Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #161
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Is Philly rebuilding if not and Hanifin won't sign we can make a hockey trade around Travis and Noah.

You still need players during a rebuild. At worst they could flip Hanifin at the deadline for picks and prospects
Think of it from Phillys perspective. Konecny might be their best asset to get a good young cost controlled player, not a pending ufa. That’s why you are hearing names like Broberg in connection to Konecny.

We really don’t make good trading partners. Need to find someone who feels that they are close and needs help on blue line. Hopefully conny can find the right fit.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:21 PM   #162
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is Philly rebuilding if not and Hanifin won't sign we can make a hockey trade around Travis and Noah.

You still need players during a rebuild. At worst they could flip Hanifin at the deadline for picks and prospects
You don’t use you best trade chip for a player you need to flip at the deadline.

They would want a package starting with the 16OA.

Terrible fit.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #163
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Ugh. Please keep Jamie Benn away from the Flames
Yeah, who needs big 78 point Olympians who play meaner than a Japanese hornet.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:28 PM   #164
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see it more like the Flames in 2008

They moved Tanguay along with a 5th (138th) for the 25th pick in that draft and an 09 2nd.

They then flipped the 17th pick and an 09 2nd to the Kings for Cammalleri and the 48th pick in the draft.

Basically the Flames traded Tanguay and a 5th and got Cammalleri a 2nd and moved back 7 spots in the first round.

The Flames could move Noah to Detroit for the 18th pick, 42nd and 43rd picks in the draft. They could acquire Konecny by moving the 16th pick and a combination of other picks/prospects assets the Flyers would want.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:35 PM   #165
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
If the trade were done in conjunction with Lindholm being moved, Mittlestadt would have a shot at #2 C ice time and prime PP time - something he wasn’t getting in BUF. The only thing NHLers like more than money is ice time (which usually translates into more money).
Has Mittlestadt been given that opportunity before though? He was highly touted coming out of his draft so I imagine Buffalo may have given him plenty of opportunity and he just didn't take it and run.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:38 PM   #166
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I see it more like the Flames in 2008

They moved Tanguay along with a 5th (138th) for the 25th pick in that draft and an 09 2nd.

They then flipped the 17th pick and an 09 2nd to the Kings for Cammalleri and the 48th pick in the draft.

Basically the Flames traded Tanguay and a 5th and got Cammalleri a 2nd and moved back 7 spots in the first round.

The Flames could move Noah to Detroit for the 18th pick, 42nd and 43rd picks in the draft. They could acquire Konecny by moving the 16th pick and a combination of other picks/prospects assets the Flyers would want.

I don't think there's any chance Detroit looks to upgrade anything right now. Yzerman is smart in the sense that there's no benefit to fastracking rebuilds. They traded Bertuzzi when they didn't need to. I don't think there's much of a chance they're looking to add anyone right now. In a season or two sure, but I doubt now.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:41 PM   #167
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re: Konecny, he's a little injury prone, no?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 12:42 PM   #168
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reading online there is an absolute desperate need for a center in Minnesota so they could be a trade partner. Marco Rossi was a top 10 pick in 2020 but had some Covid issues and has not really developed yet. Could there be a deal to be made here? Rossi+21st pick+64th pick for Lindholm?
Old 06-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #169
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I don't think there's any chance Detroit looks to upgrade anything right now. Yzerman is smart in the sense that there's no benefit to fastracking rebuilds. They traded Bertuzzi when they didn't need to. I don't think there's much of a chance they're looking to add anyone right now. In a season or two sure, but I doubt now.
It was just and example of how the Flames can indirectly deal Hanifin for Konecny while moving around the draft board a little bit like they did with Tanguay and Cammalleri.
Old 06-17-2023, 12:50 PM   #170
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop27 View Post
Is Lindholm truly a #1 center is the honest question. Or is he just a really good #2? Really all this reminds me of the Iginla years of him never having a true #1. (Which don't exactly grow on trees obviously.)
Yes he's in the range of the 12th-15th best centers in the league. Has a selke nom and a 40 goal season. he will make 8.5 million+ on a 8 year deal. The price for Calgary is probably closer to 9. The question is, can we/do we want to pay the 12th-15th best center in the league 9 million for 8 years.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:04 PM   #171
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Yes he's in the range of the 12th-15th best centers in the league. Has a selke nom and a 40 goal season. he will make 8.5 million+ on a 8 year deal. The price for Calgary is probably closer to 9. The question is, can we/do we want to pay the 12th-15th best center in the league 9 million for 8 years.

The answer is simple to me. Hell no! He's hit his prime and while it may not be a substantial drop it'll certainly be a drop, and so you're paying a premium for past performance vs. forward performance.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:06 PM   #172
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reading online there is an absolute desperate need for a center in Minnesota so they could be a trade partner. Marco Rossi was a top 10 pick in 2020 but had some Covid issues and has not really developed yet. Could there be a deal to be made here? Rossi+21st pick+64th pick for Lindholm?
I'd take a swing on that. Could be a home run.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:07 PM   #173
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Has Mittlestadt been given that opportunity before though? He was highly touted coming out of his draft so I imagine Buffalo may have given him plenty of opportunity and he just didn't take it and run.
He was given that opportunity at 19 on a terrible team with terrible linemates. Then after a couple seasons, management realized that he needed seasoning in the AHL (like 90 per cent of prospects do). Since then he has a more well-rounded game and put up 100 pts in his 162 games playing on the third line. And he’s still only 24, which is the age when a lot of players pop.

I’m not a huge cheerleader for Mittlestadt or anything. I just think he’s the kind of player we’re looking at as part of a realistic return for Hanifin. The Flames don’t want to take a step back this offseason, and my sense is they will prefer 20-24 year old players/prospects to picks. Most of the other offers bandied about (like Jack Quinn) don’t make sense for the other team.

The Flames will be the motivated seller here. They’ll either take one of the offers they get in the next couple weeks, or watch Hanifin walk for nothing next year.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-17-2023 at 01:45 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:15 PM   #174
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Wild definitely need a top-2 C. The problem is they’re capped. So any deal with them will have to be dollars-in-dollars-out, or the Wild will have to pull off a separate deal (or a three-way deal) to shed cap.
Old 06-17-2023, 01:32 PM   #175
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The Wild definitely need a top-2 C. The problem is they’re capped. So any deal with them will have to be dollars-in-dollars-out, or the Wild will have to pull off a separate deal (or a three-way deal) to shed cap.
Add in Marcus foligno and we could retain a bit?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:45 PM   #176
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the chances Rossi actually plays C in the NHL?
He's 5'9 and 182lbs and looks pretty slight.
He's put up almost ppg numbers in the AHL, but Peltier (for example) has put up better numbers (in close to the same number of games); would anyone be wanting to trade Lindholm if Peltier was the main piece?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 01:46 PM   #177
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Add in Marcus foligno and we could retain a bit?
I think Foligno back would work for both teams. Flames bulk up at forward and get an asset for today along with picks/prospects.
Old 06-17-2023, 02:16 PM   #178
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
What are the chances Rossi actually plays C in the NHL?
He's 5'9 and 182lbs and looks pretty slight.
He's put up almost ppg numbers in the AHL, but Peltier (for example) has put up better numbers (in close to the same number of games); would anyone be wanting to trade Lindholm if Peltier was the main piece?
That’s probably the type of prospect they’ll get unless a team gets desperate. Someone who has top six upside but not a sure fire thing
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 02:30 PM   #179
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They have about $9MM to fill 8 spots in their lineup, so they are already in desperate shape.

So, they aren't trading a cheap guy like Rossi plus a great pick + for a guy on the verge of being very expensive.

Minny will need to tread water this year cap wise. They need to likely rid themselves of some cap simply to make budget.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 02:35 PM   #180
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
They have about $9MM to fill 8 spots in their lineup, so they are already in desperate shape.

So, they aren't trading a cheap guy like Rossi plus a great pick + for a guy on the verge of being very expensive.

Minny will need to tread water this year cap wise. They need to likely rid themselves of some cap simply to make budget.
If Flames did retain then they’d have the cap space the next year. Can’t see Lindholm signing in Minnesota unless he gets paid though.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote