Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #161
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I really question this fan base sometimes

https://twitter.com/user/status/1276674792964284416
Yeah that’s idiotic. Especially with how Hockey starved we’ve been. Like one poster said it’s a nice consolation fun chance if we get knocked out but I have a good guy feeling about this team coming back and hitting the ground running.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #162
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1/8 is still not favorable odds.

Cheer to win, and the upside is it'll feel a lot less #####y if we crap the bed.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #163
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. 1 in 8 at the top of the draft board is a comforting insurance marker. Besides, for a team that has never picked top 3, what do you expect in a totally wacky covid thing? Given that the team really didn't inspire much hope in the hockey they did play this year.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:13 PM   #164
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I want the Flames to win more than anything, but that might be the best odds we get at 1st OA in this decade, maybe 2. I don't fault people finally getting a chance at drafting 1st OA, something we've never done before.

My mentality is "Win for the cup" and if we lose in the QR, then I'll be more than happy to get a 1/8 chance for Lafreniere.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #165
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
For some context, Craig Custance polled 10 NHL executives how they'd slot Lafreniere in with the last 10 #1 picks:

1. McDavid
2. Matthews
3. MacKinnon
4. Dahlin
5. Lafreniere
6. Hughes
7. Ekblad
8. Hischier
9. Nugent-Hopkins
10. Hall
Who in their right minds ranks RNH over Hall?

MacKinnon is knocking on McDavid's tier and I'm not sure Matthews is there yet or will be in the future.

Eckblad and Hischier haven't filled out their potential yet and its hard to say if they'll hit the lofty bars set for them back when they were drafted, so they might even be a bit high right now.

Impressive evaluation from guys that are working high up positions in the game. If I were to guess they must be working for lottery teams.

Good for us if GMs see Hall that way, maybe we'll get him for even cheaper than anticipated.

Last edited by djsFlames; 06-27-2020 at 03:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #166
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Im sorry...i just cant wrap my head around anyone preferring their team lose....for any reason, ever. Unless its a meaningless regular season game that would mean keeping a heated rival out of the playoffs or something.

Its quite the opposite of what being a fan actually means...and its a complete loser mentality.

I mean, even if they were guaranteed the 1st overall if they lost to the Jets, there is no chance in hell i would be actively hoping they would do anything else but....win baby!

Sports is about diversion from reality and cheering your team/player/horse whatever to winning. This is not that.

Losers....period.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #167
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Losers....period.
Besides one season since 1989 you've described the Calgary Flames perfectly. Perhaps some salivate at the idea of finally landing a legit game changing talent.

Painting everyone who disagrees with you a loser makes you look childish.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IrishSpring2013 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 03:27 PM   #168
OminousFlames
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I like our chances. The Flames usually suck when it comes to playoff format series anyways. Of course I want the Flames to win.. but unlike in past years when we get knocked out, I won't be too bitter/sad this time around.
OminousFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:29 PM   #169
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Who in their right minds ranks RNH over Hall?

MacKinnon is knocking on McDavid's tier and I'm not sure Matthews is there yet or will be in the future.

Eckblad and Hischier haven't filled out their potential yet and its hard to say if they'll hit the lofty bars set for them back when they were drafted, so they might even be a bit high right now.

Impressive evaluation from guys that are working high up positions in the game. If I were to guess they must be working for lottery teams.
Yeah im with you on McKinnon very close to McDavid, and certainly a more complete player though CM will probably figure some of that out as he gets older as we saw with NM last year.

Matthews is going to be a fascinating story going forward. I dont think he will get to quite the same level as the other two but I can surely see him as being the best goal scorer for a decade or better which always puts fans/media in a tizzy and will mix him in with the best of the best.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:31 PM   #170
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSpring2013 View Post
Besides one season since 1989 you've described the Calgary Flames perfectly. Perhaps some salivate at the idea of finally landing a legit game changing talent.

Painting everyone who disagrees with you a loser makes you look childish.
Hoping your team loses is what is childish...sorry.

Losers.....by definition because they are cheering for losses.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:42 PM   #171
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OminousFlames View Post
I like our chances. The Flames usually suck when it comes to playoff format series anyways. Of course I want the Flames to win.. but unlike in past years when we get knocked out, I won't be too bitter/sad this time around.
If we win then we'll have taken a step to becoming a PO team in back to back years and will be a confidence boost for the growth of the core as well as help solidify the team as a competitive destination for players.

If we lose the qualifier then it will just emphasize how much we need to retool this core and having decents shots at #1 and Hall coming our way will be coming at a perfect time.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #172
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

873 (at time of recording) people who either are or should be Oiler fans.

Losers cheer for losses.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #173
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Losers cheer for losses.
Precisely.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:06 PM   #174
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post

Losers cheer for losses.
The Flames have won four playoff series since 1989.

“Do the exact opposite of everything the Calgary Flames have done over the last 33 years” is a decent starting point for other organizations.

I get the frustrations. I feel it after every failed season. This team is far too conservative. Comfortably irrelevant when it comes to the Stanley Cup.

Sure, Tree is the best manager we’ve had in thirty years - but the results still aren’t there.

...I still don’t cheer for losses, but I understand the frustration that leads a fan down that path.

We didn’t even “rebuild”. We were just incompetent, and then royally failed at “selling” off pieces to start the new era. Everything this team does in relation to the on-ice product is just below-average....but I still love ‘em.

Last edited by ComixZone; 06-27-2020 at 04:11 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #175
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Flames have won four playoff series since 1989.

“Do the exact opposite of everything the Calgary Flames have done over the last 33 years” is a decent starting point for other organizations.

I get the frustrations. I feel it after every failed season. This team is far too conservative. Comfortably irrelevant when it comes to the Stanley Cup.

Sure, Tree is the best manager we’ve had in thirty years - but the results still aren’t there.

...I still don’t cheer for losses, but I understand the frustration that leads a fan down that path.

We didn’t even “rebuild”. We were just incompetent, and then royally failed at “selling” off pieces to start the new era. Everything this team does in relation to the on-ice product is just below-average....but I still love ‘em.
Yup. And then the holier than thou calling other fans losers on top of that really makes hockey fun to watch and be a part of.

I guess just like the Oilers there's two tiers of fans.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:22 PM   #176
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe when the Flames start winning votes will change. God forbid fans hope for a little hope.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #177
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That vote tells me that many Flames fans don't believe this team is good enough to get very far so a win against the Jets would be about all the excitement they believe they would get out of it, where as a 1st overall talent like Lafreniere might be the nudge needed to push this team over the hump or at least give them the resources to do so.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #178
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it was a 100% chance of Lafrenierre, then maybe it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to lose? a 1/8 chance though is not enough to say so. It would be nice if we did get him, but it would be better to beat the Jets and then go on.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 04:36 PM   #179
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those that prefer losing probably just believe there is greater chance that they'd land #1 than win the cup, and that's probably true. 1/8 > 1/16 and that fraction is probably more generous than the true odds.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:41 PM   #180
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Those that prefer losing probably just believe there is greater chance that they'd land #1 than win the cup, and that's probably true. 1/8 > 1/16 and that fraction is probably more generous than the true odds.
Yeah.

I'd argue that if the Flames were to beat Winnipeg, they'd have a less than a 1 in 8 chance to win the playoff series against their next opponent in what would be the actual 1st round.

1/16 to win the whole thing but what would the real odds be? A lot worse than that no doubt.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: