Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #1781
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I'm sure we are all well aware of the benefits of oil outside of just 'fuel' for transportation, but lets not kid ourselves. If there is a viable way to fuel our transportation with something other than an oil based product, Alberta is completely screwed.

I don't see it as being a sudden change though. The cost-benefit factor has to exist too, and its not like a fusion reactor will come cheap.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:00 PM   #1782
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Obviously a bunker loaded with canned goods, and a whole bunch of hamsters for power generation (until you can get hold of a miniature fusion-powered generator).

It powers my flux capacitor, but my Delorean still requires gasoline....
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #1783
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ice Player View Post
Major scientific breakthroughs lead to more breakthroughs. My hope is that it could be done in a period of peace, which unfortunately is not something mankind has a good track record in. When you think about it, the USA is the world's largest consumer of energy. Fusion would end America's dependency on foreign oil. The countries who supply that energy will be kinda screwed, including Canada to some degree.
The USA, I think, exited 2012 as the world's second largest producer of oil and its dependence on foreign oil is shrinking after peaking in 2005.

The USA is actually a net exporter of all petroleum products.

Fusion is cool but it would take a long, long time to turn the petroleum ship onto the rocks.

Cowperson
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #1784
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And according to the latest climate change thread on here, we only have 16 years till we're screwed, so might as well burn it all to the ground and have our fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #1785
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ignoring the short term downturn or total collapse of our provincial economy, the benefit to our species/planet on a whole with unlimited clean energy is just to amazing not to fantasize about it.

I hadn't even thought about the desalinization aspect of it, and I'm sure there are other applications that have the potential to improve the entire planets quality of life. Hell it could change the entire mindset of our species... I'm not so pie in the sky delusional to think that we'd all join hands and sing Kumbayah around the fire, but with limitless energy it'd give us one less thing to kill each other over.

This is all based on if this technology was introduced properly.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:22 PM   #1786
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Ignoring the short term downturn or total collapse of our provincial economy, the benefit to our species/planet on a whole with unlimited clean energy is just to amazing not to fantasize about it.

I hadn't even thought about the desalinization aspect of it, and I'm sure there are other applications that have the potential to improve the entire planets quality of life. Hell it could change the entire mindset of our species... I'm not so pie in the sky delusional to think that we'd all join hands and sing Kumbayah around the fire, but with limitless energy it'd give us one less thing to kill each other over.

This is all based on if this technology was introduced properly.
Problem is human beings are greedy,countries are greedy and a tonne of economy's depend on oil. A country like Russia would crumble without oil, how long before someones twitch muscles start throwing around a few of their 16,000 nukes.

This kind of technology would have to be controlled and phased in very very slowly, problem is humans also can't keep anything under wraps.

Last edited by T@T; 02-23-2013 at 11:28 PM.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #1787
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The thing is that the upside of it might offset the downside. Why do countries need money? To provide for their populations, well this would let them do that without money. Why do they need a militarily? To protect their resources. Who will want their resources when they have their own cheap limitless energy?

I think to reduce the impact you have to make them for all countries and push them out evenly.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #1788
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Chances are the technology would be used in the military first to give the US an even bigger advantage. From there it MIGHT slowly be added to the civilian world.

Question you have to ask, say in 20 years the US has completely switched from coal to natural gas, and with good prices everything is humming right along. Given the inevitable expensive price tag of a fusion reactor for both electricity generation and transportation, what exactly will motivate the US, or any other 1st world country to introduce the technology on a global scale?

Unless the technology is SO simple that anyone can build it(which it won't be for a LONG time).....I don't think it will 'change the world' the way everyone is thinking.

If the US is the first country to come up with it, they will introduce it throughout the military, and keep companies like Lockheed from selling it to anyone else.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #1789
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
US private sector hopes to send older couple to Mars

A team led by millionaire and former space tourist Dennis Tito plans to send a "tested couple" to Mars and back in a privately funded mission...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21603490

The mission would loop around Mars, but would not land
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:30 AM   #1790
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21603490

The mission would loop around Mars, but would not land
500+ days just to do a flyby...no thanks

And whats the point of a couple? by the time they get back they'll surely hate each other,better off with a few guys and even more hookers.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #1791
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
500+ days just to do a flyby...no thanks

And whats the point of a couple? by the time they get back they'll surely hate each other,better off with a few guys and even more hookers.
It's extremely difficult to snort blow of their hooters in a zero gravity enviroment.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #1792
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The plan was to choose a middle-aged couple because their health and fertility would be less affected by the radiation they would be exposed to during such a long space mission.
I thought one of the "main" issues with a Mars mission is that the amount of radiation that people would be exposed to on the journey would be a little more severe than just a lowered sperm count. I read that the shielding required would make the craft unrealistically large given current tech.

Of course 500+ days cooped up with a wife/husband, radiation killing them is probably the least likely cause of death. A year and a half of "what's wrong honey?" "NOTHING!!!" ... yeah it'd be murder/suicide.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #1793
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scientists have unearthed extraordinarily preserved fossils of a 520-million-year-old sea creature, one of the earliest animal fossils ever found, according to a new study.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/500-million...180743101.html
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #1794
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://news.discovery.com/space/gala...mkcpgn=fbdsc17

Astronomers have conclusively measured the spin of a black hole for the first time by detecting the mind-bending relativistic effects that warp space-time at the very edge of its event horizon -- the point of no return, beyond which even light cannot escape.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #1795
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^^Einstein right yet again
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #1796
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/scientists-grow-bacon-from-stem-cells

Quote:
In an effort to make meat production more humane, alleviate hunger and help curb global warming, Dutch researchers have developed a way to grow edible meat in the laboratory from the stem cells of pigs. Although the lab-grown strips of meat don't yet taste or look much like pork (researchers say it has the consistency and feel of scallop), the ramifications for the new technology on the world's food supply could be significant.
Jokes aside, this is really interesting. Personally I'm not very worried about the healthiness of such "meat", and knowing the miracles that the food industry can do with "meat-like products", I see potential for genuine large scale meat production this way within my lifetime. Not necessarily for "bacon", but sausages, minced meat etc.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #1797
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/scientists-grow-bacon-from-stem-cells

Jokes aside, this is really interesting. Personally I'm not very worried about the healthiness of such "meat", and knowing the miracles that the food industry can do with "meat-like products", I see potential for genuine large scale meat production this way within my lifetime. Not necessarily for "bacon", but sausages, minced meat etc.
Cue the extinction of cows.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #1798
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

In an effort to make meat production more humane, alleviate hunger and help curb global warming, Dutch researchers have developed a way to grow edible meat in the laboratory from the stem cells of pigs. Although the lab-grown strips of meat don't yet taste or look much like pork (researchers say it has the consistency and feel of scallop), the ramifications for the new technology on the world's food supply could be significant.

This is old news. The scientists on "Better Off Ted" did this a couple of years ago.

Cowperson
Old 03-03-2013, 08:24 AM   #1799
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
This is old news. The scientists on "Better Off Ted" did this a couple of years ago.

Cowperson
"How does it taste?"

"It tastes like. . . despair."
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #1800
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
"How does it taste?"

"It tastes like. . . despair."