Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 04:22 AM   #161
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 11-24-2023, 04:26 AM   #162
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see why the hiring of his junior coach wasn't welcomed

It's kind of like having your high school teacher show up to mentor you at your job later.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:28 AM   #163
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Reasons why he'd want to leave:
- Fiance would be happier in literally any other market
- More privacy in general
- Can move closer to home if he desires
- Better chance of winning / more competitive team
- Warmer weather literally anywhere
- More entertainment / fun things on days off
- Less travel
- Less media / no media clowns
- Has his pick of any city he wants to play in
- More competent management wherever he chooses to sign
- Better prospects in the pipe wherever he chooses to sign to keep his team competitive over the duration of his next contract
- Not being in Edmonton

Reasons why he might want to stay
- Single franchise legacy
- Potentially stay with his friend Draisaitl (who will more than likely leave first)
He'd have to give up his all-black mansion and mini-basketball court though
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:36 AM   #164
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Speaking of that house…“Could get a better Fiance” should be on the list.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 07:39 AM   #165
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Wouldn’t be an issue. If he leaves, Oiler fans will burn it down because he “betrayed” them.

He can collect the insurance money, sell the land and he’s good to go.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 07:47 AM   #166
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do wonder in hindsight if some of the highest level, elite of elite athletes sometimes "regret" taking the money in their contracts and if they would rather have some additional control and input in decisions.

Mcdavid's contract initially was 13.25 million agreed upon but when some roster moves meant they would not have had the same flexibility, he went with 12.5.

I am totally for getting paid and I would argue that in SOME ways, some of the best in the NHL may be underpaid overall when it comes to their economic impact for the respective teams. On the other hand, going without sniffing a championship for Mcdavid and other's might also be a tough pill to swallow.

I recall Tom Brady would always restructure his NFL contract for way less than market value, in order to sign players he thought would help him and his team be and stay competitive. He did win 7 Superbowls, appeared in 10 and lost 3, countless division championships, deep playoff runs and more. He would would say things like " I don't need the extra 5 million, I need an O-line or D or receivers so that I can win"

If I was ever in someone like Mcdavid's position, knowing what I know about how hard it is to win. I would do some crazy things. I would retire, sign a new lower AAV deal, make sure the savings went to areas of need and than have a handshake deal on partial team ownership or something down the road to make up for it.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 07:51 AM   #167
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Eddie Lack knows how no good the Oilers are:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1727860887564992902
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tkachukwagon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 07:54 AM   #168
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

You could make a good argument that Crosby's big 12 x $8.7M contract was signed in the interest of making the team better over time, and it worked. He has the rings to show for it, he was slightly underpayed to start, but even now because of cap movement as he approaches his late 30s and seems to have slowed down a big, his contract will still look fairly good by market standards for the final couple years.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 07:57 AM   #169
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I do wonder in hindsight if some of the highest level, elite of elite athletes sometimes "regret" taking the money in their contracts and if they would rather have some additional control and input in decisions.

Mcdavid's contract initially was 13.25 million agreed upon but when some roster moves meant they would not have had the same flexibility, he went with 12.5.

I am totally for getting paid and I would argue that in SOME ways, some of the best in the NHL may be underpaid overall when it comes to their economic impact for the respective teams. On the other hand, going without sniffing a championship for Mcdavid and other's might also be a tough pill to swallow.

I recall Tom Brady would always restructure his NFL contract for way less than market value, in order to sign players he thought would help him and his team be and stay competitive. He did win 7 Superbowls, appeared in 10 and lost 3, countless division championships, deep playoff runs and more. He would would say things like " I don't need the extra 5 million, I need an O-line or D or receivers so that I can win"

If I was ever in someone like Mcdavid's position, knowing what I know about how hard it is to win. I would do some crazy things. I would retire, sign a new lower AAV deal, make sure the savings went to areas of need and than have a handshake deal on partial team ownership or something down the road to make up for it.
I'd argue one of the Oilers problems has been giving McDavid too much control. Reports are the he and his team have approved of all the GM hires since he arrived. They hired his agent and former coach now. Brought in his buddy Brown. Asked the team not to trade another buddy. That's just what we have heard about.

Teams don't have much success when run by the players. Look at Gretzky. In Edmonton, Sather was clearly in charge. After leaving, Gretzky always had too much of a say as he brought in as many ex-Oilers as he could and never won again.

Last edited by Eric Vail; 11-24-2023 at 08:10 AM. Reason: punctuation
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:13 AM   #170
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
…“Could get a better Fiance” should be on the list.
Um, gross.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 08:20 AM   #171
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Brady didn't need that extra 5 million from his contract because he set himself up to win so much that he would make up for that with all his sponsorships.

If McDavid was smart he'd do the same as Brady.

I said "If"!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #172
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Reasons why he'd want to leave:
- Fiance would be happier in literally any other market
- More privacy in general
- Can move closer to home if he desires
- Better chance of winning / more competitive team
- Warmer weather literally anywhere
- More entertainment / fun things on days off
- Less travel
- Less media / no media clowns
- Has his pick of any city he wants to play in
- More competent management wherever he chooses to sign
- Better prospects in the pipe wherever he chooses to sign to keep his team competitive over the duration of his next contract
- Not being in Edmonton

Reasons why he might want to stay
- Single franchise legacy
- Potentially stay with his friend Draisaitl (who will more than likely leave first)
It seems likely that if McHobo and Pissy are determined to stay together, then they will also both be leaving money on the table. I can't see any way for Edmonton to commit $30 m to just two roster spots. Under "Reasons why he'd want to leave" you could add that he will earn more money. But, then again, if Draisaitl does not commit to staying in Edmonton next year, then the Oilers would certainly be in a position to give McDavid the highest offer.

So much hinges on what happens next year with Draisaitl.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-24-2023 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 08:27 AM   #173
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Brady didn't need that extra 5 million from his contract because he set himself up to win so much that he would make up for that with all his sponsorships.

I said "If"!
The same option is not there for McDavid. Even the biggest NHL stars only earn a very small fraction in endorsements compared to other "Big Four" athletes.

Quote:
Old 11-24-2023, 08:28 AM   #174
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I said "If"!
A little more difficult when you play in a much less relevant league and have the personality of a piece of chalk.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:01 AM   #175
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

the idea of Mcdavid taking less so a better team can be built around him i get, but honestly if you were Mcdavid, why would you give up money for this reason when this team has shown again and again they cant build a winner or make smart decisions. Give up money, so the management will bring in a James Neal type FA. No thanks.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:10 AM   #176
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Wouldn’t be an issue. If he leaves, Oiler fans will burn it down because he “betrayed” them.

He can collect the insurance money, sell the land and he’s good to go.
Can you sell land in Nogoodville?
I expect all kinds of soil contamination and negative resale values.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:11 AM   #177
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
Speaking of that house…“Could get a better Fiance” should be on the list.
I’m all for ripping on the Oilers to no end but there’s no need to bring his fiancé into it and take a classless shot like that. Be better, like the other 29 teams.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #178
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brady also had a wife who made more money than he did.

Plus after his playing days, he signed a 10-year, $375M contract.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:14 AM   #179
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Oh my god.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 11-24-2023 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 09:15 AM   #180
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You think the Oilers and McDavid should circumvent the cap for their benefit? Wrong thread.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote