturers, have been worried about cannibalizing their traditional business much like Kodak fearing to tread into digital photography.
Old 01-10-2024, 02:37 PM   #1784
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
We shouldn't if it means Canadians get an inferior product at higher prices. That's where we fundamentally see things differently. I believe in free trade and globalization. If your local industries are not competitive on the global market, you should not insulate them with subsidies and tariffs. I wish we would get rid of Supply Management which only exists to subsidize Canadian Dairy Farmers and incentivize waste. I want the best world cheeses at an affordable price, not bland tasteless Ontario cheese. We deserve the best cars at the best price. The Eastern governments have long subsidized Ford, GM, Bombardier, etc. ad infinitum to have manufacturing out east (to buy votes) and what does that provide for the rest of Canada? Only 125,000 auto workers in those factories. That's a tiny percentage of the 40 million people, which which need affordable EVs if we are going to meet our own government's targets.
Maintaining a manufacturing base (and food production to speak to your dairy example) isn't just a matter of economics, it's also a national security issue. We saw what happened with COVID vaccines where Canada had no remaining manufacturing capacity and we had basically zero leverage as a result.

Globalization is great in periods of long-term peace and without any crises, but that's not guaranteed to continue. Particularly since Chinese action on Taiwan in the next decade seems more or less inevitable.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 05:08 PM   #1785
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north...rger-1.7078959

There are a lot of fear mongering stories in the news media for sensationlism around EVs. Usually it has to do with people buying EVs and having nightmare stories about their condo board not allowing them chargers. Often it is about recalls which are really OTA updates. Increasingly it is about EVs driving themselves into accidents. This story does highlight an issue for a lot of residential power grids, especially in older neighborhoods and towns.

The good news is that 3 of my co-workers have all had solar installed this year and with the federal interest free loans to get it done, a lot of them are driving cost free and not working about relying on the local grid anymore. There's a lot of fear mongering about grid capacity but I think the future is going to be around individual or collective solar augmenting what already exists.
What an odd article as it really seems to have missed the point. It doesn’t really matter where you are getting a 200 amp service is almost impossible and VERY expensive. I live in a 12 year old house and was told I couldn’t likely get one. My panel wouldn’t have enough room as I have a ac, induction stove and electric dryer. The solution isn’t service upgrades it’s a load management relay. My stove and EV charger if I were to get one would feed into the relay, if the oven is in no charging. That way my peak service isn’t ever changing we just are managing the load, this will be the way this works.
Whynotnow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2024, 05:14 PM   #1786
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It all depends on your house, and your street load. I was able to call for an upgrade and my transformer was not overloaded, so they did that part free. The potential expense is upgrading the panel and getting power to where it is needed.

But ya, if you are considering this, I'd do it soon before everyone is trying to do it in 5 years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 05:23 PM   #1787
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whynotnow View Post
What an odd article as it really seems to have missed the point. It doesn’t really matter where you are getting a 200 amp service is almost impossible and VERY expensive. I live in a 12 year old house and was told I couldn’t likely get one. My panel wouldn’t have enough room as I have a ac, induction stove and electric dryer. The solution isn’t service upgrades it’s a load management relay. My stove and EV charger if I were to get one would feed into the relay, if the oven is in no charging. That way my peak service isn’t ever changing we just are managing the load, this will be the way this works.
It also mentioned the benefits of having an actual L2 charger versus just plugging into a 240v dryer outlet is that the charger has a brain. The car has a brain too, you can set off-peak charging from the car.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:56 PM   #1788
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
It all depends on your house, and your street load. I was able to call for an upgrade and my transformer was not overloaded, so they did that part free. The potential expense is upgrading the panel and getting power to where it is needed.

But ya, if you are considering this, I'd do it soon before everyone is trying to do it in 5 years.
True for the first few but reality is the grid can’t handle more peak so charging will need to dovetail in with other uses, which should work fine.
Old 01-10-2024, 06:58 PM   #1789
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It also mentioned the benefits of having an actual L2 charger versus just plugging into a 240v dryer outlet is that the charger has a brain. The car has a brain too, you can set off-peak charging from the car.
Yes, I still would’ve had an L2 charger and yes you can set off peak but if you are exceeding your panel load the relay will be necessary to manage the load, you can’t do that at the charger.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:43 AM   #1790
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/

Hertz is selling a good chunk of their EV fleet because of increased costs from collision damage and repairs. They are going back to gas cars.
Old 01-11-2024, 09:50 AM   #1791
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla's can cost a lot to repair and repair times can be excessive while waiting for parts.

That, and they mention "consumer preference" which I get, because who wants to be on vacation and deal with something totally unknown? I think as more people own EV's, they'll be more likely to rent them. Hertz probably went a bit too deep too early on this one.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 10:28 AM   #1792
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...et-2024-01-11/

Hertz is selling a good chunk of their EV fleet because of increased costs from collision damage and repairs. They are going back to gas cars.
It would have been nice if those were available for purchase here. I wouldn't mind seeing a ton of top trim EVs hit our market for around $40-60K CAD.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:26 PM   #1793
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Curious to know the range of a Tesla in Calgary this weekend given the weather
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 05:22 PM   #1794
Whynotnow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Curious to know the range of a Tesla in Calgary this weekend given the weather
Really depends, if I had to guess based on ours, a fully charged to 100 percent(most people would never do this), long range model Y, newer model with heat pump - 250- 275 km. Highly variable on speed being travelled etc.

We keep ours charged to 80 percent, Edmonton temperatures are pretty equal and I’m guessing we’d get in the neighborhood of 200km. That said I took it to an appointment today, hit preheat just before I came out and it was nicely ready to go in minutes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whynotnow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 07:27 AM   #1795
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

We currently are renting at Mercedes eqb. We reserved a ev6 but it wasn’t ready so offered us the Mercedes which I thought would be nicer. What a useless, ugly car for the price! I couldn’t believe it doesn’t even have any kind of adaptive cruise control or lane keeping features. Quite sluggish and not much range. There are so many other better options that go for 10-20000 less than this.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2024, 09:03 AM   #1796
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

My Q4 is taking probably a 45% range hit or so compared to summer. I'd estimate about 225 km of range for this type of weather.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 01:30 PM   #1797
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Not fully EV, but our 2023 Outlander PHEV was parked at the Park and Jet while we were away in Cabo for the last week... we returned last night and the car was DEAD... Uber'd home, went back this morning to get it jumped and get it home, only to get a warning that the main batteries are too cold to start the vehicle (so the ICE won't start because the main batteries are froze).

So now I have two options, have the car towed to a dealership so it can warm up in the bay or wait till the weather warms up. I am waiting for a call back from Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance. FML
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 02:21 PM   #1798
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Not fully EV, but our 2023 Outlander PHEV was parked at the Park and Jet while we were away in Cabo for the last week... we returned last night and the car was DEAD... Uber'd home, went back this morning to get it jumped and get it home, only to get a warning that the main batteries are too cold to start the vehicle (so the ICE won't start because the main batteries are froze).

So now I have two options, have the car towed to a dealership so it can warm up in the bay or wait till the weather warms up. I am waiting for a call back from Mitsubishi Roadside Assistance. FML
Can park and jet plug it in for a while? I know Park2Go will do that if you have a cord. Does a phev even have a block heater?

Edit. or put a slow charger on it?

Last edited by chedder; 01-14-2024 at 02:26 PM.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:48 PM   #1799
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post

This can happen to a Toyota hybrid (no plug-in option) if the high voltage battery goes dead there is zero way to charge it. None. Zip. The engine will not start.

There is a way to charge the high voltage battery but it is dangerous and overall sketchy I won't go into how I did it here. Hope you find a simple solution.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 11:34 AM   #1800
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Tesla's can cost a lot to repair and repair times can be excessive while waiting for parts.

That, and they mention "consumer preference" which I get, because who wants to be on vacation and deal with something totally unknown? I think as more people own EV's, they'll be more likely to rent them. Hertz probably went a bit too deep too early on this one.
EVs seem great if you have a garage at home with a charger in it. Most people rarely have to find a charger.

This is the opposite of most use cases for rentals. You show up in a strange city, maybe knowing nothing about how to find EV chargers if you don't have an EV yourself, and it's just going to be frustrating.

Weird use case to chase. Things like runabout city fleet vehicles seem way more ideal to start with.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: